15 February, 2023

Entreq Micro Kit Groundbox


Sometimes, Things Just Happen, Part II
Letter from Hong Kong (23-2): ELO reports on Entreq, Part II

Part I

Enter the Ground Box from Entreq
My friend who loaned me the Nait I loaned this ground box to me. A lot of people may have heard about Entreq, a brand that has a lot of diehard followers, and their products can sell up to over $200K USD!!! The entry model Micro Kit, just slightly larger than the power supply for my Aiyima A08 Pro, comes with a ground cable and sells for 250 USD, which is very affordable compared to their top models, which can sell up to over 200K USD!!! It is said to be designed mainly for headphone amps and so I guessed it may be good for my preamp too.

My DIY Tourmaline ground box had brought significant improvements to my system (here). I had also brought it around to try out in many friends' systems (including uber expensive ones) and had never failed to persuade them to connect their setups with either DIY or branded ground boxes to improve the sound. In general, the result is darker background and smoother sound, without the “noise” that sometimes fatigues people. Another important improvement is the heightening of the musicality, coherence and passion of musicians. This has been proven, but how is one box different from another? How will a DIY unit stand against a famous brand? These are things that I have always been wanted to find out; deep down I believed there would be some difference, but perhaps not a whole lot.

I brought the Micro Kit home and hooked it up immediately. At once, I heard a difference but, since I had only listened for 30 minutes and my boss took over the living room, I reluctantly retreated. The next morning, I listened to it briefly before going to work. I thought I did hear something different, for better or for worse, and that lingered all day in my mind during work. It felt like something amazing had happened to my setup but yet I could not fully grasp it at the time.

It did not take too much testing, and I was soon fully convinced. “Transform” is a word which I would like to use judiciously. I try to not use it too often so as not to discredit myself (much like Crying wolf). This time, I literally heard my system transformed from "barely listenable" to highly enjoyable! Another incredible thing is, with the Entreq the Viard HD12 became the Cable of Choice in my system! I'm sure many has cut it into half to try figure it out and I would like to hear any feedback on DIY Clone Entreq and its performance against the genuine one.

There are three possibilities that made this happen. First, replacing the last RCA interconnect with “Studer”; second, burn-in of my Viard HD12 speaker cable; and third, introduction of the Entreq Ground Box. The transformation started after the Studer’s installation, and set the stage for VIARD’s burning in. Theoretically, it should not surpass the Luna Orange. And so, I concluded the only answer for what happened was the Entreq Micro Kit!

What exactly has happened?? For the first time in so many years, I can actually enjoy music without feeling that I had missed anything or being analytical! Of coz, if I can be uber critical - I can think highs can be higher, lows can be lower, soundstage can be deeper and wider etc etc. What amazed me is the musicality and naturalness of the music on all music genres that I play through the system. The music seems to liven up! Musicians are feeding off each other, the increased harmonics on all notes connect to everything before and after and make the whole chain flow fluidly. Most valuably, microdynamics is preserved and I can hear the energy and emotions of all music pieces as if I have a deeper understanding on why it is being played that way by brilliant musicians. PRAT is being preserved in such a delicate way and without a hint of coarseness. Often, I caught myself listening to songs just to experience pure enjoyment but not to find fault in it. I am totally immersed into the deep sea of music and letting it carry my thoughts to the core of music!

One Micro vs Two Micro's (vs DIY or all-of-the-above)
If one Micro Kit brings me such wonderful experience, what will it be if I use two? Answer is an assertive yes! It will improve the sound differently depending on where you connect it to. I found hooking the Micro to the back of a Wifi router, even without a proper adaptor (I simply had to force my way into the rear of the ports LOL), the outcome was quite amazing as the increase in clarity and separation was significant! Hooking it to the preamp will yield a more coherent sound as well as increase in macro- and micro-dynamics, PRAT. As a result, it has become more musical and engaging and the sound had a jump factor. As the separation and difference between ffff and fff, or pppp to ppp are more noticeable, I tend to hear more deeply into the music, like have I never before. And I’m exploring all genres of classical music, which are more demanding to the setup in this respect than jazz or pop music.

I had to reluctantly return my second loaner Entreq Micro and used only one Micro instead of two. To add salt to my wound, all of a sudden the DC jack of my DIY Rayaudio PS had problem in connection to my Wattson Emerson Analog and I had to use the stock PS (not bad, but still I immediately sensed the loss of sheen, smooth lines and delineation). I definitely hear the edges and coarseness around the instruments and vocals. However, there is still no loss of musicality and involvement - luckily!

What I also did was to use my DIY ground box together with the Entreq Micro in order to get as much noise shielding as I can. Conclusion is the more the merrier, and if you can only connect to one component, I would suggest connecting to sources first, like, wifi router, network switches, streamer, CD Player and DACs et,  and later to preamps and amps, or even to speakers!

Any improvement is welcome but will be icing on the cake as I am so content that I am now keeping my current setup except to look for a higher Entreq model instead. Once I thought it’s a snake oil product, but it has turned myself into a believer!

Higher recommended. Try at least a decent DIY product or, if one can afford, start with an Entreq Micro Kit. It is a super-value product by Entreq to get us hooked to their products!! I have no regrets and am in fact extremely satisfied. Next step up perhaps may be the Entreq Silver Tellus Minimus~

To sum up the improvement, here are my observations: 1) Musical notes connect to give a fluidity and music seems to flesh out; 2) Darker background, the more ground boxes implemented the merrier; 3) Did not dry up the sound like some network switches or ground boxes; 4) More air and shimmer around the instruments; 5) Better transients of real guitars, violin, cello and piano; 6) Significantly enhances the enjoyment of Classical music; 7) Spatial representation improved, better imaging and layering as a result; 8) Increases micro and macro dynamics; 9) Way more musical and involving. Suddenly, music played through my setup makes sense to me, if you know what I am getting at; 10) Less digital harshness and edginess; 11) More harmonics and attenuation of instruments; 12) Improved low level details, can distinguish from pppp to ppp and ffff to fff effortlessly - it just comes to you instead of me needing to concentrate on it; 13) Makes you feel at ease and settle down to simply enjoy the music , not analyzing this and that or lack thereof.





14 comments:

  1. this works for me without the ridiculous costs of the micro

    【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.UnI6znw?tk=N3jbdS0TYWu CZ3457 「声韵镇店正品hifi发烧音响接地盒调音地盒电子黑洞电源净化器滤波」
    点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are u the guy who commented on Beydas and Anubis?

      Delete
    2. Yes Doc!

      Delete
  2. Benefits of the doubt, not all ground boxes are equal, it is the content inside that matters, not the wooden box. But perhaps DrJ should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 (small sized Aucharm ground box) connected to the negative pole of each of the Beydas 15ohms and it takes the pair’s performance to another dimension: tightl taut bass, extended layering of details, increased sound stage and musicality and tonality akin to fine aged whiskey Try it! It’s a sin not to when the Aucharm ground boxes are a steal at TB prices ! Those who tried please share your listening afterthoughts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. joeli54@rogers.comFebruary 17, 2023

    Does anyone try (1) lift up all the ground poles?and (2) only grounded at the preamp. Find out the differences with the ground box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Doc and @Elo - attaching the ground box to the -ve pole of the speakers was and still is, inspired by: Creative Concept Pigtails (please google, now probably defunct). The “science” or marketing lingo then was that the EMF (electro motive force) generated by the backward/contraction of the woofer during operations adversely affects the sound quality due to distortion. The pigtails were attached to the -ve pole to absorb and dampen the emf. You can try with the +ve pole too!

    https://tmraudio.com/accessories/miscellaneous/creative-cable-concepts-jpt-s-pig-tails-back-emf-reduction-pair-1-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to disappoint you fellows. even back a long time ago I've heard a lot of those "pigtails", some oil-immersioned and expensive, but all of them used by audiophiles whose basic systems are not balanced (likely because they tweak too much rather than put emphasis on basics). Suffice to say, not at all impressed. I'm only speaking for myself, not ELO.

      Delete
    2. Try the el cheapo Aucharm boxes on you speakers (negative pole per channel) when you have the time and mood, perhaps

      Delete
    3. I did not get the Aucharm but instead , I made two cheapo ground "coffee cup" filled with tourmalin stone connected to the -ve post of speakers and the effect of ground box magnifies with more air and sheen while the speed seems to slow down a bit. I need to hear a bit more to make a conclusion~

      Delete
    4. For DIY ground box, the key is watermelon tourmaline (碧玺)not the common black tourmaline.
      For Aucharm (likely entreq too) the key is graphene powder (石墨烯)
      Lest I am misconstrued as pushing the Aucharm brand, somehow there seems to be a ratio and types of materials that make up the content of one Aucharm box, from their write up on TB. Where I am from,
      Tumbled Watermelon Tourmaline retails for $25HKD/100g.

      I’m sure, assuming you’re from PRC or SAR, you may be able to get the watermelon tourmaline even cheaper.

      On the contrary to dulling of speed as you have experienced, I’ve gotten more PRAT. Remember, you need one ground box per -ve pole of each left and right speaker: Happy tweaking!

      Delete
    5. Have you opened up the Aucharm etc?

      Delete
    6. No I haven’t.
      Doing so will destroy the nailess wood joints. The write up and sound reasoning here is more than enough for me: 【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.UKd6Tgc?tk=bxGxdjbjwII CZ0001 「声韵镇店正品hifi发烧音响接地盒调音地盒电子黑洞电源净化器滤波」
      点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

      Delete