01 January, 2024

Happy New Year Goalbon Audio Grado SR80E


Click pics to enlarge. At Goalbon, I listened to the Zingali Bookshelves driven by the EL34 integrated amp (under the black Mimetism CDP on front rack). Flanking the Zingali's are Italian Casta Loudspeakers. Rear, EL34 monoblocks; in center top are the 2-chassis Preamp and besopke TT; beneath the latter phonoamp. Front, on the floor is a headphone amp sporting 2A3, 12AX7 and 5687.

Letter from Shenzhen (24-1): Happy New Year
A Visit to Goalbon Audio
Kudos Grado SR-80E

12/31, 4pm I started writing this on the last day of 2023. I was happily ensconced in my SZ home and was home alone! At 4 pm (remember we’re 12 hours ahead of EST USA), I opened a bottle of Bordeaux and started writing. Not even sure what to write when I picked up my pen (so to speak)! You can call this kinda train-of-thought, real-time writing, kinda in the manner of real-time filming, like in the Chantal Ackerman classic, Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (recently voted as best film ever here). Of course, that film took more planning than you can imagine! And it brought back my youth - I watched it in one of NYC’s then Revival Houses and, as I wrote I recalled certain scenes vividly. In case you don’t know yet, I’ve been a life-long film buff, my preference being closely observed dramas, no matter how small (which is why I have a predilection for European [including the UK], and esoteric films [from all continents], and disdain Hollywood). Perhaps, as an audiophile, I should call it Single-Ended (SE) drama, which shakes and moves only within a small but, to some, all-encompassing envelope. The world panders largely to those who watch Marvels and blockbusters; in audio terms, it’s like all those humongous and often wrongfully deployed and distasteful huge amplifiers (ss or tube) trying to blast us into submission with lousy inefficient loudspeakers (but audio is worse, usuallycompletely devoid of humor). Make no mistake, I can enjoy a Marvel film but I do know they are broad-stroke caricatures of life. The important question is, do you?

12/30 5 pm Perhaps the best way to capture some of the sentiments I feel is to recount the day before, Dec 30th. I was to attend a so-called New Year’s Concert in faraway Guangming, and Goalbon Audio 高班音响 headquarters (Official Website) sits sort of half-way, so I decided to pay them a visit. I had met them during the SZ Show earlier in the year, and even though I had notified them last-minute, they were accommodating.

The small showroom is very comfortable. The very charming Miss Gao, and the forthright Mr Ding put me at ease. A certain very nice Mr Chen was also there. I just listened to the Zingali bookshelf loudspeaker being driven by Goalbon’s “entry level” EL34 PP amp. Source was a French Mimetism CDP and sound was decent. In particular, Aaron Neville showed good detail, articulation and good bass texture.

We drank tea and time flew by. I then realized that I had to go, and scrambled towards my concert. As chronicled in my classical blog, I had some setbacks, but the transcendent performances of the Russian Orchestra made it all worthwhile.


12/31 9 pm Still typing away. All of a sudden, I discovered (via wechat) that the Chengdu Symphony Orchestra had a New Year Concert on line! I tuned in midway and it was Beethoven 9th, conducted by their director Chen Lin 音乐总监陈琳女士! I didn't even bother to have it on my regular system. Instead I plugged my trusty Grado SR-80E headphones into my iPhone 6. Yes, that old a phone, but sound was astonishingly good! I tell you, for people like me, that's all the headphone I need (I do have some high impedance cans like Sennheiser 600). The presence factor was just superb through the budget Grado. I also like chatting with friends on wechat while we watch the concert! Of course, with a drink too! It was marvelous! It made my evening!

1/1, 2024 6 pm Now I'm winding up this article. This I call as one of my best Year-End ever! In the coming year I shall revisit Goalbon to give a more detailed report.

Below New Year's Lunch at Friend's

No comments:

Post a Comment