17 January, 2022

Subwoofer!!! Wowed!


Click pics to enlarge.

Letter from Hong Kong (22-1): E Lo wowed by Subwoofer

Editor: E Lo actually struggled for quite a while before arriving at satisfaction. This is par for the course. Although I suspect audiophiles secretly dig the frustrations of others (especially if they themselves have been stuck), I am still glad he spared us the details...:-)

All through my hifi journey, I have not been a fan of the subwoofer. I have never craved mega bass; rather I think of myself as one who prefers quality over quantity. Even after having skimmed through many articles about subwoofers on this website, I still did not develop even a slightly urge to try. How wrong was I!

Although I had been contented with my setup, I have not stopped searching for hifi nirvana and was constantly looking for ways to upgrade my system without hurting my wallet. I always believe experience can save you wasting big bucks, LOL! The numerous articles, including DJ's many posts, claim that once hooked up to a subwoofer, one will never let go, and also that there is no need to buy an uber expensive one to achieve the goal. Eventually, I began looking at a cheap 2nd hand one in HK’s most active 2nd market review33.com to see if there was any good deal around. I saw many great brands like SVS, Velodyne etc. Then I noticed that there was an Audio Physics 10" active Sub selling for 200 USD and, without much thought, I brought it home!

I didn't have the luxury to place it at different spots. So, it's sitting next to the right side of my Dynaudio Crafft speaker, with bass driver facing me.

There are a few ways of connecting it and I chose (Hi Level) direct wiring from the speaker binding posts of my 47 Lab Gaincard, which I think is most direct and best way (Footnote 1).

I have then spent months listening to it, experimenting with different settings in gain, volume and crossover frequency, plus the option of using single or dual Humpty Power Supply for my 47.

Single or Dual HumptThis is a love and hate situation. After prolonged listening, the difference is obvious. Single sounds rawer, and grainy, with slight gain in speed but with loss in control, clarity and separation, at least in my setup. With duo Humpties, the overall sound is not slow, nor cool, but just a tad polite, yet with control and stability (Footnote 2).

Part of the politeness I suspect is probably due to the new Gotham speaker wires I was using with the Crafft. It replaced the speedy Mogami I was using before. However, I feel the gain in overall clarity and texture is worth the loss in speed so, for now, the Mogami is used for hooking up the sub (Grimm TPR is still gathering dust).

I finally have to admit while 47 Lab 50w x2 can drive my Crafft admirably, it's still a difficult speaker to drive. With the 100W D class subwoofer, it frees up the Crafft.

Settings on my Subwoofer After much trial and errors (I am going to spare you the pain of going through mine), my settings are: High Gain (Footnote 3), Higher than average Volume and High Crossover Frequency. At least it works for my setup. Crossover frequency is now set to 80 Hz, and Gain and Volume roughly 60% in both. It seems to work fine for me, different from what people generally prefer (lower settings; Footnote 4).

So, do I get thundering bass? To be honest, I'm more interested in getting the "side-benefits" than the added bass oomph. But I must say the result is far more than I had hoped for and I am pleasantly surprised!

So, what did I gain? The bass has indeed absolutely improved in many ways: I have now got real bass - the fullness, the size, the bounciness and authority are there, and the definition of bass has vastly improved.

The bass now does have the scale and authority of floorstanders. Ultimate density and impact are still not the best, but the ripe and sinewy bass is there.

What else? Overall clarity has improved significantly as well; soundstage has expanded; timbre and rhythmic portrait has improved so much that my previous listening experience could be described as behind a piece of plexiglass, or reading with glasses that are under-prescribed. Gone are the slight smearing and smudge!!

Overall, music presentation is analog-like, relaxed, with no digital glare. It is dead on timing, with natural microdynamics, wide soundstage that extend beyond the speakers (if the recordings have it). Instruments separate clearly while seeming to gel with each other cohesively. Timbre is brilliantly accurate’ midrange is clear, free from grain, with no added euphony, and is non fatiguing! Treble maintains the noble and sublime quality of the Esotar tweeter (Footnote 5). Overall, a balanced system with zero MSG and highly enjoyable. It is not type of sound that tries to grab every second of your attention, which can sometimes be too much of good thing and may not be the best especially when you just want to relax and submerge yourself in music.

I especially find it very well suited in listening to pop and jazz. plus a bit of funky and soul music.

Listening to Toto's Taking it Back, the intro phrase that was played three times can be heard distinctly in three positions. First, the left, then moving to halfway between left and middle, and then dead centre. Previously, I did not pick up the progression at all.

Overall, it seems like I'm rediscovering every recording I have been listening to, even songs that I’ve heard 100s of times!!!

To me, this is one of the most substantial upgrades in my hifi journey and I can only regret that I have not done it much sooner! (Footnote 6)

I told my friend Kwong about my experience, and he immediately bought a Rogers AV subwoofer and had some painful experience in setting up. With his Audionet SAM driving the high and mids of his Auioplan small floorstander (and super tweeter), and power amp driving the bass of Audioplan and subwoofer, the improvement is again significant after some very careful adjustments of the settings. Both of us are now happy believers of subwoofers!!

As for you, WAIT NO FURTHER, GO GET A SUBWOOFER IMMEDIATELY, LIFE IS SHORT!!!!!!!

Editor's Footnotes: (1) All active subwoofers offer Low-Level (Line Level) and High Level (power amp output) connections. Each has its advantages and disadvantages - the former likely sees more impedance variations than the latter; (2) The more fluid performance of a single Humpty had been noted by some reviewers before. This raises questions about the use of separate power supplies and monoblocks in "higher end" (and over-kill DIY). Think about this. McIntosh MC40 x 2 and MC75 x 2 are well recognized to not sound as good as their stereo counterparts MC240 and MC275; (3) This appears unique to Audio Physics (imho not a bad company). I know of no sub that has this Gain setting. Mind you, AP designed these for their own smaller loudspeakers, and other users must adapt. It's great the E Lo surmounted the problems; (4) Audiophiles jealously guard their main loudspeakers and are reluctant to "contaminate" the "special" woofers of their preferred speakers. But they are highly mistaken. Better bass delivery eases everything and will open up things, as E Lo had noted. In terms of crossover frequency, I have always found a higher point to be more coherent. Never cross lower than 60-70-80. I assume you are using small speakers; (5) The Esotar is likely the most famous Dynaudio tweeter ever. It was used in many high-end loudspeakers, from Ruark to Sons faber. I still own the SF Electa Amator II, which imho is better than the I, but the I commands a higher price because of the Esotar (many samples have seen repairs). The Esotar is also used in the legendary Extrema; (6) I beg to differ. It takes time, a LOT of time (and money misspent), to mature. If E Lo had done these 10 years earlier, when he was likely more tempestuous, he would have dismissed the whole thing! The subtle changes take experience to recognize. Don't we all regret our many decisions of our youths! Take Home Message: As E Lo implied. the real benefits of a subwoofer are not necessarily in the bass department, but felt in overall musical presentation.





No comments:

Post a Comment