09 September, 2023

Tannoy GRF Memory JBL 4320


Click pics to enlarge. JBL 4320 in front of Tannoy GRF Memory. Japanese (100V) 2A3 amp in foreground. Dared 300B PSE monoblocks in cabinet, atop of which are the Harmon Kardon Citation I and Lafayette Preamps. Cary 300B SEI atop a McIntosh Preamp. The shelf above shows McIntosh MR71 tuner, atop of which a Cary preamp and to the left a WE421A amp. More vintage on the shelf above, including Eico.

Letter from NYC (23-10): Labor Day Weekend+, Part I (Saturday), Labor of Love

Written in Shenzhen. Updated 9/10/23: Some corrections, re-writes and expansion (shaded boxes). Latest Video of  JBL 4320 added.

The weekdays before the Labor Day Weekend were unusually peaceful. Andy was having his contractors cleaning up his yard, and I was busy tidying up things before my departure. Things then happened so quickly all of a sudden that the older ones among us had great trouble keeping up! These new characters are much younger than Kevin and I, not to mention Andy. I certainly had a hard time sorting out the events for this article (especially since a lot of drinking was involved)!

The ball actually started to roll long before, when we visited R. As mentioned, I met Simon's friend Sam (in Whitestone - we all live close by) for the first time there, and it proved pivotal, indeed catalytic. Sam mentioned that we have a common acquaintance, Philip (in Roslyn Heights). Indeed, said Philip many years ago asked me some questions about Spendor SP-100, and I actually met up with him several times then (even with Andy!) Apparently, Philip had more recently taken after Sam in acquiring the Tannoy GRF Memory. I was delighted as I thought Philip had called it quits (his children were very young then). Sam had to fly away on Sunday, and Philip and family were coming back from the Carribean Saturday night, so Sam and I arranged to meet on Saturday with the wild hope of hopping over to Philip later (it was not to be).

Saturday was a long day! Sam had to go to New Jersey in the morning to pick up a pair of JBL 4320. I knew it was going to be a long day, so in the morning I prepared rice, a large pot of Beef Shank (金钱腱) Stew, and Chinese Cabbage with Bean Pockets (油豆腐). Richard came in from Manhattan, picked me up and drove to Sam's place around 2 o'clock. The timing was perfect, not a minute too soon, as Sam's return home was delayed because his pick-up truck had developed problems during the trip. We met Sam's friend MJ (Michael, also from Roslyn Heights, friend and neighbor of Phil, who was with him on the NJ trip. Later, Kevin joined us.

First, we listened to the Tannoy GRF Memory. This is the later one with Wood front baffle. Sam mentioned later it had upgraded German paper cones. Sound was excellent. TT was VPI HW-19 with early Graham arm sporting a VdH cartridge. Forgot the step-up. Preamp was the Citation I (also tried the Lafayette) and Amp was a Dared PSE 300B monoblock. Digital duties were served by a modern Marantz CDP/Streamer.

A word on these Tannoy GRF Memory. There were many generations (confusing) and they are basically predecessors of the Canterbury HE (which itself spawned SE etc). The earliest ones were Cork faced and there were designations of HW, TW, TWW etc.  Sam's later version is bi-wired (just like the later Canterburys). Only the very early ones were Alnico. Sam's is Ferrite. For the Prestige Canterbury HE that I have (and subsequent iterations) Tannoy had reverted back to Alnico. The sound is much more balanced and dynamic than older Silvers and Reds. This blog wrote profusely on the modern Canterbury's, which I believe are the best! These GRFs are very impressive. Indeed, Sam's pair sounded just like my Canterburys, and count among the very few best Tannoys setups (in HK heard too many horrible Silver and Red setups) that I have heard. Do not confuse these with the earlier corner GRF, nor the later Prestige GRF (alnico but 12").

Of course, we could not resist and asked for the JBL 4320. As with old JBLs (and TADs), only spring clip terminals in the back. Sam, an experienced DIY person, made some cables and adaptors on the spot. Sound was of course much more neutral than the Tannoy. Even though they had not been used in a long time and were suboptimally placed in this room, both Richard and I nodded enthusiastically in approval. We just loved the realism. We switched to a Japanese 2A3 amp that sports full Tango transformers (including interstages) and old stock double plates. Sound was sweeter but lacking a little heft. Now, I'd love to hear a stacked pair (my experience with stacked 4312A was stunning)!

A word on the 4320. My first time hearing these and was I impressed! These have superior alnico drivers. Although it bears JBL's "43" professional designation, it has a sturdy wood enclosure. In terms of drivers, the "home use" equivalent (subject to variations over time) is the L200 (just as the L100 is the home use version of 4312). I think these have a lot of potential. My absolute favorite JBL loudspeaker is the formidable L300, but these are no slouch!

We even listened a little to the DIY RCA 829 Preamp and Harmon Kardon Citation II driving the legendary but notoriously difficult to drive ATC SCM10. Not bad at all!

Then, MJ had to go pick up Philip and family from the airport and Kevin returned home. Richard and Sam and I went to my home, had dinner and listened to my LR system of LS3/5A driven by Yamamoto preamp and Elekit 300B amp (here). Afterwards, they spent a little time listening in my dedicated room with my YL horns driven by Shindo Monbrison and Oliver Sayes 71A amp. I had only set it up in the morning and I believe it was very good. The 0.7 Watts of the 71A was amazingly high quality.

A lot of wine (offered by Sam, a Cab drinker) and a day well spent! Sam's place is a treasure trove that I intend to visit again and again! Thx so much! Thx Richard too for being the driver! Incidentally, Richard was very happy as it was not so easy for him to hear big horns, not to mention 2 pairs in one day, no less. I predict a horny future for him!

Preview: Just received this Video from Sam. Swapping in the McIntosh C22
resulted in a fuller sound for the JBL 4320. Wish I were there! 

ATC SCM10 flanked by Philips fullrange in cabinets made by Simon. DIY 829 preamp
atop Citation IV. Citation II. Background various Stromberg Carlsons and Dynaco.
Chartwell LS3/5A atop Philips

Better view of the Dared 300B monoblocks.
Below: Video of GRF

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on the 4320! I may have the opportunity to acquire one. Just wondering what your feeling is regarding amp matching, noting your comment regarding lack of heft with the 2a3. I currently have sun audio and elekit 300b amps, a yamamoto 45 on its way, and an elekit 8500 pre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 4320 is definitely a great loudspeaker! And if you have not had 15" woofers before you shall never be able to go back to smaller cones. Power is an issue. 300B likely shall do a reasonable job, 2A3 and 45 likely not suitable for large scaled music. BUT, the JBL itself should change the way you listen to things and worthwhile. report back one day if you get it!

      Delete