02 March, 2020

Home Visit: Custom Klipsch K402 Peavey FH-1 Horn System Klipsch La Scala Triode Labs 2A3 Amplifiers

Tom's reference system with K402 horns atop Peavy FH-1 Bass Bins!


Home Visit: Custom Klipsch/Peavey Horn System Klipsch La Scala Triode Labs 2A3 Amplifier


By mrgoodsound 

One of the unique mainstays of this blog are the articles featuring the systems of doctorjohn's audiophile friends and acquaintances. This is something fantastic for the reader, as it allows them to read the author's opinions and perspective on equipment outside of their ownership. One can even argue that such assessments are more objective, and therefore more valuable, if such readings are to be used as purchase guidance. The more I think about it, the more strange it is that documentation of such visits are so rarely seen on other audio blogs, forums and sites. I would know, I spend 70% of my free time reading them.

I strongly believe that visiting other hobbyists and listening to their systems, and thereby digesting their personal approach to audio, is one of the most vital and important things ANY audiophile can do. In the digital age, it is very easy to get caught up entirely with the writings of usergroups and forums and base your entire perspective or outlook on any one subject on the biases of others. This can be said for any topic, but when so many people are basing purchase decisions of upwards of thousands of dollars on the opinions and advice of strangers on the internet, it becomes concerning! I would say about 90% of what is written on audio forums is complete bullshit and noise. I will up this to 95% concerning vintage audio equipment, as it is often completely unclear if said component was even in proper working order when auditioned and written about, even if the author claims the unit was 'restored'. Just search for a topic such as 'Garrard vs Thorens vs Lenco' to read definitive opinions from people who have listened to these tables with dried up bearings and worn out idler wheels.

I digress. I would consider myself an introvert but will never pass up an opportunity to hear someone else's system in person. Not only do such human interactions and connections with fellow hobbyists ('kindred souls' as John likes to say) keep us alive and mentally well, but they can often open new doors we didn't even know existed, or accelerate the audiophile's journey by leaps and bounds. I have been fortunate enough to make friends with several local audio enthusiasts who have helped me in various ways.

Klipsch La Scala's - A Chance Encounter


The subject of today's home visit was the La Scala. In my quest for more efficient speakers, I became interested in the La Scala's as a turnkey fully horn-loaded system with excellent efficiency. Doctorjohn's previous experiences with the La Scala here and here were extremely encouraging and I started to hunt for a pair locally. I randomly decided to check the Klipsch Community forum, where I found a member named Tom who was local to me and owned a pair. I quickly messaged him to explain my situation and ask if he would be willing to let me listen. To my surprise, he was not only welcoming to the idea, but within walking distance of my house!

Equipment:

DAC: Musical Paradise MP-D2
Preamp: Wyred4Sound STP-SE
Amps: Triode Labs 2A3 Integrated, Classe CA-200 (bi-amping)
Loudspeakers: Klipsch La Scala; also DIY Klipsch K402/Peavey FH1 horn system

Tom's pair were 1982 production with ceramic drivers and more than a bit beat up cosmetically, but he got them for a song and will be re-finishing them by himself eventually. I did not get a picture of the La Scala as we moved them from his second room (no small task) to in front of the big horn system pictured above for a listening session. From the very first few notes I knew these speakers were very competent, and I became convinced of my quest to obtain my own pair. Though Tom's system is set up for bi-amping, I specifically asked to hear them driven from his 2A3 amplifier, full-range. His listening space was well-treated with furniture and strategically placed panels, but not over-damped. The sound was satisfying, with all the hallmarks of a good horn system, without any trace of shout or squawk. Through Tom's digital front-end I played piano, vocals, Russian stage music, Led Zeppelin and more at volumes both reasonably loud and soft. I was left wanting for very little, though I kept returning to Glenn Gould piano works to hear them with the immediacy and fullness of the La Scala. I have to get a pair!

DIY two-way system with Klipsch K402 horn and Peavey FH-1 bass bins


As is usually the case with such meetings, more time was spent chatting than actually listening. Although the purpose of my visit was to sample the La Scala, I asked Tom if he would hook up his main rig for me to try. Tom's system is at what I would call the 'developed' stage. He has a very clear idea of his own preference and has assembled something really formidable to match it. Component changes are made infrequently and in isolation. Congratulations are in order for him, this is where everyone would like to be some day!

Tom's two-way horn system is using the imposing Klipsch K402 horns. I am no Klipsch expert but I don't think these are commonly sold to the mass market and are for live sound applications. I am not clear on the compression driver used, it may have been the Klipsch K69A. The bass bins are the professional Peavey FH-1 which are compact folded horns very similar to the bottom half of a La Scala. In the photo, a hat is on top of the bass bins using newer Tractrix horns from Klipsch although it is not connected. The K402s are propped on top of this hat with a metal support. The system is joined with an active pro audio crossover. I asked Tom how he approached the daunting task of configuring an active crossover, and he explained that he had a lot of help from Klipsch Community members and a measurement microphone. The crossover allows for bi-amping of the K402 horn and FH1 bass bins. A separate Crown class D amplifier is used to power an impressive tapped horn subwoofer (not pictured) that Tom constructed himself.

With the subwoofer engaged (though it was not necessary for my taste), this is a truly impressive and full-range, fully horn-loaded system. Compared to the La Scalas playing on their own, the sound gained greatly in terms of scale and openness. Aural images became lifelike in size. The amount of 'breath' the music was afforded without compression or strain was previously not experienced for me. The low frequencies had the articulation and pitch of an open box but with the attack and presence that only a horn could provide. With the subwoofer engaged, the depth was seemingly limitless and provided a foundation to the entire sound.

If I could nitpick any one thing, it's that the image height was a little too tall, though Tom & I agreed this would be rectified if the K402s were placed directly on top of the bass bins. Though the system was 'only' digital, I cannot fault that as with the 'complications' of multi-amping, additional boxes for a phono source could quickly prove a headache. Beyond that, even modest digital sources like budget CD players can still truly impress with a carefully tuned, full-range loudspeaker system like this.

I thank Tom for his hospitality and the opportunity to experience his awesome system. Cheers!

Triode Labs


I will briefly mention Triode Labs here as I frequently come across their amplifiers in the homes of local audio aficionados and on the local second-hand market. Triode Labs is a Canadian manufacturer of tube amplifiers with a wide line up of single-ended and push-pull amps. I will be blunt, I do not think their amps are the greatest value when purchased new. Their basic models feature Hammond transformers which are nothing to write home about, and the more expensive models have Japanese Hashimoto transformers (Hi-B core silicon steel) which are better but the prices start to run away pretty quickly from the actual value.

An older Triode Labs 2A3 amplifier using James OPTs

However, there was a period of time where Triode Labs was using really superb James transformers from Taiwan, as is the case with Tom's model. James is now unfortunately defunct and their products no longer available, but these models still pop up on the second-hand market for reasonable prices. I have heard 2A3-based Triode Labs amps using James transformers on three occasions now, they always manage to sound decent. Their amplifiers are always well assembled and generally sport professional automotive paint finishes on the chassis. I just think there is better bang for buck to be had from independent builders, but would not discourage anyone from trying these amps out.



7 comments:

  1. On my! I wish I were around! Perhaps you can find me a few Klipsch enthusiast in NYC!

    I know nothing about the Klipsch professional horn stuff. There are quite a few people using relatively latter-day JBL professional stuff and they can be quite good (my friend Simon knows JBL). This is indeed something new. I am sure you will visit Tom many times and get even more detail on the crossover points etc. I'd love to know.

    Another question is, Tom could have used the bottom half of the La Scala as bass horn, but he obviously eschewed it in favor of the Peavy? As I don't see the La Scala, perhaps they are being used somewhere else (outside the pic) in another system? In any case, has he compared the La Scala bass section with the Peavy?

    Obviously, it seems no one feels a super-tweeter is necessary. Good.

    Regarding electronic crossover, yes, it is indeed a perilous journey. I know quite a few people who took that route. Results vary a lot, usually not too musical, often disjointed, but occasionally quite impressive. The more knobs there are, the more the temptation to tweak, to "improve".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the La Scala were a recent acquisition, and the Peavey simply came first. Tom has a second room dedicated to home theater with Heresy's and the La Scala were there, although we moved them in front of the big horns for listening. They would've sounded bigger if they were tucked in the corners as well, but still no match for the K402 horn. I will update the article to clarify that point.

    Actually one of the things I asked Tom before I left was whether he had considered experimenting with super-tweeters. I refer strictly to piezo devices which operate only above 20kHz, as I have heard these have fantastic effect even with ultra-modern beryillium diaphragm compression drivers that can reach 22kHz by themselves. Fostex tweeters which crossover at 7-10kHz do not classify as 'super' for me, they are just tweeters. Not necessary, of course not, but still interesting to try. http://www.taket.jp/batpure/batpure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. James transformers had been made in Taiwan. Are they still in production somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought they were made in Taiwan. Hey Joe, I forgot if you are in Toronto or Vancouver.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely correct, my mistake. I will edit that in

      Delete
    3. Hi DJ, I'm in Toronto.

      Delete
    4. Oh, Joe, would you like to hook up with mrgoodsound? If so, send me an email. doctorjohn@myself.com

      Also, given your considerable hifi experience, would you like to write a guest article? just talking about your experience? I can do some editing if necessary. Think about it. :-)

      Delete