07 April, 2023

Guangzhou Show III Rogers Amari Esti AAA Metaxas Sins Pureaudio Devialet Perlisten BMC

Click all Pics to Enlarge. Top, Wild looking Reel to Reel decks from Metaxas, and old name that I had long forgotten.

Guangzhou Hi End Show (AV Fair), Part III (of V)

Editor: 1) As the show was big, this shall be a multi-part effort2) If you first come to this page, I'd urge you to first read Part I for Basic Info.

Note: Since this is going to have many parts, I have given it a new tag, Show report - Guangzhou 2023. Click to view Part I, Part II IV, and V (this last one a very personal Overview, Summary and Postscript).

Some of the equipment have featured in the Shenzhen Audio Show that I reported on. This is relevant here: Although I did not do the China Hotel segment of this GZ show and missed some big rooms, many of the brands can be found in my coverage of the SZ show (e.g., Raido, CH Precision, Analog Source, Line Magnetic, Hanowa, Eizz, Pilium, Simaudio, Scansonic, rossofiorentino, Hegel, Gold Note, Franco Serblin, Prima Luna, Audes, Audio Analogue, Quested, Mymei, Ologe, Triangle, and more).

Coverage of the show follows no particular logic. As before, I’m going to grade the sound. Best is simply Bold Black, in a category by themselves. Others are shaded: Very good is GreenGood is Yellow; and Average is Red. Believe me, I'm very lenient! More so towards others than myself!

Opera Respond 锐榜 Opera Audio has been around for a long time. I know their Consonance tube products quite well. You can say I am NOT a fan. All of them lack rhythmic finesse and just sound plain boring. Smoothing the life out of music is what this company does best. Respond is a loudspeaker name new to me (BBC looks; sure, they also make a 3/5A clone). As expected, the sound was just average. I must say though that amp looks really cool.
Rogers Like what I said about Lowther in Part II coverage, never say die, or cat has nine lives! And so, after years of limbo, Rogers had been injected with a dose of adrenaline! What do you know, they enlisted Andy Whittle, who had worked extensively in the industry, for old Rogers as well as Audio Note (the AX2 that a reader recently brought up was his design) and many classic Rogers have been revived. Of course, the first was the LS3/5A (I still have original 15-ohm Chartwell and Audiomaster, as well as the undersung Chinese Beydas clone, etc). Late comer in a way, Rogers followed in the footsteps of Stirling, Graham, Falcon, even Chartwell etc (a small, almost incestuous circle who knew each other very, very well, with common denominator of BBC know-how and influence). This 15 ohm LS3/5A is similarly rigorously reproduced, with plywood cabinet and Autoformers in the crossovers etc (sign of seriousness, unlike many cheap Chinese versions, not counting my Beydas). Like Falcon, the "T27" is an Audax. The "B110" is an out-sourced unit with finishing touches in the UK, I was told by Andy. I have to apologize for the poor quality of the picture I took of Andy; he's an affable and handsome fellow - I thought I was chatting with Hugh Grant! Rogers has also revived the E20A, a late Rogers product (I think originally designed by the other of the 2 Andy's, Grove that is, and made by ANUK). Of course, updates have been made. Eons ago, in HK I bought the original amp very cheaply at clearance. It was not very powerful, but it was sweet and included a serviceable phono section (now an option). Also (at least in the original version) it did not work the tube hard, and even the fragile but sweet sounding and dirt cheap Chinese 6P3P worked well in it and was better than the stock Russian 6L6 tubes, which I have never liked (newer ones should be better). Now, how about bringing on the Cadet, which I still have (mine were III, both integrated and separates - if I remember correctly, the latter was sold to me by none other than the very nice Hayden Boardman)!

Man, memory lane! This is the first entry in my show coverage that has a second paragraph! What about the sound? Excellent! Now, notice the speakers were placed very close to the front wall, thereby reinforcing the bass. This is not what the usual Asian (Chinese) 35a afficionado would do (most use in room). The LS3/5A sat atop the matching subwoofer AB3 (cabinet also made of plywood), now active (in contrast to the original passive AB1). Driven by the mere 20 wpc of the E20, the sound was big and nice, yet sophisticated, better than the other clones I heard! I know many self-appointed LS3/5A purists still would refuse to use an active subwoofer, but that's their loss. Price? Quite expensive ("If you have to ask..."). If not pressed for time, I'd have asked to hear the LS5/9
 
Russell K Electrocompaniet Audio Synthesis I heard the EC. I remember AS as making small, cute amps (e.g., a red EL84 PP), but this one is large.
Pureaudio 柏韵音频 Fostex Mini Olympus Although "pure" has a supposedly sacred and spiritual connotation, I think most audiophiles prefer sinful pleasures! Not to be confused with Kiwi PureAudio, nor Chinese Puresound, the Chinese company makes Digital Products as well as Tube Amps (yes, that nice Ongaku-like amp is their own). They also sell Fostex Fullrange drivers so I presume that's what the lower box was. The fun thing was they also used the Japanese miniaturized Reproduction JBL Olympus on top of the Fullrange! The lovely (Stereo Sound Commission) reduction is limited edition. For those who can read Chinese, I have included the flyer at the bottom of this article.
Cayin Eggleston I don't know why so may use Eggleston (Line Magnetic Zhuhai too) but they are nothing special. Never heard any surprise with this brand (inefficient, clean but bland). In my humble opinion tube amps should not use Eggleston. The lower pic also shows Cayin's own bookshelves (inner pair, not heard).
Amari ESTI Blumenhofer Amari has been around for a long time. They are OEM for a few other brands. The TT I heard was the TechDas look-alike Blue one, with magnetic suspension. Around RMB 15,000, it is a ridiculous bargain and, were I to get into vinyl here, I'd have bought it on the spot! Scrutinize the top pic and see if you think the arm bears resemblance to nominally Taiwanese Zorin. The boss said they OEM arms for a company. He mentioned a Chinese name that eluded me (I'm good with English names, but not Chinese brand names). And I believe they OEM TTs for Hanns. Look at the all-encompassing range of TTs there! Oracle clone! LP12 look-alike! All VERY reasonably priced! The LP (available only if you buy a RMB 300 show VIP ticket) is shown because, unbelievably, it has a cut of Bruckner!!! Despsite analog, sound as a whole was OK but not special. Same with the Blumenhofer room in Part II.

If there's a first, there's bound to be a second, and so this is the second entry with an additional paragraph. Most interesting to me is Amari used Taiwanese ESTI Preamp (the company, also known as 38度C, has been around for a LONG time). For those who read Chinese, read this excellent portrait of ESTI boss, Dr. Tsai, an industry veteran 厚积薄发,匠心独具 ——蔡博士与ESTI音响的故事. More indictment of the current state of the industry can also be viewed in Taiwanese U-Audio, and I quote: "...據38度C表示,蔡博士感嘆目前Hi End精神淪喪,卻只有無恥的Hi-Price大行其道,因此經過長期的研發,運用新開發的低通濾波設計出Digital Station CD唱盤,他認為此機表現無敵,只要3萬多元的價格,可挑戰50萬元級同質進口產品,歡迎PK。有興趣的朋友,請洽38度C試聽..." I shall expound on this theme in my Postscript in Part V.
Soul Note Vienna Acoustics Well, bland, almost a red. I'm being kind. This is what I expect of current hi-end Japanese electronics, that even VA (a loudspeaker brand that I approve of; I had their wonderful Haydn Grand before) cannot rescue from themselves.
Falcon Lab Not to be confused with UK Falcon Acoustics, Japanese loudspeaker was on silent display during the SZ show. Driven by the so-called "Canadian" electronics, sound was OK but not special.
Advanced Audio Acoustics AAA 乐霸 This is a Taiwanese company that manufactures loudspeakers here. Said to be part of the Taiwanese James group (I think not related to the transformer manufacturer). They make 3/5A look-alikes (not really clones) that have received good Chinese press. The newest one is called 3/5A SE, distinguished by its back port!!!!! Heresy, right? Well, everyone wants a lower reach (Tecsun too). The top pic shows the SE version, which was what I heard first. I poked my head in on my return trip, and the larger SF look-alike 5/7 was playing. Generic electronics were playing. The various 3/5A's were priced very low, RMB 1800-2200, and business was brisk, and the lady was so busy that I could hardly talk to her. Given my personal interest in 3/5A clones I'd perhaps investigate more.
ELAC Musical Fidelity OK, no need to dwell on these brands commonly covered in Western press.
Cabasse and Retro Looking Cool Geneva . Silent Display. In the center, on a pedestal, are classic looking Swiss Geneva brand De-Con models, flanked by radios to the right. Not cheap.
Canton ASR I waited for the guy to finish his lecture (I hate those) and listened (the front ones; ceramic drives) for a while. OK, but in this cavernous space, battery powered ASR is not what I'd use, right? But it was OK. Canton is a really old brand. In HK Apliu St, you'd find models from way, way back. It's climbing its way back into the high end, with dubious success. 
Triangle ASR Trigon Average. With the high efficiency of Triangle, tube is better, 
Reproducer Analogue Rain Song 莱森 German Reproducer Active loudspeakers fronted by Chinese Analogue preamp (which imho pilfered the looks of an old Japanese Elekit product). TT was Chinese Rain Song.
Dingyin 鼎音 Line Magnetic Darth Vader like D'Appolito array. Average.
Kharma Orpheus Tech Das Wonder Labs Very expensive room. Phonoamp used was the Wonder Labs Audio. Designer William Tam, said to be famous HK designer (but not known to me), was there and I spoke briefly with him (he is credited with building up the Tidal loudspeaker, but I have no feeling for this brand, nor Kharma, nor Martens for that matter). I guess you have to give it to him, the Wonder Labs phonoamp is much cheaper than the other stuff.
Jiang Gong 江工 Baudio An interesting company. In the top pic, second from right, is engineer Jiang. I was shocked to see this Magnepan derived product. I asked him how it came about. He said, somehow, he repaired a pair of Maggies for a friend and fell in love with the sound. Man, a Herculean effort and certainly an idealist (declaration: I still own the Maggie 1.7). I admire that. Truth to tell, sound was too soft and I think power delivery was not quite enough. He also has a 3/5A clone that I did not get to hear. I intend to follow up with this fellow.
Eggleston VTL OK, but not as good as the HK classic combo of VTL/Rockport. I have no enthusiasm for Eggleston. 
Devialet Audio Physic Simple and very good. I've never been disappointed by both brands, solid performers.
Perlisten Canor Sikora This pair of Perlisten is smaller than that heard in SZ. Partnered by the same Czech Canor sound was better, no doubt because analog Polish Sikora was used.
Dynaudio ASR Acoustic Solid Again, if you ask me, mismatch. Sound was not bad, but you could get a lot more cheaper watts. Battery powered ASR is wasted on inefficient and impersonal Dynaudio. Despite analog playback.
Penaudio Atoll Hegel Decent.
DSDAC ATC OK, but no bananas. DSDAC is a Chinese company.
BMC Metaxas & Sins You have to pardon me. I forgot the name of this round horn loudspeakers (too many around). BMC is a brand that is always on my radar since their designer Carlos Candeias basically revolutionized the phonoamp world with his current-drive ultra-low impedance input AQVOX (which I own). The distributor also handles the Metaxas & Sins R2R in the top pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment