31 October, 2020

Naim SBL Golden Note AP7 Mk II

\

Click pics to enlarge.

Letter from Hong Kong (20-12): Eric L sets up shop

My search for a proper streamer is ongoing, but not very active, as I'm not in a hurry: my laptop and Sparkler S503 are doing a fantastic job!

Surfing Review33 used equipment column is my daily chore, just in case there's a decent Streamer selling at a well below market price. One day, I was surfing and trying my luck. Randomly, I browsed various categories and happened to check out the loudspeakers. There was a pair of NAIM SBL selling at a cheap price. It is a classic, well regarded during my LINN/NAIM days back in late 80s. It was next on my list after Linn Isobarik and before Sara! Without a wink, or maybe after a few winks, I grabbed it without deciding how I was going to deal with it! Man, what I really need is a streamer and how can I bring this home while I have my Dynaudio Crafft, which I am so content with?

An idea popped up in my mind! I can put it in my office! Did some measurements and realized it fits perfectly on one side of the wall!! It is an absolute snug fit! But would it be too showy? What the heck, it's staying in my office. OK, what about source? That did not cause me any concern since I have the oh so reliable Taobao K16 BT receiver. For Laptop, I have my Huawei P40 Pro and the company HP Laptop that I occasional bring to work (only when I need to ZOOM); it sees more time at my home, haha.

Well, I did need an amp. My goal was to find an extremely cheap Int Amp or even a NAP140 or 160 power amp directly driven with volume controlled by my P40 Pro phone. Initially, my friend volunteered to lend me his famous frying pan MF A1s to try and I happily obliged. But then I saw an int Amp from Gold Note AP7 Mk2 for cheap, at only $2k, I immediately grabbed it based on: 1) It fits my budget; 2) Rave review of its bigger brother from Darko; 3) Fancy, made in Italy; 4) Compact size.

Nowadays, due to COVID19, you cannot audition and have to press your luck. Well so far it pays off on various purchases.

I also have a pair of Gotham GAC1 and 47 OTO I.C. but 47 is so finicky that I had to revert back to GAC1. What about speaker wire?? Luckily my friend Kwong lent me his Audioplan to use, which is a very decent silver coated S.C.

Finally I was all set to go. Setup was a breeze as it's minimal. I fired it up on a Saturday afternoon to reasonable level (of coz my normal listening level during weekdays lunchtime or afterwork will be much lower). In a nutshell, it does pump out respectable mid bass which rolls off quickly as expected. But it's quite musical and with decent extension of high frequency.

I would say my main system is still superior , more polished, smoother, musical and better in digging into the essence of music, but as a second system, it has far exceeded my expectation for a budget of only 7000HKD!! The combo actually give me great pleasure and provide stress relief to my hectic job, with endless deadlines, one after another non-stop! I can stay in my room with door closed listening to favorite tunes and unlimited choice from Tidal!

Recently been digging songs from Van Morrison and a song from Chan 陳果 's 留下來坐坐! The male narrative part is so magnetic and without it the song is just mediocre and the trest of the CD remains middle of the road (I can focus on just that song)!

Jane Motis in concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TijmJAEgRtE

Fever by Musica Nuda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRN0JiEpOY

Caledonia Soul Music by Van Morrison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34zwWJ4bP4

7 comments:

  1. A very interesting purchase! In fact I wish to try the SBLs one day. Maybe also IBLs (less dynamic I guess). I remember noticing their unusual shape while shopping for Linn gear in 1990, the days of my 2nd system, when I was 19 years old and very naive... Those strange towers were looking at me, silent. I've never heard them play. Design is highly original two way / three boxes with exoskeleton on spiked feet. According to specs bass extension should reach 30Hz. I wonder at what level. But maybe it gets punch and rhythm section just right, or at least that's what I would expect. The great Van Morrison must sound lively on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought it purely due to the LINN/NAIM complex

      I don't think I will see the full potential at my office for the time being, but is offering very good sound given the limitation and for the price I have paid for it.

      Perhaps with a NAP140 Olive, I can do some justice to them.

      Delete
    2. There was something good for sure in the old Linn/Naim thing, and they were innovators, too... Olive amps were great - I had the Nait 2 in my 2nd system I mentioned and it sounded good. Regarding the NAP140... I don't want to give recommendation not based on actual (personal) experience, but... just to share a hint and nothing more... I heard some Naim fans say that the 180 is the best of that breed... maybe you could ask to Naim users you are in touch with and you trust. The good side of choosing brands with a very loyal fan base is you have a lot people to ask advice to. The bad side is such groups might become too cultish and hence less reliable.

      Delete
    3. Actually I don't advise at all driving an amp with the phone or laptop, not even for background music. Also, personally I think. as I espoused in my article on NAC-42, much of the Naim magic is in the preamp! Nait 2 is great!

      Delete
  2. I don't disagree with Dr. J's view, to get a simplified system as far as practical and right now I'm content with my Gold Note which is doing some little magic to my room in office!

    Used NAIT1 and NAP160 before and they were great units indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ E Lo, I am curious how the K16 differ from the H-10U that you previously mentioned? I suppose both of them are similar product from taobao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This I have no idea as I never A/B both together directly. Based on all listening experience, they don't differ by a lot as I suspect same chipset or circuit were used. K16 does have a remote plus card slot etc for playing music files, aka a mini server as well.
      Given the price, I will have no complain at all!

      Delete