13 November, 2019

Elekit TU-8800 Thomas Schick 12" Thorens TD-124 Ensemble Di-Chrono


Click pics to enlarge. Thorens TD-124 with an extra large armboard. The Thomas Schick Arm is shown with the Daiwok Midas Denon DL-103. Elekit TU-8800 in the background.

NY Diary (19-16): Old Friends Rehabilitated, and a New Kit on the Block
Elekit TU-8800, Part I
Thorens TD-124 with Thomas Schick 12", Part I
Ensemble Di-chrono Transport/Hi-Dac and Theta Data

Note (4/18/20): Elekit, Part II has been published. This is the REAL in-depth review.Those interested in the Elekit must read.

As my last article (just roll down) showed, our friend Kevin made a new armboard for a 12" arm for my Thorens TD-124. Just a few days ago, he installed my Thomas Schick 12" arm on it and delivered  it to me. Earlier, in anticipation, I started my...

Rehabilitation of System I, Part I
This system right in front of me is somehow the one I lately least use. As a matter of fact, because of various projects, since I returned more than a year ago, I haven't fired it up - until now! This system is based on the overbuilt Manley 300B preamp (here). Since I have recently worked on System III, I continued using my Audiomaster 15 ohm LS3/5A, augmented by subwoofer of course (here).

First up was actually the Digital System. My Ensemble Di-Chrono Hi-Dac (details here) had long returned from a very minor repair, and I used this opportunity to install it. I hooked it up to my trusted dinosaur Theta Data transport, and, still using the Akititka GT-102 amp, the sound was superb! I used the Belden 1694A, terminated in RCA. Ensemble advocates BNC (though it has an RCA in), but the Theta has no BNC output. I used an adaptor at the Ensemble end and I do think the sound was somehow slightly better than plugging it into the RCA input. Later I shall hook up the Ensemble Dirondo Transport but I first would have to DIY a Gotham BNC digital cable.

Compared to the System III, the sound was not surprisingly more detailed and powerful. Not only that, everything is more solid and bigger. This I think is partly due to a more powerful DAC (great as it is, the Micromega MyDac is a small device, which usually is less dynamic than much larger components) as well as the quality of the tube preamp.

Click the image to open in full size.Elekit TU-8800, Part I
This is almost a fluke. The newest offering by Elekit (great details and pics here), this kit got to me because my friend RC went to the Capitol Audio Festival and brought it back from VK Music. It is a SE Pentode/Tetrode amp that is switchable between Triode and UL modes; and has 3 levels of bias that enable use with many tubes, from lowly but lovely 6V6 to KT88 and power-monger KT150! Except for 2 output caps, this one is bone stock.

With KT88 For the small tubes, this specimen came with Siemens 12AT7, which are surely an upgrade from stock tubes. Employing the "High" bias setting, sound with current production Gold Lion KT88 is surprisingly good. While the Triode Mode is warmer, I preferred the greater openness and control of Ultralinear Mode. Compared to using the Akitika amp, the soundstage is larger and there is more air. In terms of warmth though, the Akitika is very close! What is even more deserving of praise is that the Elekit could control the LS3/5A really well, sounding a just a little reined in only at the loudest of orchestral peaks (where a little clipping can sometimes be heard).

Down the Road, I can see myself rolling some output tubes. I am particularly interested in using the 6V6. Given the much larger output transformers (see pic below) I am sure it shall sound more powerful than the TU-8150 (here). I shall also compare it with my much earlier TU-8300 (here), which can use both 300B and common Pentodes/Tetrodes (but only has 1 bias setting, so definitely no 6V6). But so far this amp looks like a serious winner.


Rehabilitated Thorens TD-124 with Thomas Schick 12" Arm, Part I
You have read about the first phase of the rehabilitation of my battered TD-124 (here); later it was mated to a make-do (pitiable, said Andy) SME "3012" (a great story really, here). Recently, Andy got Kevin to make some armboards and I jumped on the bandwagon. Finally I have a dedicated 12" armboard that I can use with the plinth! I like the wood but someday I'd like to repaint the plinth (I am thinking black). I cannot thank Kevin enough; ever the perfectionist, he actually lubricated and cleaned my Thorens and it works a charm now. Now, I am confident I can get the best out of the turntable! For phonoamp, I just grabbed my Parasound JC3 (here), which I also haven't used in quite a while!

With "Midas" Denon DL-103 Much like the Zu body, the "Midas" is an aluminum headshell created by our friend daiwok (active in Lencoheaven) for the Denon DL-103 (here). It is the first one I tried, with the same heavy Ortofon headshell, as this was what worked in HK, when I had the Thomas Schick on my Garrard 301 (here).

Sound is lovely! My impressions of the Thomas Schick is pretty much what I wrote when I had it on the Garrard (link above). With the Midas Denon DL-103, sound is involving and recognizable to any 103 user. There is no dreaded "slowness" which I heard at many a vintage afficionado's SME 3012/SPU setup. Immediately noticeable was the darker background compared to most of my other 9" armed turntable (also see my spiel on my Garrard link). The other interesting thing is that, given the very poor rack isolation at my carpeted room, this turntable is surprisingly pretty immune to interference; knocking on the rack did not produce the usual instability, not to mention skipping. The best isolated turntable in my place, better than the suspended ones! Perhaps kevin did something, as this did not have the original rubber grommets. You shall hear more about this turntable with other cartridges and systems (preview - it works great with a < 0.5 wpc OTL amp and horns).

Pics Loose Ends
Korean SGD Tofu House lunch


Lamb at Andy's

No comments:

Post a Comment