11 September, 2023

Altec 604E Infinity RS-1B ARC D90B 6F8 vs 6SN7

Click pics to enlarge. Bell 2122C atop the 604E. Note the contraption in front of the added tweeter, an imitation of the passive Xinshe 597. On the shelf Chinese Preamp with 6F8G, next to Conar SE EL84 amp (not used).

Letter from NYC (23-13): Labor Day Weekend+, Part IV (Tuesday), Escape from NY!

Written in Shenzhen

(Continued from Part III (Monday)) Now, I had not planned anything for this day, as I had to fly back to HK middle of the night. It was a busy day. As usual, I woke up early, and did laundry. Then I started to move the various gear back to their storage. Turned off some power banks. Closing up shop. Then the building superintendent came to inspect the balcony. And then the Telephone Rang...it was Kevin...

Kevin had some uncooked stuff left over from a BBQ party the previous day and wanted to invite me and Andy to listen to his recent endeavors (see below). I was hesitant, but how could I refuse? So I galvanized myself and did as much as I could have before Kevin picked me up around 12:00. We then picked up Andy, who had a big surprise. His friend had gone fishing and gave him a Fluke from his crop. This we took to Kevin's house. Dead but fresh Fish...

Altec 604E And so we listened to the latest iteration of Kevin's Altec 604E. I don't write about every one of our meetings - how could I? Suffice to say, over the 2 months in NYC, I came here a few times. I shall take this opportunity to explain it a little. The modern crossover is likely not bad. To balance the sound, Kevin had tried adding tweeters. The last round was with EV (the ones used in Klipsch) but he had settled on the ones in the pic (L-pad used). We don't even know what they are but they do help to raise the image height and impart a little more openness. More interestingly, sometimes Kevin adds a Diatone fullrange (mounted in the center of an LP). One time before, I listened to each, connected or not, and concluded it did make a difference for the better. This round, we listened to them being driven by Bell 2122C, but with a Chinese Preamp in front. This one employs 6SN7 and has regulator tubes. In a previous round, it sounded superior to its sibling without the regulator tubes. 6SN7 vs 6F8G Kevin had been running the preamp with the 6F8G (with adaptor) I gave him a long time ago. On this day, at his asking, I brought a pair of RCA 6SN7, and sure enough, it outperformed the 6F8G. The 6F8G has more oomph, but the 6SN7 is more subtle. Interesting, as many on the net professes the superiority of the ST 6F8G. Andy chipped in, and said from his own experience he prefers the 6SN7 too. This round of the 604E was the best I have heard, and really quite decent, but I still say, with A5/A7 around, why bother? They are all equally difficult (a way of saying: impossible) to get perfectly right, but the A5/A7 are for sure better endowed.

During all this time, Kevin was in and out. The dead fish took over and he prepared half of it for us in the upstairs kitchen. Perhaps you don't know this: he was a trained cook!!! Instead of steaming, he poached the fish and it was excellent, aided by some Chinese broccoli. Of course, Andy's wines helped!

Infinity RS-1B and Audio Research D-90B Kevin's Infinity had featured in the blog more times than I can remember (should you care to peruse). Previously, like Andy, he had used the VTL MB-450. He swapped in the ARC D-90B and it made a surprising improvement. There seemed to be enough power, and with the added benefit of a more refined sound. The D-90B (arcdb) is a somewhat unusual one from relatively earlier times. Instead of 6550, the B version sports 5881, at a slightly lower power. Driver tubes are different too, no 6CG7 and introducing 6922. Kevin's unit was bought from Leo and has good tubes in them. Russian 6L6WGC and nice Hungarian Tungsram 6922s. So it seems that the ribbon panel of the Infinity is not that hard to drive! Good news. It is interesting that the same ARC 90B sounded lean with the B and W M801 (Kevin preferred his CJ MV-75 there). And so, finally, the Infinity had come into its own this time around. We happily listened to Prokofiev's Cinderella Suite (OSR/Ansermet, London STS). Very good. The Infinity is perfect for Prokofiev, and it recalls listening to Romeo and Juliet (Cleveland/Maazel, London) upstairs at Andy's (it's been ages).
 
Kevin dropped me back in Flushing around 3:30. I returned some magazines to the library and ran some errands. Back home, I frantically mopped up and packed. Around 9:30 pm Kevin picked me up and drove me to the airport. Thus concluded this round of mad dash and my return to NYC. I had the feeling that I had escaped, far from the madding crowd.
 
Poached Fluke and Chinese Broccoli
Another occasion, authentic HK style food in a restaurant
Another time, cheese from NJ Amish Farm
Below Halal Food Take Out
A bit of the silver ARC D90B can be seem on bottom shelf
This Ultra-Analog Classe DAC is excellent. CJ MV75 below (meters added)
Wild assortment of Decca cartridges and accessories
TT Galore
Can someone give some info on this driver?

No comments:

Post a Comment