08 August, 2020

Benchmark DAC1 Gotham GAC 4 Ultra Pro Symposium Roller Block Jr Sparkler S503II


Click pic to enlarge. iFi Zen Blue atop Benchmark DAC1; to the right Sparkler CDP with supporting device underneath. I must say very clean pic!

Letter from Hong Kong (20-5): Going Somewhere? Eric L Soldiers On

Editor: As usual, Eric muses a little on his HiFi Journey, then reports on some recent acquisitions and activities.

HiFi Listening vs Photography - Their Different Natures In my seemingly endless Quest for HiFi Nirvana, I have gone through many cycles like a Sine Wave. I had even taken a hiatus; after I cooled down, I sold my whole system. Although sometime later I was to rekindle my interest and start from scratch again, during the interim I actually was never uncomfortable nor felt something was missing, especially when I was focusing on street photography some 3 years ago. The reason for my love of photography is that I can actually share my work easily on public media. About a year later I became more serious and even had my first personal photo exhibition. Although I was almost always alone when I was shooting, somehow being a HiFi hobbyist feels much lonelier. You can post on I.G the photos of your system, but you cannot actually let the audience hear exactly how good it sounds, nor can you wear your stereo system around your neck to show off to others (Yeah, you can boast on the forum or to your friends). Just like now, we are trying so hard to describe by means of static words the sensation of listening!


Sine Curve Phenomenon During the past 6 months, I have been on the uphill limb of the Sine Curve again and who knows when I would reach the peak! So far I'm experiencing a joyride and, like many others, am enjoying the usual pleasure and pain in seeking the Holy Grail! Nirvana or Hell, what the Hell! As long as I'm truly enjoying the moment, getting there is half the fun, and there is still a long way to go!

Spending Limit Looking back, I have never spent more than USD 2k for a single purchase; in fact, most of my purchases cost less than 1k or even much less. I always think, with sufficient know-how and knowledge, one can identify bargain products with PPR that are way off the chart and build a system which can best many "exotic" systems costing 5, 6, even 10 times the price! This Principal I also apply to my other hobbies, like photography, wine tasting and fine dining! I have never had great lust for 3-Star Michelin Restaurants; instead I become ecstatic if I can find a hole-in-the-wall eatery which serves a hearty and delicious meal with an affordable price tag!

Recent Additions
I had finally given up on my faulty pair of 47 I.C. After all the frustration it had given me, I bought a new pair for around 100USD and a pair of Gotham GAC4 Pro for less than 90USD. Yes, I did order the NOS Lite DAC AH that has an underground reputation. Unfortunately, as I was ready to pick it up, the shop informed me that during testing of the unit, noise was detected and they had to reorder another unit from Shenzhen for me..During the waiting period, I also picked up a first generation Benchmark DAC1 for less than $200USD ! If it proves not to my taste, I can still use it as a headphone amp at the office!

Source On AirMac: Youtube; On Huawei P40+: Tidal, MOOV and Youtube (somehow Youtube did not click with the phone...); loads of old CDs, some almost 30 years old.

Bluetooth Streaming
1) Cheapo BT unit H10U thru GAC4 Pro
2) Zen Blue/Benchmark DAC1 combo thru Belden Cable
3) Zen Blue/Lite DAC AH (to be acquired)
4) Meitner MA-1 (on my wish list
CD Playback
5) Sparkler Audio S503II thru 47 Lab cable
6) Sparkler Audio S503II/Benchmark DAC1

Amplification icOn4 passive line amp, 47 Lab Gaincard single PSU (can convert to twin Power Humpties). Loudspeakers my most trusted Dynaudio Crafft monitors thru Mogami speaker cable. Super tweeter (on my wish list)

Supporting Devices Symposium Rollerblock Jr. Taobao 3 piece supporting base (amazing hifi improvement at the expense of slight inherited edginess).

In the meantime, I had convinced my friend Kwong to purchase the 47 lab Cable Kit since he plans to upgrade his amplifier to bi-amp his system . Hope Kimura san is healthy enough to accept the order since I heard his health condition is not great lately...

Interim Report Card -- Ta-da!
First of all, I no longer believe in a full mark, as I believe there is no perfect scoring system that can assess sound [Ed: see Footnote 1]. It is highly subjective, especially since nowadays all music is based on 0s and 1s, an absolute mystery to me. However, let's say if the performance of the Sparkler S503II by itself scores 75/100, then relatively speaking (correlate with numbered list above):

1) 70
2) 60 ( ZB/DAC1 sounds less involved compare to rest of the combinations and, despite having tried many permutations, I have to admit that I haven't got a clue).
3) TBA
4) still dreaming
5) 75 Top scoring! (the Sparkler CDP running thru 47 lab cables sounds the best in terms of musicality, PRAT, timing and rhythmic progression. Detailed yet delineated; although intensity is on the light side it is still very acceptable).
6) 67 (the Benchmark DAC1 adds more flesh to the music. Without A/B, it is a very respectable combo. But once I start comparing to the standalone S503II, I quickly notice the relative deficiencies in attack, PRAT and timing. The S503II standalone is a rare gem, hence the score spread. Benchmark DAC1 was a legend in its own time, well regarded and rave reviewed, claimed to be a Goliath; its descendants are still well regarded. Well then, S503II is the Giant's slayer's slayer!)[Ed: see Footnote 2]

Interim Verdict
A word on the little miracle H10U plus GAC4 Pro (1). I don't know whether it's due to both my P40+ phone and the H10U being well run in, or the addition of the new Gotham GAC4 Pro cable, the whole performance has been taken to another level: great instrument separation, attack; although the PRAT is still slightly short of (5), the difference is small enough and totally acceptable. The performance is respectable, and Tidal music streaming is so versatile. Every time I play this combo, I'm in awe of the outcome; I suspect the GAC4 Pro is doing a lot of magic here [Ed: see Footnote 3.] Truth is, I have absolutely no problem with listening to this combo with Tidal choosing songs from female singers for me: Katie Melea, Mary Black, Patrick Barber, Laura Fygi, Sarah Brightman, Diana Krall, Sara K, Stacy Kent, Sophie Zelami, Cassandra Wilson etc etc. And I can easily immerse in the music like a fish in water! That says a lot as I'm usually quite picky and my mind reacts immediately if I sense something I don't like. That says a lot! Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for another device which can dethrone this little gem!


Honorable Mentions:

a) Symposium Rollerblock Jr Placed under the S503II, it stabilizes the soundstage and cleans up the display [Ed: amazing effect on the display!] without sacrificing any of the musicality. It is definitely an essential kit.

b) Taobao 3 pcs isolation kit For less than 20USD, it works wonders, improves the overall sound performance by 20%, especially in clarity and information retrieval. There is a trace edginess which is absolutely tolerable, even if it may not suit all setups (I would imagine it works really well on tube gears).

So much for now. I can't wait for my 47 lab and GAC4 Pro cables to fully burn in, and for the Lite DAC AH to arrive; until then, stay tuned and adios!

Editor's Footnotes: [1] I applaud this way of thinking when it comes to scoring. A dire contrast would be the scoring used by the audio magazine I most detest: Taiwan's Audio Art magazine, which also operates a large netzine, www.audionet.com.tw. Except for the brief reviews, this magazine scores every piece of gear for what it deems as the10 most important audio parameters. Every piece gets at least 9 10's and at most one 9. Many get 10 10's. So the Bar Graphs look like the worst of the Loudness War - no waveform, just a solid rectangle. This magazine reviews tons of (mostly) German gears that I deem worthless (and crazily overpriced). Yes, I have heard a lot of these in HK. This magazine is so beautifully printed and with great production values; unfortunately it seems the values of the writers are completely misplaced and corrupted by its commercial success (they also produce the largest Taiwan Audio Shows, one f the most important in the world; [2] I have heard in detail the original Benchmark, not a bad DAC, and it is also precisely its somewhat literal manner that stopped me from acquiring one to try; [3] The GAC Pro is a relatively new series that is a bit different from the classic GAC series. I only have the GAC-1 Pro and it is excellent! All Gotham cables excel in PRaT.

23 comments:

  1. in fact, there is a certain level of quality of parts, materials and build quality - below which one cannot go down ... otherwise there will be an illusion - outwardly everything seems to be good, but the original is OBVIOUSLY different from the copy ... Of course, this also applies to audio electronics ... you can't make a delicious soup from rotten potatoes (and good parts are expensive) ... But it's also true that many audio products are monstrously overpriced ...

    https://somanyhorses.ru/wp-content/images/news/konyshnia/2017/06/kitajskie-vnedorozhniki-kotorye-nevozmozhno-otlichit-ot-originala/5.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salut! I hope you are well in this pandemic. Best wishes, you're always among the first to respond. Although we don't agree in some things (not important), I personally respect the Russians as a Noble People, who through their immense sufferings have a wisdom and world view their own. As a classical music fan, I am forever indebted to great Russian Musicians, irreplaceable, a reflection of the depth of culture.

      Delete
  2. Hi Eric,
    I’m sorry to hear about the issues with the Lite dac. At least they saved you from the frustration of discovering it yourself. Given the low price of the unit and what mostly seems a labor of love type operation, I find the level of customer service they offer truly admirable. Anyhow I’m looking forward to your report once you have the dac.

    I also use 47 Lab ICs and they gave me some trouble too. Being very thin and fragile, they don’t like to be moved around. After a few pairs I started to pull a piece of heatshrink onto the solder tab and solder joint. Once heat is applied, the heatshrink restricts movement and it seems to make the cable more robust.

    Speaking of 47 Labs: I have a Model 4717 (aka Shigaraki) amp and I’ve always wondered what is the nature and extent of difference between my amp and the Gaincard. Have you ever compared the two?
    Maybe Doctor John can chime in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'd think it is largely a cosmetic thing (like in their CDPs). I have always wanted a 4717. :-)

      Delete
    2. Ha, I’ve waited for the opportunity to buy one for about 15 years. :)

      But I can promise you this: if I ever decide to sell it for some currently unforeseeable reason, you will be the first to know! ;)

      Delete
    3. There's a thing called Pride of Ownership! And the entire Shigiraki series deserves that kind of commitment. Something is bound to be better, but it won't retain our loyalty as much. :-)

      But the Gaincard probably has a larger PSU, no? That's all the difference there is. So the Gaincard should be a little more powerful, but probably not better sounding, especially with highly efficient loudspeakers. This is my take.

      Delete
    4. Oh yes, the Shigaraki series definitely have this aura that makes you connect with it on a different level. And you are right in saying that some gear might be better, but somehow not many can evoke this emotional connection. I hope I will be able to buy at least the DAC from the series.

      As for the Gaincard PSU, I have no idea if it's bigger or not. Nominally the Model 4717 is 22W per channel, so very similar to the smaller Gaincard. To the best of my knowledge they use different opamps though: LM3875 for the Gaincard and LM1875 for the Model 4717.

      Delete
    5. All I know Kimura chooses matched pair painstakingly from sea batch of same opamps to get the best results! Would be nice to listen to your 4717 to see the difference. Mind you my Dynaudio is notoriously difficult to drive but my Gaincard did a great job and paired together well!

      Delete
  3. Dexler,
    I have yet to hear the Shigiraki but would imagine a great sounding one. As for the Gain card, I bought it without auditioninh the unit lol, a big gamble but given all the reviews I have researched and rave review by my friend, I am actually quite confident that it's the cure for me. Despite a few distress, given few weeks of running it in, it has all the things that I was hoping for! It's probably one of the few most important components of my hifi journey!

    Like Dr. J, I'll be on the waiting list for this gem 4717 should you even consider selling it.

    But I suspect Sparkler Audio is something you should look into in any future upgrade!

    Well, I'm not in a hurry for the Lite DAC, as I'm quite happy with the S503II, as a standalone player, it has the internal I2S connection so it should be more in sync and cohesive. But be very interesting to see if any external DAC can further improve it! BTW, service was great on that shop selling the Lite.

    Also, I'm a late starter but am seriously considering a decent LPS for the DAC of S503II and in future any Streamer purchase. However, it is proven that a pedestrian LPS will not do wonder to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric,
      As luck would have it, the European distributor of Sparkler is a Hungarian gentleman, so I have access to Sparkler products. In fact, I've already had their Unison DAC in my system for a few days.

      Delete
    2. hi, could you send me an email. I'd like to discuss something with u.

      doctorjohn@myself.com

      Delete
    3. Be interested in your view compare against the Lite DAC AH!

      Delete
    4. Eric, unfortunately I couldn't spend enough time with the Sparkler DAC to form a meaningful opinion (I had to pass it on to a potential paying customer, which I'm currently not in terms of DACs). Plus I had the USB version and as you know the Lite is SPDIF+Optical only. So with a USB source, I also need a USB to SPDIF converter for the Lite - therefore it can be argued that this would not be a direct comparison of the DACs any more.

      What I can say for sure is this (and this is another major reason - besides insufficient listening time - why I'm hesitant to make a comparison): the USB version of the Sparkler DAC benefits greatly from the addition of a USB reclocker. You don't have to listen for the change, like for example when you change a filter setting on a DAC. This is clear and obvious and the change is for the better. Much better. I'd go as far as to say that it is a must addition to the USB version.



      Delete
    5. Thanks for the update!

      Delete
  4. Hello

    Is the gac 4 pro the same as the gac 4/1? What rca plugs did you use and did you float the shield at one end? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, different.

      GAC 4/1 or 11001 has been around for a long time:

      https://gothamcables.com/en/gothamcables/starquad/11001gac41

      GAC 4 pro actually should be GAC 4 Ultra Pro, 11301, with even more shielding, and significantly more expensive.

      https://gothamcables.com/en/gothamcables/starquad/11301gac41ultrapro

      Gotham is doing that ultra pro thing on all the GAC interconnects.

      My only experience is GAC-1 Ultra Pro, excellent!

      Delete
    2. Eric's is likely from Labkable in HK; I'll ask him to examine it.

      For myself, although I have also used Amphenol, I prefer nickel connectors, Rean, or even better, Switchcraft. It is said old stock Switchcraft is superior.

      Delete
    3. The seller, a nice gentleman, replied that he floated the shield from beginning direction, from "G" of Gotham, and cut the outer shield at the end.

      Delete
  5. I'm a first time user. Got a 1.5m from a private seller who order bulk and perform termination himself, no clue about its shielding.I was told there's an optimum length which mine slightly exceed which I wouldnnot tell the difference. It's already great once plug and play! LABKABLE charges me almost 150usd but 90USD from this nice guy. The whole finished product look decent and I'm very happy with the SQ.

    BTW, it's 11301, or GAC4 PRO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you connected a Gotham Gac-4/1 Ultra Pro to a KLE Copper Harmony RCA?
      Why didn't you use Gac-1 Ultrapro instead. Also how does it compare (musically) to a regular neutrik/rean connector?
      Trying to have one built for a DAC Amp ic (would love your guys contact info)

      Delete
  6. Yes i too have found rean or simple connectors sounding better than fancy ones with a lot of metal like wbt and xshadow. You must talk with stefan from stefan audio art on cables. He's stuck to ribbons as a geometry but the guy has a lot of insight into stuff like isolation, rca connectors being simple, minimal solder points, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must look at how the 47Lab OTA kit uses its cable ugly connector but it is so effective!

      Delete