08 April, 2020

How I learned to stop worrying and enjoy Jazz

The natural progression of musical taste

By mrgoodsound


I did not have any great musical experiences or overt exposure to music as a passion or field of study in my youth. I was absent from grade school during the first week of band class, and when I returned all instruments I had interest in were already assigned to other children. I had the choice between trumpet and trombone. I chose to take up trumpet, but never enjoyed playing it and dropped it after two years of band. I don't have any real regrets, but I mention this as I think lack of direct interest in acoustic music at an early stage of life caused my progression in musical taste to be as elementary as the diagram on the right.

As a teenager, I listened to trashy pop music. In college, I discovered alternative and indie rock which dominated my taste for several years. At the tail end of college, and when I started to get serious about audio, I started experimenting with jazz, not out of any real appreciation or understanding of the music, but because it seemed like a cool thing to do. This wouldn't turn into a real appreciation until several years later. It was only in the past year I developed a serious interest in classical music, but this article is about jazz.

My first exposure to jazz music came as a teen when I was browsing album lists and music discussion forums in an attempt to broaden my tastes. As a visual person I put a lot of subconscious and conscious stock in cover art. I pick up books at the library or store based on their covers and the same goes for albums. One album I repeatedly saw which caught my eye was Bill Evans' Portrait in Jazz. As a teenager, I had no idea what I was looking at. There was a man with slick-backed hair and peculiar glasses, in a suit, staring past the camera on a drab brown backdrop. The words 'STEREO RIVERSIDE' were written across the top. I didn't know what a Riverside was, or why on earth they would feel the need to specify the album was in stereo, what else would it be?

Attempting to 'understand' Jazz
Until then, my concept of jazz music was something to play in the background at the barbershop while you wait for your turn to get your hair cut. I played Portrait in Jazz for about all of five minutes before concluding I didn't understand it and turning it off. I probably listened to the Pixies or something after. However, it is now one of my favorite jazz records. If you were to ask me what changed between then and now, my honest answer is that I have no idea! I matured as an individual and my musical taste matured with me. When the time came, I had to make no effort to understand or appreciate jazz music, it just came naturally, along with an interest to learn more about the artists behind it and the context they produced this music in.

This epiphany and sudden appreciation did not come from playing Bill Evans, but rather another household name, Art Blakey. My only explanation for this is that at the time my primitive, rock-addled mind could only comprehend drum-led jazz compositions and something as delicate as a piano was too 'advanced'. Ironically, the Art Blakey album that would get me is titled 'The Big Beat'. The bold, expressive cover art caught my eye; with the camera peering at a grinning Blakey through his kit, and classic Blue Note styling. I played it, the rest is history. Years after hearing it for the first time, I still hum the opening to 'The Chess Players'. Now that's a memorable tune! I got 'jazz fever' and became obsessed with be-bop and hard bop, the more raucous the better so that a rock'n'roll primate such as myself could absorb it. Exploring the Jazz Messengers catalog quickly led to the discographies of members who would go on to have solo careers such as Donald Byrd, Wayne Shorter and Jackie McLean.


After several years of listening to nothing but rock and searching for new bands to listen to until the nth degree of separation it was simultaneously exhilarating and daunting to explore a whole new genre. Eventually I built a core library, mostly of hard boppers from the Blue Note catalogue, before branching out to modal jazz; and eventually avant-garde/free form. Spoiled with choice and selection via streaming services I did not analyze or study but would just play 15 second snippets of this or that album and decide if I liked it enough. Coincidentally, I love Coltrane but I am not that crazy about Miles Davis (yet), although I appreciate he is among the best as an artist.

Currently my favorite jazz comes from the later output of certain artists who would go on to become more experimental and push the envelope, especially with tours in Scandinavian countries, such as John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Charles Mingus and Jackie McLean. I am just starting to dip my toes into earlier drummers such as Gene Krupa and Shelley Manne.


Was my appreciation of jazz music at all related to the progression of my audio system? No, I don't think so. When I began to listen to it seriously I still had the direct-drive Sony PS-X800. I got a Lenco L70, the first album I played on it was Saxophone Colossus, which was a serious 'wow' moment, but getting 'into' the genre was unconnected with my advances in hi-fi (although for classical, I feel differently).

Lenco L70 + Saxophone Collosus

So important is the need to re-visit, old equipment, old music, old books movies or games. People definitely do change and the time allows us to see the exact same thing in a new light. In fact, two of my biggest audio purchases for this year will be two pieces of gear that I never thought I would own - I had completely written them off previously due to some pre-conceived notion or the opinions of others. I look forward to writing about those pieces later and explaining what changed.

Lastly, doctorjohn has written more than once about being forced to sit through Brubeck's Time Out on a mediocre system. Well what is even worse is to visit someone with a half-decent system and ask to play jazz, and then they put on Diana Krall or Kind of Blue. Come on! Explore a little, especially if you treat audio as a social hobby (which you should, for your mental and spiritual health). I am so happy to impress others with music they have never heard whether they are listening to my system or theirs, and as a result the conversation steers equally in the direction of music as it does equipment.

In terms of catalogs, Blue Note is a fantastic place to start but is not the be-all end-all and is certainly a bit fetishized, especially in Asia. There is equally great output on Prestige, Riverside, Impulse, Verve, etc. Eventually one will want to start collecting Savoy, Bethlehem, Warwick... and then live performances captured on labels like SteepleChase, like the Jackie McLean quartet linked below.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your growing up experience. I love when people do that, usually live in person, but a good summary is just as good to receive.

    Your path is probably the more common one. Indeed, not a few friends' journeys were just like that. But for me it was the reverse. I got into classical first, effortlessly for some reason. Then one of my roommates in school ('78-'80) played pop and rock all the time, and I assimilated quite a bit.

    Jazz was the last to come. Even early on, I'd occasionally buy a jazz album, but I failed to latch on. The one exception was Coltrane's rendition of My Favorite Things. Then during a visit to my elder sister's home in D.C. I played my brother in law's Monk album and loved it. When I got back to NYC, I bought a couple but they were not the same album and I didn't like it. I got to know a lot of names and liked some but it was still a peripheral interest.

    It was not until I went back to work in HK that I started to develop an interest all of a sudden.This was concurrent with the intensification of interest in HK, fueled by 2 factors - the abundance of second hand shops in both high end audio and CDs.It goes without saying that I acquire a lot of second hand equipment and my system got more and more serious.

    During the first 10 years I amassed several thousand CDs. A lot of classicals but also a surprisingly amount of jazz. See, in HK, stores are very small and during the heydays of second-hand CDs they were priced to move, really very reasonable. Add to it that the shop workers were not completely versed in the music and that meant crazy bargains were often to be had.

    As my systems got better and better and as I met more and more high-end audiophiles my vision broadened and I started to dig quite a bit of jazz.Yes, the improvement in replay fueled everything.Another reason was that I had a good friend then who always played classic jazz, and I heard a lot there.

    By the time I left HK, I forced myself to sell my entire music collection (including hundreds of LPs) which by then included several hundreds of the labels you mentioned.I regret not having my HK collection with me here in NYC, but one cannot hold on to everything.

    Researching and exploring the catalogue and fortifying one's knowledge is indeed a blessing, though most people won't do that. It does mean something to know something about Art Blakey or Beethoven.It adds to our enjoyment.

    Since you started with a piano trio, I will mention again that my own jazz inclinations is piano driven. During my time in HK, what I played most often was Keith Jarrett Trio's Live at the Village Vanguard (ECM 5 CDs). It was just so soothing. Here I have to say while I am a Jarrett fan I am not at all an ECM jazz fan. But I like a lot of other jazz pianists. From Erroll Gardner, Tommy Flanagan, Teddy Wilson to John Lewis (especially his later stuff).I guess that focus stems from my knowledge of classical piano works.

    I am less into jazz horns, but I love Miles, even his fusion stuff, and I have still a lot of his CDs here.In fact, the ones I play most often are Tutu, Siesta and even Decoy (scorned by critics but loved by fans). Talking about Kind of Blue, my 45 rpm LP audiophile copy in HK was given to me by my HK friend Andy, who said he just couldn't get it.

    I shall also cite an esoteric album that I liked. Jim Hall's Concierto de Aranjuez (CTI, which always had good engineering), which I think is even better than the famous Miles version in Sketches of Spain (a very good record beloved by Chinese audiophiles).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your situation with second-hand media in HK & NY. In Toronto second-hand CD & LPs are not often found much cheaper than online, you just save cost of shipping.

      I have some CTIs but most are Japanese pressed and quite lean sounding. I will check out the Jim Hall piece. Keith Jarrett is good but ECM is too out there for me.

      Delete
    2. The situation is entirely different now in HK. A few second hand Cd stores have survived, bu the collection is meager and prices higher.Few people buy physical media now.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Lenco there! What cartridge are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment! I use a Shure M3D with the L70 tonearm. All of my cartridges with the exception of the DL-103 are vintage. The M3D is a superb all-rounder. An associate of mine says the DL-103 really sings in the L70 arm, I am hunting for a spare headshell to experiment.

      Delete
    2. Cool, I think we may be kindred audio spirits as I'm also using an L70 with Shure M3D, 2A3 SET amp and LaScala... I'm sure we'd get along just fine, not so far from you either, just north of Montréal. I've enjoyed this blog for many years and look forward to reading some more from both you and Doctor John!

      Delete
    3. This is delightful! I hope you and mrgoodsound will get to meet after this damn disease is over!

      The entire French Canada is a delightful place! In 1977 I went with a classmate to Montreal and Quebec City and I enjoyed it very much. I wonder whether the German beer hall is still there.

      In the 80's a colleague and I went skiing in Mont Tremblant. No wonder it is thus named, we were trembling, so cold it was. On the way there, we stopped by at the culinary school in Val David I think; I also wonder if it is there?

      Would you like to write up your system as a guest article? Cheers.

      Delete