05 January, 2019

Intrepid

USS Intrepid

More about the pic.

The Intrepid Audiophile

I love Museums, but mostly those housing Art. For non-art museums, I have to say the Intrepid Museum in NYC must be my favorite (browse the USS Intrepid's history, fascinating). And it took me only 36 years to visit it (it opened in 1982)! Never too late!

I took an intense interest in the equipment. As a tube aficionado, I am mindful of the fact that most, if not all, electronic equipment from WW II to the Vietnam War (at least) were tube equipment. And so, on the Intrepid, I scrutinized every meter, every box. For pics below, click to enlarge.

Tube collectors will recognize Westinghouse.


The Telephone is made by Stromberg Carlson, an illustrious name.


This is new to me. I know Western Electric, of course, and also Northern Electric (Canadian), but not Northwestern Electric!

No comments:

Post a Comment