17 December, 2019

On Headphone Listening LET US WELCOME A NEW WRITER!

Editor's Note: I am more than delighted to introduce you to another writer, mrgoodsound. It all started with comments on two of my posts. I sensed a kindred spirit and I asked him to email me. We talked a little and I was really surprised and excited when I found out he is 24 year old. That someone so young and passionate about music is already deep into the hobby bodes well for audio's future. I encouraged him to start his own blog but for a start he is writing here. I expect it to be a regular column. Not as often as I'd post because he has got a pretty demanding job. He basically has carte blanche, can write about anything he wants and is free to express opinions that may differ from mine. This is a first for this blog, and I am really happy about it! Let us welcome and encourage him!


From mrgoodsound: Introduction


Hi all,

Our host doctorjohn has invited me to contribute some articles for his blog. I am a 24 year old audiophile from Toronto, Canada who has been into the hobby for at least 5 years. I got into audio via headphone listening, and I quickly found I could appreciate the differences between equipment that others claimed they couldn't, or that shouldn't exist based on an incomplete 'objective' measurement. I got hooked, and I can easily state now that audio is my biggest passion in life. I 'graduated' in the past 2 years to two-channel audio and the wonderful world of possibilities that has come with it.

I can't say I come from a musical background but I have always appreciated music, now more so than earlier stages of my youth. My tastes range from rock/alternative/indie to jazz and classical. Since 'discovering' jazz about 1 year ago, it now encapsulates 80-85% of my listening. I just love hard bop and bebop. Listening to artists like Mingus and Coltrane now blows my mind like The Smiths or Oasis did when I was 17.

My current tastes in audio line up more or less with what content is already being published on this blog. I have a definite preference for valve equipment, analog sources, and highly efficient loudspeakers (preferably featuring horns). I may do a post later about the components of my system in detail, but here is a summary:

Digital sources: Sony CDP-X779ES, Philips CD-303, Mission PCM4000
Analog sources: Sony PS-X800, Lenco L70, Lenco L75, Thorens TD-124 mk I, Rek-o-kut B-12H
Pre-amplifiers: 'The Truth' line stage, 4P1L DHT line stage built by Radu Tarta
Power amplifiers: Sansui AU-717, 6550 amplifier built by Lance Cochrane, Eico HF-81
Speakers: JBL Studio 590

Probably like you, I have been reading this blog for over a year and especially appreciate the information about vintage equipment and concepts not frequently discussed in the 'mainstream' audio press.

Lastly, John asked me to pick a good name to post under. I wanted to keep it simple, so I chose mrgoodsound, because I love good sound.

I hope to post every few weeks and offer some sort of fresh perspective for readers. Please feel free to comment any feedback you may have.

On Headphone Listening


For my first articles, I decided to focus on a topic I could offer some perspective on, and that John has not covered in depth in his own writing. I am talking about headphone listening, or 'personal audio' as some in the industry are now referring to it as. I don't intend to make a case for one or the other, rather just share observations based on personal experience.

Why headphones? I am sure everyone has read some variation of a 'headphone versus speaker listening' thread on their favorite audio forum. These discussions are usually rather polar. One side admits that due to time, space, noise or financial constraints a two-channel system is not ideal and they get their music fix from a headphone system. Another party will claim that headphones 'just don't do it' for them and they don't understand why anyone would bother investing in a high-end headphone rig.

What gives? I will talk about the stereo enthusiast who has never gotten goosebumps from a headphone system next time. First, the individual who resorts to headphones out of necessity. There are a variety of socioeconomic and personal factors involved, but I will stick to those I have experience with.

From a financial point of view, headphone listening offers a low barrier to entry. Anyone can make a $20-100 investment into a pair of headphones and plug them into their smartphone and begin enjoying music. Even the most budget-conscious speaker system, short of purchasing total junk, will come out to a bit more than that. This factor mostly affects youth without the means to spend, but serves as an important distinction of how someone will get into audio one way instead of another. I see at high-end shows today efforts made to put together new systems for $500-1500. Valiant efforts, but even these amounts can be considered more than 'serious' investments for the average individual who is not yet 'committed' to audio, and just wants to better their listening experience.

As a slight detour, this happens to be how I started. My first 'serious' investment was a pair of Sennheiser HD598 headphones. I chose these because as an uneducated consumer I equated the Sennheiser brand with quality and this particular model had a history of good reviews. At the time I plugged them directly into my computer or phone and was content with the sound, but not as impressed as I would have hoped for the $200 expenditure. I haven't had these headphones for some time now, but I imagine in the present I would find this combination to sound totally unappealing.

I am sure everyone reading this now has their own memory of being Alice and chasing the white rabbit across the field and down the hole. Being tech-minded, I began reading enthusiast forums to see if I was missing anything. Here I was introduced to the idea of external amplifiers to make my existing headphones sound better, and external D/A converters to make the external amplifiers sound better. A lot of time and money was traded here, making purchases on the advice of the blind leading the blind, and only for lessons learnt from mistakes and not for good sound. I would consider a blood pact with the devil to recoup some of these funds and spend it instead on audio ventures I am only getting into now nearly 5 years later, with a deeper understanding of the sound I am chasing. Alas, life doesn't work this way.

In terms of space, I think everyone can understand the effects of urbanization and the move to apartment/condo living over recent decades. However, even those fortunate to own homes are not so fortunate. Modern floor plans and familial living arrangements leave little room suitable for a a high-end stereo system, and compromises have to be made. Most local audiophiles I have visited here in Toronto make do with a small section of a basement or the corner of a living room. Being at an age where I am beginning to save and look towards purchasing my first home, I have been seriously disappointed with how few local listings feature any sort of space a 'serious' audiophile would consider 'ideal' for two channel stereophonic sound. A headphone system only requires a little bit of space on a desk at most.

This ties right into noise, where the stereo may only be enjoyed at its fullest in brief windows where family members, roommates or neighbors are not disturbed. As real estate prices rise uncontrollably in cities such as Toronto, Vancouver and Hong Kong; families resort to generational living (grandparents, parents, children all under one roof) or renting apartments with neighbors to live within economic means. These last two points are largely why 'personal audio' as an industry has enjoyed a serious boom in the past decade in Asia. Headphones may be enjoyed without disturbing others, and some models allow you to shut out others from disturbing you.

The final factor is time. Let's consider the individual who has the finances and space for a serious two-channel system, or is dedicated to making one work, and does not need to worry about noise considerations. Many of my older, local audiophile friends meet these criteria. What most of them also have in common is that they are working professionals and/or family men, and find maybe 2-3 hours a week where they can sit down and enjoy music from their systems uninterrupted. This is a sad reality of life, and does not really score a point for either camp, other than to say headphone systems may be taken 'on-the-go' as portable solutions.

I think it is interesting to explore these factors and how they contribute to how an individual may get bitten by the audio 'bug' as well as the individual perception of how to go about getting better sound while still making decisions that work within the constraints of real life. I am not sure how much has been written about this topic to date as I haven't really looked into it.

Next time, I will write about how the listening experience differs with headphones from an audiophile perspective, and add some practical gear advice for choosing the right pair of headphones.

Posted by mrgoodsound

10 comments:

  1. Boy, you turn out to be even more of an old soul that I thought! :-) Great! Your CDPs and Turntables are excellent!

    However, since you're writing about headphone listening this time, I don't see what headphone setup you are using, or perhaps you are saving that for a future article? If so, I look forward to it.

    I don't usually like to read reviews of audio stuff solely based on headphone/desktop system, but you are, as you said, on both sides, so your opinions I value. I'd not mind at all if you write a lot more about your headphone/desktop journey!

    Keep up the good work! Holidays are here, my Greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I'd like to hear about your headphone/headphone amps experience, particularly since you now have serious experience with traditional 2-channel hifi. Since you are also tech-oriented, I think I'd like to hear more from you regarding the computer interface - do we have to go to tech-extremes to make it sound good?

      Delete
    2. Hey John, happy holidays to you too.

      Thanks for your kind words. I'm currently putting together a few pieces for my 'ideal' headphone system that I think I am finally honing in on after many lessons learned. For sure in the follow-ups to this article I will talk about my setup and experience with various amps/phones.

      The computer interface, very tricky. Volumes can be written about all sorts of different aspects from the player software to the optimization of the system to the network. The idea of streaming music and the concept of the network as a point of audiophile focus are so new and I generally look with disdain on how the 'high-end industry' is capitalizing on it. Many commercial and serial products are being released every month which are very little more than dressed up mass market computer parts, at obscene prices. It is disappointing and evokes more feelings of negative energy than I am willing to afford thinking about it.

      I think extremes are required to make computer audio sound 'good', i.e. approaching anywhere near the melody of a Philips transport if we can use such a thing as a baseline, but not the types of extremes you see people following typically in the computer audiophile circles. I would be happy to write about this later once everything comes together in the new year, as I use a computer as a source in the headphone system where playing around with physical media is cumbersome.

      Delete
    3. I am glad I am not the only one preferring a good CD setup, vintage or not, to computer. I completely agree most of these "hi-end" digital products are really rip offs.

      I have heard though reasonable setups using simple Windows computer, software (forgot whether it was Audirvana or JRivers). The fellow said to me the setting, e.g., the size of the buffer, is important, takes time to adjust, and makes a difference. Perhaps in due time you can tell us simple tricks to make things better. Not too complicated though! :-)

      I personally have 3T of AIFF files on two computers, but I almost never play them. On this Macbook Pro I have nearly 1T. It is just utilitarian for me, as I almost never listen to them. I did recently setup for the Micromega MyDac. Using iTunes by itself only. I actually enjoyed it when this is supposed not to be optimal at all. I think it all depends on whether we are wearing out critical hats.

      Delete
    4. I have had more than 100 dacs, and all sold again incl w4s, audio note, altmann etc. the only one that I have always kept is the micromega mydac, so many qualities and no stress that the dac is too expensive haha, I play with an allo digione streamer with this dac.i play with mood v3.8.4 or volumio, have a nice and happy new year doctorjohn ;)

      Delete
    5. Indeed that is a great little dac! Peace! :-)

      Delete
  2. Immediately a fan and looking forward to more articles mrgoodsound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - great to see other people with an interest in headphones and vintage gear here. Looking forward to more installments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually he has already published Part II, please go read it!

      Delete