05 July, 2021

Why Care About Good Sound

By mrgoodsound

I am sure a few readers of this post will have asked themselves at one point or another, regarding audio: "Why do I care? Is it really worth it?". For some, including myself, audio is serious business. I mean the investments made eventually become sacrifices, to where the audio lover begins to compromise other opportunities and facilities in life. Audio, as in all of life, has ups and downs. The path to good sound is not an even road, and the troughs can be cause for sometimes severe self-reflection. I have witnessed many, including friends, decide to stop the chase: selling off most or all of their equipment in an effort to downsize or quit the "hobby" altogether. Most often this happens during a low point, and not a high one. 

Why? For one, there are too many people on the path for the wrong reasons. I won't focus on them, because the end of their road is inevitable. However there are also many who simply become lost, falling victim to consumerist tendencies which lead to purchasing decisions made on the basis of a cloud of polluted information, which hangs like a fog over today's audio marketplace. Even with the purest of intentions (how many times have you heard someone say a cliché like "it's all about the music?") you can only follow winding roads so far before you realize there is no end in sight.

The traveler has to have resolve. On a long hike, your resolve comes mainly from knowing how far you've come, and how far you've yet to go. But for the field of sound reproduction, the destination is vague, considering 'gains' are theoretically infinite, the destination is always shifting in the traveler's fickle mind. Except if you are one of those very smart audio science people, in which case, you have everything figured out. 

Fairy tales aside, you have to have a strong and unwavering conception of what can be. This is not a concept of what your system can be, for someone who is interested in equipment (aren't we all?) will have an ever-changing and often never-ending evolution of that concept. The concept of what can be must be focused on your state as a listener, on what level of perception (consciously, subconsciously) you may receive music, and the convenience with which you may do so. 

As an extreme example, I have met audiophiles with very expensive systems who only engage with them in tandem with another activity, such as watching a football game or browsing the internet. For such a listener, not even their conscious is fully engaged, let alone their subconscious, and therefore it is no wonder that such an individual could one day sell all of their equipment, purchase a Bose radio, and feel like they were missing very little. Why should they care? It certainly wasn't worth it for them. And yet this extreme example is not so far off from reality for a large number of people who engage in this "hobby". Despite fleeting highs usually obtained from an endless exchange and acquisition of equipment, they are never more than one or two steps removed from just quitting. And these steps are usually more along the lines of "what will all my friends think of me?" or a sunk cost fallacy than an actual fear of returning to a lesser sound system.

I will provide a personal anecdote. Most recently I have been in a 'low': my trusted digital source, a 2008 Mac Pro computer, went on the fritz and refused to communicate with my USB/SPDIF converter. I would consider myself a tech-savvy person, and yet roughly 3 weeks of continuous troubleshooting and experimenting proved unsuccessful to fix it (as of this post, I am still trying). In the interim, I had to have music, so I started trying many different computers in its stead. Unfortunately, and perhaps surprisingly, all of them sounded worse than the 2008 Mac. It is frustrating enough to have computers and software perform differently, but the fact that a solution I was quite content with suddenly stopped working was difficult even for my resolve to handle. I have other sources and systems to listen to music on of course, but I relied on my main system to be where I could consistently engage with music on the highest level of perception. 

What could be for me no longer was. During this low I even started contemplating selling some of my more prized equipment as the memory of 'what could be' faded further into the distance, replaced by a new normal in which I became used to engaging with music on a lower and more obscure level. After cursing myself while reinstalling the operating system on my Mac for the 6th time, I caught myself asking why do I care? Is it really worth it? 

These questions and the accompanying sour mood continued until tonight, where I stayed up to watch a film recommended by a friend, Portrait de la jeune fille en feu (2019). Without spoiling anything, I will attempt to explain that I had the most profound experience. The film can be described as deliberate and slow-paced, with only two pieces of music used throughout the two-hour runtime. The first, an original choral composition, is used to signify a turning point in the plot; though I was so engrossed in the movie at that time I did not think too much of it once it had passed. The second, however, comes right at the end. The presto movement from Vivaldi's Summer is used as a powerful catharsis for both the characters in the film and the audience; as the preceding 10 minutes formulate an emotional cliffhanger.

My reaction to the ending sequence was physical: my body seized, I began to feel numb in my forearms, my eyes involuntary began to well, I developed a lump in my throat. The only way I can think of to describe the experience for someone who has not seen the movie, is that for 120 seconds I felt close to God. I am not even a religious person. It was 4 AM when the movie ended and it was time to go to bed, but the effects lingered: I was alternating between giddy and nauseous, a state of laughing and crying. I realized it would be physically impossible to go sleep, the process of catharsis that the film and its music began had to be finalized with some sort of output. Almost immediately, the creative inspiration to write this (in)coherent article formed.

The clever reader is probably asking: "What are you getting at? Surely you watched this movie on a low-fidelity sound system! So are you saying high-end audio isn't a worthwhile pursuit after all, because such experiences can be had outside of it?"

Yes and no. Yes because like the characters in the film, which is set in 18th century France, you can have deep human experiences with music well outside the scope of a high-end audio system. Sometimes, I have them with my car radio. No because the experience I just described could be had at almost any time, on a consistent basis, with my home audio system (when the Mac was working!). Unfortunately, I have not yet mastered how to do that with my car stereo or $15 Koss headphones. This may sound far fetched to some. Indeed such a state of listening is generally reserved for sensitive and open-minded people, for lack of better descriptors.

So to return to the question: "Why do I care?", the answer must be that without what can be, I am truly missing the ability to have deep human experience with music on a consistent (almost on demand!) basis. If you have a lot (in your estimation) of money invested into your system and you are not getting this experience, then the question "Is it really worth it?" becomes difficult, but perhaps necessary, to answer.

The trailer for the film is linked below. If it intrigues you, and you do not mind films with more 'deliberate' pacing, I highly recommend it.


10 comments:

  1. I think that we have too much of everything and not enough time to really experience things.
    I remember in my youth days how difficult it was to buy an album and how thoroughly it was appreciated. I still know the lyrics, the band members, the producers, etc of so many vynil albums of the 70´s and 80´s.
    Then came the CD and the possibility of purchasing great quantities resulting in lack of time for listening, real listening.
    And now streaming. Can we really cope with so much music. Bear in mind that I am very grateful to be able to stream all that I can, but surely the ability to have deep human experience with music can be slightly dilluted simply due to lack of time and appetite.
    Like with richly covered banquet table ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you make a point.
      A more extreme example, in 18th century France most exposure to music would be to choral and organ works through church. It would be a rare privilege for most to hear an orchestra.
      Today we are not only spoiled for choice but we also suffer from auditory and mental pollution, 'blocking' our musical receptors and inhibiting engagement on higher levels of musical perception.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. What a wonderful surprise | As a film buff I have always frowned upon wanton use of genetic music to augment the visual. Judicial use of good music of course can be icing on the cake. Not that I like icing.

      Directors who use music well include kieslowski, Terrence Malik, Tarkovsky and wong kar Wai. Just my sensibilities.

      Great movies and music can all bring us to tears, and we are blessed when we can respond so. Not everyone can.

      Delete
    3. I am embarrassed to admit as a Russophile I have not seen a Tarkovsky film yet. Which is your favourite?

      I have long since recognized the effectiveness of the sound together with the image in conveying musical emotions to the listener. My current and future systems must have an optional display for this purpose!

      Delete
    4. as i am a big fun of Tarkovsky i will for sure recommendation all of them...(They are not so many)but for a start i will go with same film i saw first and that is "Andrei Rublev" a black and white masterpiece . "Ivan's Childhood " is also great start where every picture from this film could be taken away and just hang in photo art gallery....and that is maybe idea to watch them as they are made. My silent favorite is "Mirror" but to be honest all of this films are so out of usual film production and in same time i don't think they could ever be made in western world just because things are what they are and art is art but money is money....In fact he made two films in a west and that is "Nostalgia" and "The Sacrifice" but by that time he was so strong name with many fans in whole world. I like even "Solaris" which i didn't first time i see because it was in cinema where cinema operator mix roles and they where not show to us in order so it was very confused show - but i manage to see that later in proper order....and his all films have this quality that you will just go back to them sometime to rediscover something or sometime just to feel that mood and everything that film "produce" to a viewer... maybe it is best way to end this letter a quote of Ingmar Bergman - "My discovery of Tarkovsky's first film was like a miracle. Suddenly, I found myself standing at the door of a room the keys of which had until then, never been given to me. It was a room I had always wanted to enter and where he was moving freely and fully at ease. I felt encountered and stimulated: someone was expressing what I had always wanted to say without knowing how. Tarkovsky is for me the greatest, the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream"

      Delete
    5. You should count yourself lucky that there is so much treasure to explore! I am not sure which Tarkovsky I'd single out, but for me it'd not be his last one, Sacrifice (I've never liked Erland Josephson for some reason). The one before, Nostalghia, is better. But I'd say the much earlier Mirror or Stalker are more essential. Andrei Rublev requires even more of the viewer. Solaris is likely the easiest to watch. BTW, should you get to it, read Tarkovsky's wonderful book, Sculpting in Time, likely available from the library, a masterpiece by itself.

      Delete
    6. Yes, the screen IS essential. These days I watch quite a bit of video on Bilibili (China's youtube). The video definitely enhances musical enjoyment.

      Delete
    7. Denis, I read your quote of Bergman. Indeed, I know this quote and that is just what I felt when I first watched Tarkovsky's films. Another language, almost.

      I actually came to Bergman way before Tarkovsky and anyone from the "much missed" Iron Curtain, but it has to be admitted that adversity frequently created the greatest art. BTW, I am a great Bergman fan. In my late teens I started to watch his films, without much understanding, but there was something that attracted me, and I persisted. A teenage fresh arrival from Asia (albeit with good English command), coming across PERSONA is really crazy, but it proves that some kinds of beauty transcends race, genre, everything. My father was an artist, and that perhaps had prepared me, of sorts.

      Delete
    8. almost same here...first Bergman film i see was on TV and it was a "The Seventh Seal" and i was just a kid butt these images stuck with me...So i remember that name "Bergman" and that become a ticket for some different world. I even push myself to learn chess because i was afraid that Death will come and offer me same proposition like Max von Sydow have....Later when i watch this particular film it was strange because i was watch this film like some horror and now i see that it was much broader than some genre classification(even a lot of humor is there) ....In that time Bergman was shown a lot on TV because it was "artistic" and that pass in Yugoslavia in that time even film was from west. I see first time Tarkovsky in 1979 because it was Belgrade FEST film festival and they show it on TV (probably unthinkable these days)a "Stalker" . It was a huge influence because it open you as a viewer for all sorts of thing and not just film...All this movies today still work for me after all these years - Bergman made much more movies then Tarkovsky but it is diff. context in making,preparation and funds. I really cant even imagine how much will cost today "Andrei Rublev" if someone wants to made this film in a way that was made in that time....Both also have huge influence on me as Photographer and i realize that i could have in my pictures a story , mood, atmosphere and that is not just a moment worth of capture there....not to mention music - Bergman "The Magic Flute" which somehow manage to bring and raise my interest in classic and all that in language that i don't understood . They are really two magicians and not just film directors.

      Delete
    9. Yes, the Marvelous Magic Flute! In Swedish! I watched it in NYC's Carnegie Hall Cinema, which was really run down in those days. The fun thing about this cinema was that there was an organ, and someone would come and play between films...It is now the Zankel Hall, which s acoustically not very good. I wish they have kept it as a film revival house. Most revival houses are gone now...Everything is on the computer...but I miss the old days...

      I am curious about you as photographer, should you have time, would you email me? doctorjohn@myself.com

      Delete