20 October, 2020

Taking Leave

Editor's Announcement: Taking Leave

doctorjohn is leaving New York City tonight, to attend to family matters in Hong Kong and China.

Hong Kong: I shall arrive in HK on Oct 22. Since I am arriving from what is deemed a highly dangerous place (fair enough, for the US is precisely that, though NYC is better than most of the country), even a HK resident is not allowed to go home to quarantine. Instead, I shall be cooped up for 14 days in a tiny hotel room. Now, there is of course wifi, and all things Google are available in HK. There is no better time to write! I have several articles down the pipeline and it shall gradually appear in the next 2 weeks. I shall of course also report on my quarantine experience.

After quarantine, I shall return to my HK home and stay around for a few days to run necessary errands. Then I shall cross the border into China.

China: Now, since HK still has some cases, all HK residents have to be quarantined for 14 days in a designated hotel upon arrival. Another 2 weeks of non-life! Now, anything Google is NOT available in China, so I shall not be able to access my own blog! I am not sure how long I am going to be in China - it could be months. I could of course subscribe to a VPN service, like all expats do (hey, I am an expat myself), but we will see.

When I get to HK, I shall write a more detailed Announcement on arrangements.

Meanwhile, I have already made my colleague mrgoodsound an editor, so he will fill in the gaps when I cannot.

You will hear a lot from me in a few days. Just flying to HK consumes 16 hours of my life, and that is just flight time. So much for now.

9 comments:

  1. America's Post-Election Civil War Risk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was quick! Well, I am not sure myself, I have faith in the people, but some of my friends are not so certain! One is flying to Switzerland on Election Day - he does fear unsavory things.

      Delete
    2. you need to earn money (is there a tote?) - Trump will win ... this is already fashion and technology has been worked out - Egypt, Kazakhstan, Russia (also many small countries) ... They will simply announce to the population that everyone loves him and voted for him ( all 170%) ... and then completely zero the previous terms and try to be in power for life (the flag itself - the person in the role of the president - can change, but the forces that he represents and is always in the shadows - that's the real power)

      Delete
    3. what a surprise! if I had bet money, I would have lost. T - sucker, lost to old fart B ... of course he won't live long and Harris will steer - this woman will turn the United States into Zimbabwe (this is beneficial to the whole world - a unipolar world prevents other countries from developing)

      Delete
  2. Have a good and safe trip. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See if we can meet up in HK! BTW, if you buy data card from HK, you may be able to receive whatsapp or Google. if not, get a VPN~ many local Chinese do that too!

    Bon voyage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a nice trip. And good luck. I wish a healthy and safe time to you and your family. Incidentally I see entrance procedure is similar to Japan, where citizens coming from dangerous countries like Italy, are required to stay 14 days in quarantine upon arrival. For this reason my wife (who is Japanese) and children didn't go to Japan in the summer, this year for the first time. Let's stay as safe as possible, all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So disappointing to the grand parents and kids for sure! Previously we already had too many families separated by political mandates, but that's nothing compared with this covid thing. I have at least 2 friends who could not attend their parents' funerals. More reason to cherish what we have. Written in HK airport.

      Delete