28 September, 2022

AR LXT Cello Amati Infinity IRS III B and W Matrix 801

Click pics to enlarge. Top, Infinity IRS III. Icefox in center; our friend wosirsir, who has appeared in this blog many times, on the right. 

Letter from Hong Kong (22-9): Icefox sends Goodies

Addendum 9/30/22: One more pic of Cello brochure added

Our Honorary Consultant in HK, Icefox, graces my wechat with many photos and videos each day. I'd like to re-post everyone here, but it's not possible. Some systems (especially horns) are totally obscure and highly complicated that it'd be hard to report. So, a few periodically.

R, Humphrey's.

Cello Amati/AR LXT
Just a couple of posts ago, M Surdi mentioned, albeit in passing, his days with the AR-LXT. Well, you know what? This part of the post has been in the pipeline for a while, but it's a good time to bring it up! Our old friend Humphrey, whose complicated WE systems are legendary in HK, has been mentioned in this blog several times, but not formally written up by me (my fault). This article though contains a blip on him. Recently, apparently, he brought out the Amati/AR-LXT's and drove them with contemporaneous old Mark Levinson's to great effect, according to Icefox. I had actually listened to one Amati setup here in SZ many years ago, but it was not well executed, and I didn't report on it. Maybe time to seek out the fellow again. I also asked my NYC friend Andy, who went through all that in real time. He said he preferred the AR3 to LXT at the time. Well, it's not something I'm interested in, but I'd love to hear a well set up system of any of them. Also, if you are interested in the differences between the Amati and LXT please Google yourself.


Infinity IRS III
Long term readers would know my fondness for Infinity Line Source loudspeakers, and my many reports on the setups of my NYC friends (Andy's IRS Beta, Mark's IRS Beta, Kevin's RS-1B; there are quite a few more follow ups if you just search Infinity on this blog - top left). A significant thing to know is that all these friends are also horn users. If you think that's coincidence - it is not, because of all designs Horn and Line Source can best reproduce dynamics - read this article which cites Keith Howard's excellent work. This iteration sent by Icefox however is by far the most luxuriously partnered, what with Western Electric amp driving the treble and midrange, and Karan ss amp doing duties for the bass column. According to Icefox, the sound is Holy Moly!

B and W Matrix 801
One of my favorites (I still have the II in HK) and my NYC friend Kevin still has his III.  Most of the recordings for the boomer generation were likely monitored on these. Here's a nice setup with videos. You have no idea how much time it took me to load the 2 videos below! Enjoy!


Below, Cello Amati Brochure, Setup with Cello amps and amid collections that also feature Tannoys.


No comments:

Post a Comment