11 June, 2011

CD recommendation: Jazz and Pop







I have quite a few Shirley Horn albums, but this is is surely the most satisfying all around and with all the star guests a must-have. Pristine sound.

A wonderful late album of the great Lou Reed. Surprisingly full-bodied sound and a good wake-up call. Click to read the Christgau review.

While I enjoyed the danceable Franz Ferdinand (try the groovy Track 5), I find KT Tunstall even more to my liking, more naked, more direct, more classic rock. Click on pics for more info.

However, all is dust when I put on this Hendrix anthology, which starts with Purple Haze. Love that guitar!!!


This CD surprised me. Previously I had heard several Paul Motian albums that were in the classic ECM atmospheric manner. But this one, Lost in a Dream, has really beautiful saxophone playing by Chris Potter. I found out later it has been rave reviewed. Live from the Village Vanguard, and deservedly so.


Rhino's 6 CD set commemorating the 40th anniversary of Woodstock is simply fantastic. The live recordings are very realistic!






No comments:

Post a Comment