13 April, 2022

Montreal Audio Fest 2022 KLH

Read and Forward: Montreal Audio Fest 2022

For years, when I was in Hong Kong, I covered the local audio show. I wrote them up in this blog for the readers, but personally it was just for looking at the gears, not for sound. Most displays just sound awful and the music played lousy. But the Hong Kong Show was cheap to attend (around USD 10, and you get a CD for it). Hence, I was never interested in shelling out a lot of money to attend a show when I was back in the US (it would cost a lot more).

Neither do I actively follow show reports on the internet. But as a subscriber to the Stereophile Newsletter, I get fed some show reports (yes, even here I get them), and the latest one is on the Montreal Audio Fest 2022 (Stereophile, it is in reverse order, but that hardly matters). I like the way Stereophile does show reports, more pics and details than any other magazine (not that I find most of the stuff interesting). This latest one I find a good read, just as I did for the Capital Audio Show earlier. Boy, I'd love to be in Montreal again - together with Quebec, just stylish! And good food.

KLH The article that I found most interesting are the ones on the relaunched Model 5 and Model 3 (pic below from Stereophile). Please also note that the KLH 5 was formally revied by Ken Micallef earlier (here). Although I bought my first system when I was a student in 1973 and upgraded a few times (chronicled here), I didn't really become an audiophile until the start of the 90's. KLH, Advent and AR were around when I started out but they were too expensive for a student. Over the years of course I got to hear some vintage samples, and some were good and some bad. What I like about these modern versions is that KLH uses paper for woofer and midrange, a wise decision. I am curious how well they will sell. In recent years, big old fashioned boxes like these have not been in vogue, but with the vinyl renaissance in full swing, maybe the retro big boxes are once again fashionable (if you have the room). From the official website, the only regional dealer listed is in HK, which usually also serves China. I wonder if I can get to hear then in Shenzhen but I am not betting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment