18 January, 2021

Intro from Jaylat and Letter from So Cal

Thanks very much to doctorjohn for inviting me to write on this blog! I feel a great affinity to this blog, as in addition to sharing an interest in audio, my Chinese wife and I also lived for many years in NYC and Hong Kong. And of course we love Chinese food!

My music preferences are rather specific: Baroque Classical (Telemann, CPE Bach, Boccherini, etc.), and East Coast Bebop Jazz (Miles, Monk, etc.). Both genres combine musical improvisation with melodic creativity. I love hard rock and techno as well, but will usually only listen to them on earphones in deference to wife and neighbors. 

 

Despite having been into audio for decades, I’m a relatively recent convert to “high end” audio, having had only a “mid-fi” system for most of my listening career. My best components previously were the great Kirksaeter Monitor 100 speakers, which finally gave up the ghost after many years of listening. This provided an excuse to put together two systems in the last few years:

 

Office System: 

My journey started with the wonderful Harbeth P3ESR speakers. I was very pleased to see doctorjohn has recently gotten these, as they are to my ears some of the best speakers for near field listening available. They have a wonderful way with the human voice, with a rich sound that compliments most music, especially small jazz and classical ensembles. When working I might listen to this system 8+ hours a day. 

 

Sources include the Chromecast Audio, an Apple iMac, and recently a Rega Apollo CD player was added to the mix. The DAC is the great Sparkler Audio S504 “Unison” which I bought after reading doctorjohn’s glowing recommendations. All are driven by the very underappreciated Belles Aria Integrated, a solid-state amp which puts out 70 watts per channel. 

 

Living Room (Main System)

Have fallen in love with the P3ESRs, I was curious to try Harbeth’s larger 30.1 monitors. Continuing the journey down the slippery slope of high-end audio, these speakers needed a good amp. In an uncharacteristic splurge, I acquired the Luxman MQ-88 and CL-38 amp and preamp, two great tube components that look as good as they sound. Here the DAC is a much more hi-tech model, the RME ADI-2 from Germany. Music comes from a Bluesound Node 2i. (The Luxmans are temporarily swapped to my office system, as they provide an extra bit of heat in the winter)

 

I’ll go into more detail on the choices and how each system sounds in future updates, especially the two DACs. Suffice it to say I’m extremely pleased with both systems, which each have their unique virtues. Visual aesthetics are important too, as they both blend in with our modest collection of antique Chinese furniture. 

 

My Chinese wife and I are foodies, having developed very high standards after living in NYC, Beijing and Hong Kong for most of our lives. We now reside in Southern California, unfortunately too far away from LA to take advantage of the great scene there. Luckily, my wife is a great cook. Here’s a recent dinner of shrimp with garlic and hot peppers, with a colorful stir fry of asparagus and sweet peppers. 





My favorite CD (this week) is 52ndStreet by Ron Affif, who I frankly never heard of before. A great, full speed ahead jazz guitarist, with an amazing rhythm section. Very fun!

 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard Jay. Great pics.

    I am very curious about the Harbeth 30.1. As I have mentioned in past posts, some of old Harbeth's (as well as Spendor, Celestion etc) didn't do well with tube stuff, but it may be different now, as my experience with P3ESR attests. Your Luxman's are modern day tubes, so they are faster and more agile, and from your description a good match with the 30.1. Would like to hear more about that vs Belles etc...Also the RME, of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Harbeth 30.1 with older Prima Luna dialogue one (2x36w) and it works very well...much better than with some solid states that i try. I was use Primaluna with el34 and Kt77 and but not Nos tubes except in preamp section (12ax7) where i use Siemens 12ax7 and old EI 12au7 - this is what is inside now and so far is best combo for me - But i don't think this particular speaker is "heavy" load for tube amps because it don't fall under 6 ohms (5,7 to be exact from some magazine measuring)even there is "sweet spot" with listening and that is when volume knob is around 10° clock. I use them in two spaces (have some very specific situation in house) - one is smaller (4,5 x 3,5 meters) and other is bigger (6,5 x 4,5 meters) and of coarse they work better in bigger space but also very well in smaller space...But just for not like to carry around heavy Primaluna (30kg) i am think to use some lighter transistor amp when i am in smaller space...What is a bit strange i buy this pair of speakers from friend who was use them with Jadis orchestra and he was not happy but i suspect his room was problematic for Harbeth because it was a square (3,2x3,3 meters)...when i think again his room is problem for most of speakers and he could be better with P3ESR. When i try to move them around in room searching for position i notice they should be more away from side wall then my previous speaker (BW 805 matrix) and that reduce completely some bass "boom" that i have when i putt them on same position like matrix was.

      Delete
    2. Perceptive comments about positioning. Yes, very important, especially in less ideal spaces (like the square room mentioned).

      BTW, the Jadis Orchestra works much better as an AMP. Use a preamp and max out the volume (passive). Much better driving power and control.

      Delete