31 January, 2019

B&W 801 Mk II, Belden 1810A



Brief Follow Up: B&W Matrix 801 Mk II
Belden 1810A Loudspeaker Cable

Since our last visit, our indefatigable friend Kevin had (once again) revamped his audio setups - for the sole purpose of allowing his beloved B&W's more room to breathe.

By pushing the horns backward, the 801's could be placed more backwards and further apart, as seen in top pic (compare with old setup in right pic). It thus forms a long isosceles triangle with the listener.

As I wrote in my report on the last visit, I'd not have done it this way. Were it up to me, I'd have moved them further forward, and then pull them apart, to form more of an equilateral triangle with the listener. More near field in this large space would not have been a bad thing - it would largely eliminate room effects for both the B&W's and the horns.

Nonetheless, as it is, the sound was excellent. While I know the sound stage could be even wider and deeper (if placed more forward), the tonal balance was very good and there was plenty of heft in playback, which is as it should be. Note that for this visit the Bass Alignment Module was in place (I didn't get to hear the system without it, which I'd like to next time). Although the pic shows a transistor amp below the the tube amp, it was not in use.

Besides the re-positioning, Kevin elevated the front of the 801's considerably, thus raising the soundstage and image size. To my thinking, that probably accounted for at least half the improvement.

Belden 1810A (official data sheet) I'd take this opportunity to talk about this cable, my go-to for bi-wiring, also used with great results on my pair of 801 in HK (here). This is a 4-conductor loudspeaker cable with solid performance. It is a bargain, but those interested may face the problem of not being able to get a good price for small quantities (a group buy is a good idea).

Sonically, the 1810A cannot be faulted in any department. From my own considerable experience, one of its greatest merits is its ability to match with a diversity of (good) loudspeakers. Before my B&W 801, I have used it on Magnepan SMG, Spendor LS 3/5A, Harbeth LS 5/12A, Sonus faber Signum, Proac Response 1 and 2, to name just a few, all to sterling effect. As a matter of fact, after I acquired the 1810A, I have never used any other cable for bi-wiring. Highly Recommended.

In Kevin's setup, he uses two different cables for bi-wiring (usually not a good idea in my book). On my visit, he was reluctant but obliged me. To my ears the Belden 1810A sounded more coherent, with a larger soundstage and more air, but I know he may think differently.

Kevin is a DIY person, making a large number of cables. He also recently DIY'ed a nice record weight using discarded industrial material. And, thanks for the wonderful lamb stew!

2 comments:

  1. Hello sir, you think the Belden 1810A, is better then two of the belden 9497 for bi wiring. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Belden 1810A is a little darker sounding than the 9497, and I'd think it can carry more current than 9497 x 2. Better or not is hard to say, but I have always been satisfied. A little on the expensive side though.

      Delete