22 February, 2019

AkitikA GT-102 Power Amplifier, Audiomaster LS3/5A, Linn Kan, LM3886


Review: AkitikA GT-102 Power Amplifier, Part I
LS3/5A vs Linn Kan

A Tale of Two Amps It's funny how things are. After building and enjoying the Elekit TU-8152, somehow I was on a roll, and summoned enough resolve and energy to build the solid state AkitikA kit, which has been languishing on my "workbench" for several months.

Kudos First of all, Kudos to Stereophile, where I first read about AkitikA. Even though I don't have that much time on my hands, I am a sucker at heart for affordable kits (think: my cheaptubeaudio roots). Midway through Herb Reichert's Review, I have already decided to buy it. I hope Stereophile some day will get to review Elekit!

Second, Kudos to AkitikA, for offering such a good sounding product at such a low cost. Even more admirable is the fact that they did not raise the price even after the rave review, a rare thing in my experience (unlike Bob's Devices, for example). It has to be said too, that it makes some successful tube kit providers (like Bottlehead and Transcendent, to cite only two) seem overcharging (imho these probably got too successful for their own good, and I know their products; they are definitely too expensive when compared to, say, Elekit).

AkitikA The Official Website is excellent, organized to a T and instantly confidence inspiring. Founder Dan Joffe is a bona fide electronic designer as well as amateur musician (hence I believe his ears), who started it to update Dynaco products. Its niche was, and is, the restoration of solid state Dynaco equipment. The Updatemydynaco pages are fascinating. In fact, the amplifier modules are very similar to those in the GT-102. They almost make me want to get some of the ss Dynaco's on the cheap and do some restoration! It also seems Joffe is a respected figure in some DIY forums.


AkitikA GT-102 This is a stereo power amplifier, with a very successful predecessor, the GT-101. The Stereophile review and the official website are excellent and thorough, so I need to provide only brief comments, only those of interest to me.
  • LM3886 Op Amp What really got me interested is that it uses the LM3886 Op Amp, the same Op Amp used in the iconic 47 Labs Gaincard amplifier, which I still own and love, and which has spawned countless Gainclone amps (I completely agree with Reichert's succinct comment on this, which is that most of the clones, including successful commercial ones imho, just don't have that je ne sais quoi quality of the original). In passing, I should mention that I have not formally "reviewed" the 47 Labs Gaincard (4706), but I have commented on it often (should you have the time, use this link and this link for the bits and pieces I wrote; pardon the disorganization).
  • Design and Spec's As a tube man, I am certainly lost. You can get all the info you need from the links. The AkitikA website has the downloadable massive manual, which goes into great details on the design for all to see. It is useful to know, unlike the ultra-minimalist Gaincard, it has a lot of power regulation and protection, and power-on relays. I note from the website that not a few users use them with difficult panel and ESL loudspeakers without problem, despite Stereophile's measurements which show the amp working best into higher impedances, which AkitikA agrees with. Official data shows it to be 50 wpc into 8 ohms, almost doubling into 4 ohms, but Stereophile's data is contradictory.
  • Component Quality From the pic, you can see that they are of very good quality.
  • Price $314 for the kit ($488 for assembled) + $26 shipping. For the complexity on offer, I am impressed. This man is not only a designer, he must be a good businessman who can deliver the goods at this price. On the other hand, perhaps he is not a good businessman as one wonders how can he make a profit. More, there is a 30 day money back guarantee, which I doubt anyone will use.
Building the Kit I did it in several sessions. I did not keep time, but I think it was more than eight hours, part of it due to some mistakes that I made.
  • Instructions The manual is massive and, except for a few places, very clear. I do think even a novice will be able to do it. Personally, I like the Japanese manual style (very detailed diagrams and few words) even better, but then this solid state amp has a lot more parts than most tube kits, so I understand.
  • The Printed Circuit Boards They are of good quality, but on the small side. Checking all the parts and stuffing the boards took quite a bit of time. No SET amp, this!
  • Soldering I must emphasize that one must follow the instructions and use a small solder tip. In many places, traces are tightly spaced and there may only be room barely larger than the solder tip to solder on. I'd surmise some novices will find this a little challenging.
  • Wiring Being a Tube Kit Builder actually hampered me a little here. Ground This amp uses a Star Ground that is not so common with tube stuff and that actually demands more wiring. It took getting used to that the ground wire of the speaker post is much shorter than the hot wire. Harness One has to build a harness with different wires and lugs, a little tricky, but all was well explained. But I made a mistake here (see below). Here for connection to the loudspeaker post I substituted my trusted Belden 9497 for the stock cableSignal Cable This is where I made my biggest mistakes. I followed the instruction on Page 27 that tells you how to dress the cable but did not refer to the full instructions on Page 51. Big mistake. Here I substituted the Gotham GAC-2, which I had used successfully for my PAS 3 project, for the stock one. On the amplifier module, after soldering the +/hot wire to IN, the instruction on Page 27 is to solder the drain wire to IN GND, which I did with the bulkier shield of the GAC-2. Then I wondered why there is no mention of the -/ground wire (which I thought should go into the extra and vacant IN GND). Later, when the RCA Connector Ground Lugs were installed, there was no mention of the drain wire/shield. Non-plused, I went over everything and still scratched my head. Finally I read the instructions on Page 51. On my! Basically it tells you to remove the -/ground wire from the stock shielded cable, and use the shield/drain wire as -/ground! This is most unusual, and I have never encountered this before. I was not about to undo the harnesses, so I soldered the GAC-2 shield onto the RCA Connector Ground Lug, which already had the -/ground wire attached. For the amp module end, I unsoldered the GAC-2 drain/shield, cut it, and soldered on the -/ground. This is as I would make an interconnect, shield attached where signal starts and not attached where signal ends. I am not sure what changes this makes to the sound. I wonder why AkitikA prefers to use the drain as -/ground wire - I'd guess the sound of coaxial wire is preferred. In that case, for me Gotham DGS-1, a coaxial cable, would work even better. I'd suggest adding a line on Pg 27 on the special nature of the cable. Lesson: follow every instruction!
  • Operation Mine worked flawlessly from the word go. The relays kick in after a few seconds and one is ready to go. Smooth. And, it is dead quiet.
Bowmboi by Rokia TraoreListening
  • In System III I To test out the amp with as little outside influence as possible, I first employed my System III's front end, comprising the Sparkler S303 CDP and Schiit Saga used as passive preamp. Not to mince words, I was impressed right from the startWarm Up does not seem to be necessary. Sound is very good from the start.
  • Linn Kan I grabbed these for my first session, as they were easiest to get to. These are first generation (I) and employ the same KEF woofers as the fabled LS3/5A. They were placed way in-room, on my Sonus faber stands (kinda near-field listening). The Linn Kan usually prefers close to wall placement as its treble is sharper and bass leaner (than the LS3/5A), and in this position it can sound lean even with tube amps (like my Elekit TU-8300 300B amp). Not the case here. With the AkitikA, the bass is rich, yet tactile, making this the best sound I have had from the Kan I. The Saga is very transparent, and can sound sharp, yet here the combination work superbly well together. The sound is detailed, with notable rhythmic elan. Vocals, male or female, were perfectly rendered, as exemplified by the vitality on offer in Hugh Masekela's Hope (CD, Triloka, OOP); and by the subtle and sinuous delivery of Rokia Traore in Bowmboi (CD, Nonesuch/tama, also OOP).
    You Won't Forget Me
  • Audiomaster LS3/5A (15 ohm) Delighted, I was thus motivated to retrieve my LS3/5A. From the Stereophile review, I knew it'd work a treat and it sure did. The sound was even better than the Linn Kan. Being a fuller sound benefitted the vocals of Traore and Masekela even more. Here I'd say Herb Reichert's findings are right on the money (even if the Falcon LS3/5A he uses are likely sharper sounding than my vintage pair). The sound is so good that I am sure you could do worse by using an inferior tube amp. The AkitikA is warm and inviting, yet its fast transient speed actually complements the LS3/5A, which is usually a little slow sounding with tube amps.
    Bach
  • In System II Further encouraged, I connected it to my System II front end, comprising Sony XA-5400ES SACD/CDP, Technics SP-1200 Mk II/Shelter 201, Thorens TD-125/SME3009i/Denon DL-304, Aurorasound Vida phonoamp and Shindo Monbrisson preamp. The sound gained from System III, richer and with an even wider and deeper soundstage. With a tube preamp, vocals are naturally even better. Shirley Horn's priceless You won't forget me (CD, Verve) was so utterly compelling that I just had to listen from start to finish (which never occurred before). Not only were the fine modulations of Horn's voice as well rendered as I have ever heard, the piano (herself) and the solos of the guests (a starry cast, including Miles) had startling definition and realism, as did the ambience and audience noise (little). On Richard Galliano's Bach album (CD, DG), I too could not help just sampling, and had to listen to the entire Violin Concerto. For either album, I was not at all sure I'd exchange the amp for even the best tube amps.
Comments
  • Sonic Assessments Overall, there is little question that the AkitikA is an overachieving amp. The most gratifying thing is, no matter what I played, I was gripped and could not stop listening. I am likely to keep it and the LS3/5A for a quick listening system, such is the synergy between them. The LS3/5A works well with UK classics integrated amps like the Naim Nait, but here it is taken to a wholly new level. Rhythm and Pace The AkitikA even trumps the UK amps in PRaT that the flat-earthers so covet. Solid State? Although the AkititkA is just a little warm sounding but, lest you misunderstood from the listening notes above, it is not tube-like. Although vocals and instrumental timbers are alluring, the treble, though not lean, is not quite as harmonically fleshed out as a tube amp. Tube die-hards may demure, but the AkitikA compensates by its enticing performance in other areas. My Mods Here I must say that my substitution of the signal cable and the loudspeaker cable must have an effect on the sound. For people who don't know, the Belden 9497 cable is a very even performer that I have written a lot on; it almost never sounds bad with any loudspeaker, that I am confident about. The Gotham GAC-2 is a very reasonably priced but superior shielded two-conductor cable, which I used for my PAS 3 project (you can read about its effect here). Both cables are likely more transparent than stock offerings. Note that while I'd say the AkitikA is a little warm sounding, I'd not use the word "dark" at all, and my mods may have contributed a little in this area. YMMV. Gainclone? This is not your ordinary "Gainclone", as it is certainly a much more complicated amp. Does it bear any resemblance to the 47 Labs Gaincard? I don't have the latter with me but I know its sound pretty well. I'd say: 1) with both one just keeps on listening to the music; 2) both have rhythmic finesse, but I think the AkitikA is even more accomplished; 3) the 47 Labs Gaincard is a little warmer; 4) obviously, the AkitikA is more powerful.
  • More Coming This is Part I because I intend to further explore this amp with my other loudspeakers, in particular the electrostatic Martin Logan Source. I also may break my own rules and try it out with my 104 db horns (think a Jimmi Hendrix track), which has been the exclusive provenance of my tube amps! I may also take it to my friends and see their reaction. Lots of thoughts, too little time, but this is a fun amp for sure.
You can rest assured there is more to come.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Doctor, Next time you visit Hong Kong, please see if you can hear the Clones 55pm mono blocks. Not as inexpensive, but I believe it uses the same chip, and sounds a treat! Made in Hong Kong too. Vivek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello friend, will be glad to, but probably not in a year or two.

      Delete
  2. Hello Doctor, I wonder whether this amplifier is comparable in sound quality with similar priced nad 316 v2? Thinking to purchase one of these amps myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comparable? No the GT-102 is superior! Richer sound and more power. But it has no preamp section.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!
      Tautvilas

      Delete
  3. Nice review, I built the GT-101 (predecessor but similar) and it was a great experience. It was my first kit. Ive used it for several years and thoroughly enjoyed the build. I live a couple of hours from Dan and went to pick up my kit from him. He even gave me a soldering lesson and a circuit board to practice on. Ive build several kits since.

    ReplyDelete