15 September, 2021

Gotham GAC4 vs Grimm Audio TPR

Letter from Hong Kong (21-5): Eric L on Gotham GAC4 vs Grimm TPR

Lately I haven't been posting much since I have been quite content with my current setup and understand the virtues and limitations of it. As long as it has all the essential elements that l want and only limitations that I can live with, I'm perfectly fine!

Recently, I bought a pair of Grimm Audio TPR, which for many years has been raved by a lot of pro studios as being neutral and dynamic. A very nice DIY guy prepared a pair for me.

I will skip the initial impressions. For 3 months I used it sparingly to let it run in. Finally one day I decided to replace my Gotham GAC4 with the TPR and have a prolonged listening for a week.

The different was not that obvious initially but I sensed a reduction in bass quality and quantity, which GAC4 has in abundance.

Putting the Symposium Rollerblocks under my iCon4 did help with clarity and separation. Music played through the TRW was neutral but I kind of sensed something had been missing from the get go and I thought maybe it was the Emerson's Swiss sound that was the culprit. My feet hardly tapped...

After more than a week had passed by, I decided to change back to GAC4 and, voila, everything was back!! How I had missed the sound. The difference, so subtle on initial AB tests, had become much more pronounced now. I would say the music had woken up again!

Timing, rhythmic progression , musicality were back totally and the ripe, taut and sinewy bass resurfaced! GAC4 wins hands down which I had not expected at all!

I also ordered a pair of speaker wire 54240 from Gotham and would try to replace my most reliable Mogami cable for comparison. Brought it home and connected it to my system. First impression shows that it's very comparable to my Mogami, which is a good sign! Shall let it run in for a few weeks and see how it will develop! Eager to see who's the winner!!

Ed: Your experience mirrors that of mine! For me, it was the Belden 8402, so championed by Jeff Day et al. It is just plain boring, and slow at the leading edge. My theory is that these kinds of cables are suitable for people whose systems are already too sharp or edgy, or just plain like music to sound slow (here). These days, I'd take anything that crowd says (including Positive Feedback) with a big grain of salt.

Eric L: Please also visit my IG @ericlovesfuji  for my photography works!! 






11 comments:

  1. Anyone has any experience with the Gotham Gac-1 Ultrapro with KLE Copper Harmony bullet plugs?
    Also for an XLR would you prefer Gotham Gac-2 v1 or the much more expenssive Gac-4/1 Ultra Pro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. The GAC-1 Ultrapro is really excellent and highly resolving, and I just use cheap professional connectors. I am not into connectors except for professional and reasonable ones, but this cable is excellent for sure.

      2. The old GAC-2 is a great cable, balanced and warm. The GAC-4 Ultrapro I have not personally used but friends seem to like it. It is for sure more resolving. So it depends. If your system needs warmth, the older ones might be a little more suitable than the new ones; vice versa for the new ones.

      Delete
    2. Our own E Lo actully used GAC4 Pro with KLE。 Here:

      https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2020/08/benchmark-dac1-gotham-gac-4-pro.html?showComment=1639232059440#c5124968949190029168

      Delete
    3. I had used GAC2 and I think GAC4 Pro is much preferred. Overall, the clarity and refinement has vastly improved right off the bat. Can't turn back anymore!

      Delete
    4. E Lo,
      Would you happen to have the contact of the guy who prepared the cable for you as I'm having difficulty finding any.
      Thanks

      Delete
  2. GothamUSA said they would not recommend gac4/1 ultrapro with kle but said they are making the regular quad 4/1 with kle .
    Is there a benefit to using quad cables over single or double if rf interference is not an issue?
    How would something like Mogami 2803 compare to the Gothams?
    My system is Audio mirror Tubadour 2 tube DAC-> Burson Soloist 3xp (waiting for it) -> Cleer Next headphones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why Gothamusa said that.

      In my experience Quad cables are usually a little more resolving and hifi than double. This is tru of Gotham (GAC 4 vs 2) as well as Mogami (2534 vs 2549). Which one is better is hard to say - it depends on the system highly, on whether you need more resolution or more warmth. These frequently don't come in tandem.

      My feeling is Mogami is just a little cooler than Gotham, so I usually prefer the latter for its musicality.

      Delete
    2. The guy said because the 4/1 pro is 9mm it will not fit and they would not be comfortable making one. Then he mentioned they do have a regular 4/1 which is not listed on their website. They did say though that their 4/1 will clearly outperform their gac-1 pro especially with the kle copper harmony.
      I usually would prefer the extra warmth in my system.
      Maybe E Lo can share who made that cable as that was a good price and its very hard to find.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have contacted E Lo and I'll make sure you get the info you want. Perhaps u can also email me so E Lo can email you.

      Yes, the problem with the Ultra Pro series is that they have become too big and stiff and would not fit many connectors. Yes, the 4 Ultra pro cannot use my usual Amphenol and Rean and Switchcraft connectors, so it is a hassle, which is why I don;t use it.

      Yes, the older GAC 4/1 (with Ultra Pro designation) is an excellent cable also. I am not sure it will outperform GAC-1 Ultra Pro but my opinion is that it is great to have more than one Gotham in your arsenal. The only way to find out which fits you best is through your own system, not other people's words (including ours).

      Delete
    4. Deep cryogenic processed GAC 4/1 is my new favorite cable. I send it to a company in Canada for the treatment for $35.00 per pair (up to 2M long and 10mm Dia.) and viola it's the best sounding cable I ever had in my system. The most notable difference in my system is the upper midrange being sweet musical and feel a little more relaxed overall and a wider, deeper soundscape. And the lush rich sound so involving that you just hear the music and not the cable. I read somewhere that cables that have coatings on, such as silver or tin don't benefit from it, (old wive's tale?). So I just took a chance with the GAC 4 only, and I'm glad I did.

      Delete