31 March, 2022

MusicWeb Listening Room


Click pic to enlarge.

The MusicWeb Listening Room

In my last Classical Streaming article I mentioned the classical webzine MusicWeb International. I read it every weekday (no reviews on weekends) for information on new issues (and re-issues). Few webzines have similar daily outputs. It is also unusual in that it reviews a lot of new music by living composers, many obscure. They also review a lot of historical recordings on small labels that are unfortunately not usually available for streaming. Another interesting feature is that the same recording is often passed on to a another different reviewers (I enjoy particularly when there are different views).

Despite my having read them for years, I have never read about their Listening Room! Now, they have a proper one, quite expensive to boot (here are details). Good equipment, but the only one I'd choose to own if I have the dough is the Meridian 808. Now, THAT's the way to play a CD! Many years ago a friend lent me an old version of the 808, configured only as transport. I was quite shocked how good it sounded. Likely the best transport I have have heard (yes, they all sound different).

But what is more interesting than the equipment is how the reviewers listen to music. Here is the latest episode. These are seasoned reviewers and concert goers, and many read music. In the listening note they talk about timber, air and ambience. Audiophiles who want to get into classical music should read this on how to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment