16 May, 2022

Watt Emerson Tidal Qobus Graphite Subwoofer Hi vs Low


Click pics to enlarge. The Editor thinks this marvelous photo by the author is a perfect analogy for audio - even a small shift in vantage point yields a different vista .

Letter from Hong Kong (22-5): ELO's Eternal Hell/Heaven

Editor: ELO has been compulsively tweaking his system. Basically, his system is a very simple one, and the tweaks he has been doing, elaborate or not, are like ornaments. Some of these are rather divergent in narrative, so I have taken the editorial liberty of separating the copious material into 3 articles for better organization. This is the first.

Audiophiles are a nervous bunch. Sometimes I suspect my setup, though very decent, is perhaps a little more hifi than musical, and therefore constantly look for ways to improve, which was why I had been undergoing a series of tweaks with methodologies that are all over the map. Basic Equipment:

Wattson Emerson Analog --> iCon4 --> 47 Lab Gaincard --> Dynaudio Crafft/Audiophysics Subwoofer.

To try to improve on the musicality yet maintaining the essential bite or spark is a really hard balance to achieve and is creating havoc to me recently. Here is a list of the tweaks that I have been going through:

1) DIY Earthbox , two boxes (one for digital, one for analog)
2) Power Supply to my WEA - iFi Power+ vs Rayaudio Power Supply
3) Audio Signal Isolation Transformer from Rayaudio
4) Van Den Hul MC Silver IT/ Gotham GAC4/ 47 Lab cables/ Rayaudio's IC
5) Subwoofer connection high level/low level, endless debate
6) Graphite block
7) Tidal vs Qobus
8) Wattson Emerson Analog vs Madison (newly released top streamer/DAC)
9) Schumann Device

Even with my simple system, depending on the how and where in application of tweaks, there are an infinite number of permutations. Given that you need to repeat numerous times a set of songs which you like and are familiar with to fairly compare different setups, I really got hearing fatigue big time! How was the overall result then? My current setup yields some decent sound but I feel it's not the best yet so I cannot conclude 100%!

In this article, I'll try to express my findings on individual tweaks but pardon me for the lack of  assessment on the overall improvement. Maybe one day I would go back to original mode and see if I have missed out a lot by taking away all the tweaks. But man, as my listening time is limited every day I just want to sit down and listen to music, not analysing differences!

Old Chinese saying is true, "Additional incense burner adds another ghost": whether there is gain or loss, there's no guarantee and this is the pain and yet pleasure of this hobby...

From Top to Bottom: Schumann device, Earthbox for digital, and for non-digital

1) DIY Earth Boxes Redux
Please refer to my previous post - it does works. But recently, I spoke to another guy who is intrigued by Earthboxes. He bought many different Earthboxes of different materials and discovered that each has different characters (good/bad). The choice of earth wires, earth box material, earthing material used/quantities/mix ratio all play important roles. Sound even changes if you shake the box accidentally!!! Man I got to stop somewhere and draw the line!! Verdict - Yes of course!

Editor: I have followed in ELO's footsteps, and shall write it up later...I agree, very much worth trying!

2) Power Supply by Rayaudio
Ever since I purchased my WEA (Emerson) over a year ago, another upgrade that I have always had in mind was its power supply. I had been using the iFi+ power supply with satisfactory results but deep down I knew the sound can be further improved by implementing a proper power supply. Enter Rayaudio...(sic)

3) Audio Signal Isaolation Transformer by Rayaudio
Now this little gadget really impressed me at Ray's studio, so I took it home...(sic)

Editor: 2) and 3) are actually big topics with deep implications. Both deserve more detailed treatment, and ELO had written a lot on it. So it shall be another article, second of this series. I assure you it shall be worth the wait.

4) Van den Hul MC Silver IT
I came across a pair of VdH MC Silver IT, the first generation of the most famous IC from VdH, which was selling for more than 1500USD for a meter run at the time!!! An astronomical sum for a young lad freshly graduated from college!...(sic)

Editor: Indeed an "iconic" cable, which most self-respecting hifi elders have surely used. I am usurping ELO's perceptive observations, which will serve as a jumping platform for a very small Overview on VdH. This will be the third in this series.

:5) Subwoofer Input: Low Level (Line in) vs High Level (from amplifier's Speaker terminal)
I never bothered with using low level input as high level input was recommended by Steve Guttenberg and a few hifi buddies. However, Ray opined that line out without going through high level is more direct path. In fact, he prefers low level output directly from source if it is available. Kwong swore that there are immediate improvement in speed, clarity and detail of bass and urged me to try. Since I do not have sub out in my iCon4 , I opted to use a Y- RCA jack and hook up pre-in end of my Gaincard input from iCon4. Comparison was used between using my VDH MC Silver IT and my old Mogami i.c. Turns out VDH is a bit euphonic and sweet while Mogami added some attack and bite but took some moisture away. Still comparing, but immediately, I notice that the gain level will need to be turned down quite a bit to achieve the balance (still meddling with the settings). There is a difference, but initially I tend to prefer the ripeness and easiness of bass from high level. However, after prolonged listening, I found the low level in does have a better attack , timing and bass definition and I'm really satisfied with the change! Verdict: Low level in for now....LOL. And it's a case by case. While REL designer prefers high level, PS Audio prefers low level, same as icefox had told me. Will give a follow up later.

Editor: while the Sub Low Level In seems like a more "direct" path, the impedance change introduced by the additional load is not to be neglected - direct does not equate unchanged! Of course, since subs allow for both input methods, it is a no brainer to try both out. For most systems, High Level In has less connectivity issues.

6) Graphite Blocks
While I was suffering from the tweaking hell/heaven, Kwong handed me some graphite blocks (2" in diameter and 1" in thickness). I placed them under my 47 Gaincard and, all of a sudden, there was a huge improvement in details and microdynamics - without being too dry, harsh or cold. With the smoothness and musical character of Ray's PS, the whole system now seems to balance out better. Both addition seems to compliment each other and works in good marriage. I tried to put a few blocks under the PS. It further cleansed the background noise but the effects were slight. I have ordered some more to put under my speakers. Hopefully, not too much of a good thing. Verdict: Recommended! Provides a cleaner sound that has better separation and definition.

7) Tidal vs Qobus
Another heated debate! While most audiophiles will likely prefer Qobus, both are very good! Imaging on Qobus is definitely better but Tidal, where sound is slightly smeared in comparison, has more body and roundness. Due to the hassle of obtaining Qobus account (I needed to ask my relative for help in settng up an account in Australia), I slightly prefer Tidal with more body, less details but larger music collection. Verdict: Tidal for now but surely no clear winner, depends on your preference but you actually hear more details through Qobus.

8) Wattson Emserson Analog vs Madison
I only had the loaner for a week, but I really thank the distributor for passing it on to me. Regrettably I could not find sufficient time to fully access the real potential of Madison, given the ever changing tweaks happening concurrently during the comparison of the two devices. Suffice to say, Madison, right out of the box, in stock mode, was at least 30% improvement over my WEA with iFi+ Power supply! I may put out another post based on my limited time with this nice Streamer/DAC!

Madison goes for 3199 euros. It comes with a volume control built in;  Leedh processing and dual Cirus DAC chips to improve the sound; with balanced and RCA outputs; optical and digital in; headphone input; packing a lot of great features in box that is larger than WEA yet still compact. Whether it is your cup of tea will depend on what you are ultimately looking for. It is however, designed for as a one-for-all solution with highest quality and at an affordable price (still reasonable for what it has). With Leedh volume control, one may even abandon the preamp if one plays only digital sources. But the price difference is the main factor, as it is almost double that of the Emerson Analog. For me, the big question is whether I can take out my iCon4 as a solution and use solely Madison as preamp/dac/streamer? What are the pros and cons? No answer from me yet but for those who have other digital sources ready to connect to Madison and a pair of nice cans to listen to music, it will be a no brainer!! Verdict: Not out yet~😎

9) Schumann Generator Editor: Don't hold your breath. This is quite ephemeral but we are trying to assess the effect. It shall be a future joint article between ELO, Kwong and me.

Wrap Up
How is the overall sound compare to the original? This is a million dollar question for me and I simply DO NOT have a clear answer but I feel I hear more details and quieter background and now with the low level in to subwoofer using my Mogami interconnect which is known to have speed and attack, it has more immediacy and attack definitely! And most importantly, my body starts to rock and my feet is tapping involuntarily, that is a good sign!

As I had discussed with Kwong, a good system vs an average one is like the performance by a top vs mediocre background vocalist (I admit there are a lot of brilliant background vocalists; Whitney Houston used to be one). Another analogy is that you are driving a Porsche 911 at full speed and in a hair splitting moment come to a sudden and abrupt stop at the very edge of the cliff: your heart had leaped out of the car into the air while the body is still inside. Or would you prefer the sedan car gently and safely brake to a comfortable stop at 2 feet away from the edge of the cliff ?

Another analogy, it's like when you are listening to violin performance. You are being thrown into the mid air by a violin stroke but when you finally gather your senses, the violin stroke goes completely in the opposite direction, and then you start catching up, and then, without noticing, it goes again the opposite direction and that keeps repeating! If you rather prefer a constant velocity and gentle acceleration and deceleration, it is your choice! But I prefer to be swung in mid air and experience standing at the edge of a cliff !

Hope I am one small step closer to my ultimate goal to audio Nirvana!





No comments:

Post a Comment