02 August, 2023

Out of Manchester

Letter from UK (23-2): Getting Out of Manchester

Written in NYC

Manchester Quagmire
My stay in the UK coincided with a string of strikes, which included Air Traffic Controllers. I was scheduled on a direct Aer Lingus flight on a Friday. I checked-in online on Thursday evening around 7:30 pm, relieved, thinking it would be alright. Just to be safe, I checked my email the next morning and found out the flight had been cancelled (just half an hour after I checked in the previous night!) I was already re-booked the next day on a British Airways indirect flight (via Heathrow). I kept re-checking my emails and, sure enough, even those flights were cancelled later in the day! I was again re-scheduled to another BA indirect flight on Sunday morning at 7:30 am. It was fortunate that I had a place to stay with my relatives and I almost relished my extra days in Chester as the weather was good, unlike those for most of my stay.

Even though I did not have check-in luggage, I could not do online check-in and had to get up at 4 am the next day. I was at the airport at 4:30 am, and the line at BA was already long. Check-in did not start till 5:30 am. I was alarmed that there was another BA Flight to Heathrow at 7:00 and the passengers in the line were mixed up. When I moved half way through the line, the BA staff announced they were boarding the earlier flight first, so those passengers scrambled up the line while the rest of us waited. Incompetent crowd control but I must give praise to the passengers, who were overall quite disciplined and restrained, despite a few inevitable incidences. They would have been a lot noisier were they Americans. Perhaps a bit of that famous British Endurance is still in the country's DNA.

When I finally made it to the counter, I was told that I needed the ticket re-issued by Aer Lingus. This particular agent was highly competent, shuffling herself between a long call with Aer Lingus and checking other passengers in. After twenty minutes of to-and-fro, Aer Lingus offered an indirect flight via Dublin in the early afternoon. I grudgingly accepted.

For this I had to move to another terminal. It was nearby and accessible by walking. A word here on this airport. It is INFAMOUS, and rightly dreaded by all locals. Long lines and chaos. It's also the only airport I have visited where the pick-up's and drop-off's are mandated to take place in a parking-lot-like building that charges a fee (I understand there are a few others in the UK). What makes it utterly unpalatable is that the area is a good walk away from the terminals - really inconvenient and inconsiderate! And then there are the Terminals. T1 is the oldest but the newest T3 is not much bigger, nor better. Given that Manchester is a growing city, it seems to be poor planning. Check-in was uneventful, as the flight was many hours later, but I had to wait an extra half hour before I could swap myself into Security Clearance with my ticket.

Security Clearance was poorly controlled too, also with long lines. It was pretty thorough though and I was asked to open my carry-on by a very pretty and courteous agent. I thought it was for my Vinyls (big opaque circle on X Ray) but, no, rather, the 2 cans of Anchioves (too cheap to resist at 50p each).

I was fortunate to have a lounge pass with me, so I could kill time in relative comfort. One lounge had a great choice of food but was crowded, the other much airier but with modest food offerings. My Covid sensibility made me choose the latter. I finally had breakfast. The scrambled egg was terrible and the bacon and sausage just so-so, but the croissants and ham and cheese saved the day. It was nice to have some juice and coffee. I befriended those around me. Two businessmen, one of whom had just gotten back into vinyl! Crazier were a senior citizen couple on their way to Israel, especially the man, who worked the room and got to know everyone. I don't blame him, one has to make an extra effort if one is wheelchair bound. I stayed for lunch. Only two hot dishes, a pasta and a curried vegan rice dish, which was what I had. I consider this yet another sign that the UK has been reverse-colonized (at least culinarily) by Indians (walking through the ready-to-eat section of any supermarket and you will know what I mean). I had some salad but what I liked most was actually the Leek and Potato Soup! A glass of Sauvignon Blanc rounded it out. I forgot my duress quickly enough.

The only Dublin I got to see was what I saw from the airplane. It's a city that I'd love to visit, especially as a beer drinker. Despite my experience, perhaps Aer Lingus would still be in my future. Just stay away from the Beef Bourguignon, which holds the dubious honor of being the saltiest dish I have tasted (not just on a plane).

Life in the UK
I love living in the UK. At least in the smaller town of Chester, and putting that dreadful Manchester airport aside. I could take nice walks. Even in the center of town, nature is not far away. The supermarkets offer more varieties than the US ones and prices (even after Brexit) are very reasonable. Restaurants are more expensive but still cheaper than NYC. There is always pub fare of course, reasonable and reliable. I love checking out the Thrift Shops periodically (I have been to every one of them). Most of all, the people are very friendly. Yes, I could live there!

Chester center. Gate and cathedral in background.
Downtown Liverpool
Classic Pub Fare in Liverpool. Interestingly, the great Irish Guinness is always among the cheapest beers. BUT not the cheapest, which is American Coors. I asked why the UK, with all its
great beers, would have that lousy US beer. Answer is, lowest cost and highest profit.
On the double decker to Liverpool
Canal Side in Chester
A Room with a View
Free coffee at the very nice Waitrose supermarket

No comments:

Post a Comment