27 October, 2019

Denon DL-301 Mk II VAS Repair

Denon DL-301MK2 Moving Coil Phono CartridgeReview: Denon DL-301 Mk II (VAS Repair), Part II

Denon DL-301 Mk II Review, Part I

Time flies, I cannot believe it has been 7 years since I wrote Part I. What readers don't know is that right after I wrote that article, an accident ripped the cantilever out! I got it at a quite inexpensive price (I lament that Comet Supply doesn't seem to supply Denon's anymore), so was not prepared to re-tip it. But now, with VAS service available, I grabbed the opportunity. It seemed to need no running in and the Denon impressed from the word go!

What a Joy! Its return coincided with my reconfiguration of System 3 (last article; below). As the result is so wonderful, I shall be quite brief with this review. Not much qualification is needed. No if's, and's or but's.
    Sonata For Arpeggione And Piano / Sonata For Cello And Piano (Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo) album cover
  • On my Audio-Technica AT-PL120 in Station 3 (see sidebar), playing into all 3 phonoamps, Mofi Studiophono, Micromega MyGroov and 47 Labs Shigaraki 4718 the sound was excellent. Finally I settled on the 47 Labs for its most detailed sound, but not before changing the interconnect to DIY 47 Labs. Downstream are the Schiit Saga used as buffer, Langevin 102 preamp, Akitika GT 102 amp and Audiomaster LS 3/5A.  The sound is neutral through the audio band, full of air and vitality, and no discernible MC peak. Perhaps it is slightly less a drama queen than its more famous cousin, the DL-103, but in many systems this will be smoother. I listened to every genre of music, and I can detect no serious weakness. One illustration suffices. Rostropovich/Britten's never surpassed performance of Schubert's Appregione Sonata (London, LP) was incisive, the best I have heard (cello can be a little bloating in many systems). What I wrote in Part I stands.
  • On my Technics SL-1200 Mk II in System 2 (see sidebar), it played into the AQVOX 2CI Mk II (also undergoing further evaluation, more in an article later), Shindo Monbrisson, Elekit TU-8150 and my YL horns with aplomb. In the same system is the Thorens TD-309 fitted with the Koetsu Black, and the Denon is not far behind, just lacking a little the special magic of the former. Sweet!
  • Comparison with a stock DL-301 Mk II Serendipity! My friend RC has this cartridge, so when I visited him I asked him to play it in his system (here). I heard more or less the same things as in my own systems. This proves that the VAS re-tip is an excellent job.

No comments:

Post a Comment