03 January, 2019

Bruno Walter Mahler

Bruno Walter: Mahler
CD and LP Recommendation - Classical


Today I was surprised by the web edition of Stereophile, which published a 1963 article by J Gordon Holt, highly praising Bruno Walter's Stereo Mahler 1st (Columbia Symphony).

Personally I feel Walter's recordings of some of the Mahler Symphonies have never been surpassed, only sometimes equalled. They are essentials in the Mahler cannon.

The 1st is a record I have cherished ever since my first foray into classical's. Mine was an Odyssey reissue. I have always regarded it as one of the very best. My other favorite is the cataclysmic Kletzki/VPO recording, perhaps followed by Horenstein/LSO.

Image result for walter mahler 2Walter's Mahler Stereo 2nd (NYPO) was my first version, and it has remained my preferred version. The all-important opening imho has never been better served, so atmospheric it is. Mine was also the Odyssey reissue, and I still love that cover!

Image result for mahler 9 walter odysseyWalter's Mahler 4th and 5th are in good sounding mono, and very good, but perhaps not as outstanding as the 1st or 2nd.

When it comes to the 9th, Walter (Columbia Symphony) again is supreme. Mine is the Odyssey re-issue, and again I love the artwork! But what is even more unforgettable is the ancient/mono VPO version, sonic limitations notwithstanding.

And then there is Das Lied von der Erde, and I love both his versions for Decca (mono; VPO/Ferrier/Patzak) and the under-rated Columbia (stereo; NYPO/Miller/Hafliger).

There is a great survey on Musicweb-International of Mahler by Tony Duggan, a reliable guide:

Mahler 1st
Mahler 2nd
Mahler 4th
Mahler 5th
Mahler 9th

You can see Walter is always there.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Doctorjohn,

    It might interest you to know that the Resurrection was recorded over three days in February 1958 in Carnegie Hall. It is one of the best Odyssey issues I've heard, truly marvelous. I don't have an earlier pressing to compare with, but I can warn you not to bother with the CD reissue in the Bruno Walter Edition series. It is awful!

    You mentioned a friend who favors Columbia records as compared to other vintage labels. I agree, when you find a good pressing, which can be like the needle in the haystack. I'm listening to Walter's Bruckner 7 right now, a 2-eye in a set of Walter's stereo Bruckner 4, 7, and 9. The sound is great in every regard.

    Best wishes,

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for your input. It's time to pull those Bruckner's out for a listen! I love the 9th And I agree many of the CD's were pretty awful. :-)

      Delete