10 May, 2016

CD Recommendations - Classical

CD Recommendations - Classical (Click on pic for reviews/details)
CD I am Playing
The name Sokolov is enough. Content also filmed.

CD
Excellent new works comissioned by Gabetta.
CD
Incomparable Dvorak from Panocha Quartet, Suk Trio and friends.
CD
First rate performances from names new to me.

CD
Great pianist at the service of music

CD
Top choice for the War Sonatas
 
CD 
Sterling production from these forces, as usual. Unusual world music material.
CD
Bravura performances highly suited to the genre.

CD/LPs I am playing now
 I have never heard of Gottfried Finger before, but this magnificent Viol disc certainly changes that!

CD

Stylish readings of under-rated music; superb recorded sound.
 
CD

Best set of Bach's solo violin works I have heard in a LONG time! Watch this name!
 
CD
Surprisingly mature playing and interpretation from a young violinist!
CD
Superbly played piano CD; never a boring moment! Ranks with the very bests.
 
CD
One of the most sympathetic Rachmaninov pianists I have heard in a while.
CD
Unknown music wonderfully performed.
 
CD
A must for violin lovers, in excellent mono sound.
 
CD
A great example of non-sentimental yet exciting Mahler. Beautifully recorded.
CD
Ultra sophisticated playing that turns these little gems into masterpieces.

CD
The best solo violin disc I have heard in a long long time. A MUST!

CD
Stunning second installment in this double cycle.
 
CD
Fantastic! Bach on the Accordion and Bandoneon, aided by some friends. Have been listening non-stop.

CD
Hilary Hahn has been contributing to the violin repertoire with comissions and stimulating partnerships. This is not something to go through in one sitting but many pieces are very fine.




CD/LPs I am playing now
Stunningly recorded recital, beautiful playing; must-buy!
CD

Mostly mono, but well re-mastered. Sublime Playing!

CD
Lola Bobesco is much underated. Her fluid playing makes the Viotti surprisingly captive. Wonderful!

SACD

SACD
Stylish accounts
CD I am Playing
Controversial performance full of details that should be heard at least once.
 
SACD I am Playing
Wonderful original instrument Beethoven cycle.
SACD
Wonderful performance and recording.

SACD I am playing
Good performance and excellent recording. 
SACD
Superb! Lucid readings and the usual pristine sound from Channel Classics
SACD
refreshing reading of one of my favorite pieces
SACD
Gergiev gives his usual pointed reading with his band

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations! Always on the look out for good classical recordings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete
    2. I picked up Augustin Hadelich's "Flying Solo" and Amandine Beyer's Bach solo violin CD after seeing your glowing recommendations. You are absolutely right about Hadelich's solo playing. Even though I'm not familiar with many pieces on the CD, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it! His immersive style of playing and excellent recording had me glued to my sofa.

      Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin are my go-to violin listening pieces, and I've listened to most of the "big name" violinists play it. To my surprise, Ms Beyer's interpretation is very refreshing and is not like anything I've heard! Definitely a good compliment my collection.

      I look forward to listening to your other recommendations in the future.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I am glad you liked them as I do. As you know, taste can be really personal. Regrading Amandine Beyer, I was surprised myself that I liked it so much. This is one great thing about the public library, where I borrowed almost every one of the recordings recommended. I would never have tried these discs out otherwise. Of course, I have heard plenty of bad performances too, but one can just "stop" and move on! :-)

      Enjoy, and thanks.

      Delete
  2. I had the privilege of hearing Augustin Hadelich perform with the Louisville Orchestra earlier this year, and you are right, he is an amazing young man!
    Thank you for these recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard him at NYC's Town Hall, and had been following him since! Every one of his recordings are superb!

      Delete