07 May, 2019

Altec A7, B&W Matrix 801 MkII, Lenco L75, Decca Arm and Cartridges, Elekit TU-8150, VAS Shun Mook Cartridge


NY Diary (19-1)

This article marks the first of a new column. In NY Diary there will not be in-depth audio discussions, rather throwing out odds and ends and loading more photos that may interest people.

Chez Kevin Yesterday, a beautiful day, Andy, James and I visited Kevin (last write-up here) to listen to his new DIY crossovers for the Altec A7's, which were driven by Citation I and McIntosh MC-30. Compared to the stock one, we all think it has potential; of course, after the arrival of the B&W Matrix 801 MkII, the horns were pushed back and for me it will not sound as good as when it was up front. I also listened to the 801 driven by all CJ combo (the Premier 8 monoblocks were loaners from R). Not bad, but as everyone knows, CJ is just not my cup of tea.

The refurbished Lenco L75 is more my type of stuff. Before the others arrived, I listened to two different Decca cartridges on the Decca arm. I much prefer the stock one than the one with Van den Hul stylus. I also briefly listened to the Rabco arm with Pickering 380 (elliptical stylus in lieu of spherical).

But I actually spent most of my time at the lunch table. Kevin is an excellent cook. On this occasion, the braised pork with dried beans and the spicy twice cooked pork were just delightful, enhanced immensely by the Red that Andy brought. Thanks to Andy and Kevin!

A Day in the Rain My HK friend shidi and his wife Jane are in NYC for the Met's Ring and more. I figured they should listen to my horns. So on Sunday, despite the rain, they came to Flushing. Shidi is a jazz connoiseur, and he was astonished by the 2.9 watt Elekit TU-8150 driving my YL horns. They also got to briefly listen to the VAS Shun Mook DL-103 (with short Ruby cantilever), which shall be reviewed later. The speed and tight bass was up his alley and he is now thinking of sending his defunct Dynavector 17D for Steve to repair.

Follies Our world's leaders have such abundant personalities that all kinds of impersonators spring up everywhere, including HK. Of course there are also pranksters who graft their images onto everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment