01 August, 2023

Mobile Fidelity Studiodeck

Click pics to enlarge. Studiodeck with "Midas" Denon DL-103. Fosgate Reference Phono. Oliver Sayes 71A amp,

Alert! Mobile Fidelity Studiodeck on Sale!
Letter from NYC (23-2): Starter, or Main Course?


These days I don't often casually browse around the internet, my daily forays usually mostly limited to news, email checking and maintenance of this blog, in a word targeted and short. So I cannot even recall how I discovered this.

I had long been interested in MoFi's ventures into consumer audio, and I must say they have done it with style and substance. I purchased the Studiophono (contribution by Tim de Paravicini) and it is still competitive in its price class (here). At the time, I too wanted the Allen Perkins designed Studiodeck (or the Ultradeck) but refrained as I had too many TTs. BUT, now, with the substantial discount it proved impossible to resist. I opted for the deck without cartridge (USD 899) as I don't need the MM Studiotracker of the + version. Note that there is also an even cheaper "Foundation" version (USD 799), which does include the MM cartridge but is without the dust cover and HRX feet - well worth considering too.

I got it yesterday and of course immediately set it up. It deserves a lengthy report, which I shall write in due time. Suffice to say for now it compares favorably (and beyond) to my standard, the Technics SL-1200 Mk II, and that's no mean feat. I am writing this just to alert our readers.

Our author Shawn P told me that this was on sale too in Hong Kong (agent: Radar) for an even lower price, 5,800. Wow! Too bad the sales was over.

As a final note, unlike most lower priced offerings (and even some expensive ones) the arm is fully adjustable (VTA, Azimuth, etc). Because of its 10" effective length, unusual for a "starter" deck, it's necessarily a little larger in footprint than usual (19.5" by 14.25") and may not fit on some racks if you are not putting it on top.

If you are looking to upgrade, say, from your U-Turn, low end Pro-ject etc, this would be my choice. I'd pick it over Rega P3 (even P6) for example. In fact, money permits, this would serve the starter right off the bat too (perhaps with a Studiophono). For less money, my recommendation for starter deck remains Audio-Techica AT-PL120; for a little more money, perhaps the Technics SL-1500C. This is not just for newbies at all: you'd have to spend a LOT more to get better performance. If you are experienced and want a second deck with full features, consider this moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment