11 February, 2021

Happy Year of the Ox


Happy Chinese New Year of the Ox
Letter from Shenzhen (21-6): doctorjohn on Post-Quarantine

Time flies. I crossed into China on New Year's Eve, and I started writing this article on the Eve of the Chinese New Year (based on the Lunar Calendar). Like Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is a time for Family Reunion. The Chinese New Year differs in that it is celebrated over at least 2 weeks (though in modern times most workers would not receive such a long period of leave).

China has a gargantuan number of migrant workers who came from rural areas to the big cities. Shenzhen is probably the most drastic example of an immigrant city - probably more than 90% of the population do not come from the city itself but have roots in other provinces or cities. For these workers, many of whom working 7 days a week, aside from perhaps the National Day the New Year is the only time when things shut down and they get to go home to see their parents and, often, children (they leave their children with their parents so as they could work long hours). Due to the pandemic and now-controlled small clusters of cases in Northwest China, China has been discouraging travel this year, and instituted mandatory covid test for entry into big cities, and hence perhaps population flow this year has been reduced by roughly 40-50%. That means many have opted not to see their loved ones this year. Like Thanksgiving and Christmas, the city basically shuts down for about 2 days.

Here I wish you all a Happy Year of the Ox! Above are the official stamps this year. China is not the only country that issues this kind of stamps. At the bottom is one from mostly Muslim Kyrgyzstan (superior artwork)!

Post-Quarantine
it has been a month since I got out of the hotel. On day 13, a nurse in FMJ came to swap me (again, a thorough 6 swirls orally and 2 jabs in the nostrils) and I was let go the next day.

I actually spent the last week of my hotel stay writing a lengthy article on audiophile psychology. Then, a catastrophe - I improperly "saved" it and lost it. It was not the first time I committed this elementary mistake; strangely, it only happens with lengthy articles. I have tried to reconstruct it but it has been difficult, but you shall see a variant someday.

The first week out was spent under "home observation" . Although I received my green QR Code (a wechat function that makes use of its digital payment feature), I was supposed to not go anywhere unless I had a good reason. Of course I went to the supermarket to gather the necessary beverages. Of course, mask on, as required for everyone inside the mall.

Although Shenzhen has no local cases, virtually everyone is compliant with official rules. All entrances to malls are manned, with temperature checks. QR codes are everywhere at entrances but enforcement is not universal. Some malls require scanning for entry, others don't. In smaller shops, usually everyone wears a mask. There are security breaches here and there (particularly in gateways, as in parking lot elevators). As there are no local cases, people are pretty relaxed and not worried. On the street some people don't wear masks. So it is doubly impressive that people practice mask wearing as an etiquette; they don't need to be told to wear one when entering a shop or mall. Many people in the West who shun masks, particularly those in Office, should be ashamed of themselves for not doing the part of a citizen, not to mention failure to lead.

Government agencies and banks in China are particularly strict. One is required to scan one or even 2 QR codes and fill in a digital form. It is rather inconvenient but people oblige. Cannot imagine this being practiced in the US (the security guard would be shot).

The most amazing thing to me is restaurants are functioning normally. All staff wear masks but of course the customers don't when they eat. There is no capacity limit, but it is clear there are less people inside than before, as people curb their activities. I ate out a few times, but I only picked uncrowded eateries and mostly sat outdoors when available.

Meanwhile, the vast armies of delivery workers on motorbikes are working in frenzy. On any street you can spot them and in many places they outnumber pedestrians. They not only deliver cooked food, but everything else, including grocery. China's online shopping and delivery is on a scale that vastly outstrips the west, in no small measure due to the efficiency of digital payment. It has also been credited for both coming to the aid of beseiged cities (like Wuhan initially and Shijiazhuan recently) and helping in the prevention of viral transmission. For environmental reasons, I don't use their services but I appreciate these workers.

I went on the Metro and Buses a few times and I saw no breach of safety protocol, and no homeless people. Not at all like riding the subway in NYC. Last week I made a one and a half hour trip to IKEA and the huge restaurant was packed even at 2 pm. Yes, IKEA serves the usual Western fare, with few concessions to Chinese taste, and it feels exactly the same as elsewhere.


1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year and stay away from Covid!

    In China, you are in a much better position!

    Btw,llost article happenes to me a few time. I spenr a lot of time i. Writing the Wattson and lost in one mistake I did!! Lucky I opened the editor in different destop PCs and the other post was still on the page and was not refreshed yet and hence, I be able fo preserve 80% of it... Not so lucky in previous articles that I had to rewrite, it is definitely a painful experience!

    ReplyDelete