08 June, 2024

Kinnie Sarone Bluetooth Antenna vs USB Lossless

Click pics to enlarge. Right shows U4 used as Preamp

Letter from Shenzhen (24-8): Listening Notes
Bluetooth vs USB

The recent arrival of Douk U4 and our experience with it here in China and in HK (review to come soon; this article is actually a Prologue) made me re-consider the topic of USB vs Bluetooth. My Streaming is very simple, and "primitive" to many of you digital-savvy souls. But many of the newer readers of this blog will be really surprised that I have dabbled in Digital Files for a long time. Like everyone else, I started with Lossless Files, even before 2008, the year of inception of this blog. In digital, a year is a lifetime!

My Computers and WiFi It should be mentioned that I had always been mainly a desktop user, and did not have a really good Laptop until 2012 when I got a Macbook Pro. In 2018, when we moved back to NYC, the Mac became my main device. A catastrophe in 2020 made me acquire a cheap HP (on which I type now) and a basic Chromebook (now unsupported, blah). The Laptops have always been run on WiFi, so no Ethernet for now. Also, the WiFi of China Mobile, our carrier, is notoriously bad, ad it is here in SZ.

My Lossless File Period Before Streaming there was Lossless File playback via the computer (or iPod etc). It has to be emphasized that for me, with an extensive CD and LP collection, it has always been a peripheral concern but, like many audiophiles, I tried to dabble in it. I used iTunes (for its good ergonomics) and ALAC (for its metadata ability). Did I rip my own CDs? Basically no. I have great CDPs that are more musical, but I did rip a few tracks for testing. What I ripped mainly were CDs borrowed from the library, or OOP ones borrowed from friends; up to the time we left for NYC in 2018 I had basically used up my Macbook's 1TB.

Milestones To name just a few (nostalgic?): Transports: Logitech Squeezebox 3, iPod, Wadia iTransport. USB DACs: HRT, Micromega MyDac, Meridian Explorer. You can find mentions of all of these in the blog if you search. Don't forget before this we laboriously made CD-R's and I still have stacks of them (not all playable now due to short lifespan).

BUT with my moving around and Streaming services, that period is long gone. With the Tidal, when WiFi permits I stream Max, but most of the time is is just HiFi (CD quality 16/44.1). That is enough. Is Tidal streamed my basic way as good as CD? I don't think so, but it's good enough.

My First Bluetooth Period. From 2018 to 2020 in NYC I just listened to my LPs (and CDs). In 2020, during the Peak of the Coronavirus Delta Pandemic, which was a time no New Yorker would ever forget (wonder where's Andrew Cuomo now?), I took up Streaming in earnest from my Laptop to DAC. As I sat too far away from the my HiFi Station to be tethered to a USB cable, I used Bluetooth for the first time and my first forays were chronicled in detail. The article detailed my humble gear and my feeling then of USB vs Bluetooth. Upon re-reading the article, I find much of the sentiments can still be used to express my current feelings a full four years later. For most of these four years, streaming via USB has been my main mode of listening.

My Recent USB Period Since I have come back to Shenzhen, I have used mainly USB. Here, through some iterations, my working desk has always been 90 degrees to various IKEA Kallax shelf, where I put my audio stuff. Everything at my fingertip. For almost 3 years, I have been connecting my cheap Laptops (run on WiFi) and streaming Tidal (previously NML) via USB directly to my no-name DAC, a TDA1305 bitstream one, and it has served me very well (before that the Meridian Explorer). In fact, I had rarely entertained the thought of buying another DAC.

What I have been thinking about is, after what I had heard in the 2023 SIAV SZ show, of a Streamer Transport or Bridge (I'd always prefer to use my own DACs; few current ones will likely past the muster of this man, analog at heart). What I'd choose for Streamer/Transport/Bridge would definitely be the compact Chinese ones I heard at the show, be it Matrix or Eversolo or even the Silent Angel I read about (all are making strides overseas) - but they are not exactly cheap. Plus the hassle of getting a Server. So, not necessarily for now. There are other significant ways to improve things (the UMI 1:1 is a great example). I tell you about this only to show I'm not entirely ignorant of current trends - whether or not it's as good as portrayed (experience tells me it is not so). In this blog though, ELO uses a Wattson Emerson Streamer (I like its compactness too; but it's expensive) and I think Shawn P is mulling on getting a Wiim Pro when the price is right. Me? I think I need to upgrade my computer first!

The Unique Hong Kong Experience of Bespoke Bluetooth Players One reason for the paucity in my circle (both NYC and HK) of Streaming equipment (NAS, Streaming Transport, Streamers and Network Bridge etc) is simple: these older and highly experienced fellows almost all are serious analog fans and most own more than one turntable and tons of vinyls and CDs. Under the influence of icefox, quite a few of those in HK, have gravitated to Bluetooth as a worthwhile adjunct, in particular through two highly tweaked limited production Bluetooth Players designed by local HiFi figures of good repute. I have heard these multiple times and they have put in excellent performances:

1) The more expensive Sarone (pronounced SAR 1, here and here), brainchild of "WE Yip 西电叶“, appeared first on the scene and made a huge splash. It is quite famous now and has been featured in local HiFi mags, appeared in shows, even sold by HK dealers.

2) But the cheaper Kinnie (here and here) has also quietly gained quite a bit of traction among icefox's extensive circle too! Previously a reader had asked me where to buy Kinnie stuff. He can be contacted on Facebook. Or you can contact him via Whatsapp (email me for telephone number). What I understand is the Player itself has sold out its limited run, but Kinnie is developing a second gen version with added functions. The powerful antenna though is still available.

The ideas behind both of these specialized players are similar: take the most minimal heart of BT chip/function, shun as much digital manipulation as possible and do the analog amplification well, which includes the use of much hard-to-source (and not cheap) bespoke and vintage components (including Western Electric stuff). There's a lot of proprietary R&D behind these things! This would be an approach that is completely different to common mass market offerings, no matter how touted. Remember too, BT has an analog heartbeat, and is only digital in limited stages!

My Current USB + BT Period Because I heard the wonder that the unbelievable Kinnie's antenna did for the Douk U4 (to be included in upcoming Douk U4 review), I actually got hold of a rather crude generic antenna for the U4 and it proved helpful (I am sure it's not quite on the level of the highly bespoke Kinnie, but it did also have positive effect on the finicky BT of Sound Burger). I just have to save up a bit more money to buy the Kinnie Antenna!...and maybe the Kinnie Player...and maybe Sarone...

As they are part of the reviews I'm conducting, I have actually been listening to quite a bit of BT lately, not only on the U4 but also on the closely related PJ Miaolai A7 amp (reviews to come soon). Currently, the BT is quite listenable but I think in my humble setups the USB is still a little better.

This is all a very recent development but I'm pretty certain I shall be listening to a lot more BT from now just for the convenience. In fact, the BT improvements and freedom from being tethered to an USB cable have allowed me to have two setups now simultaneously. More details later. Nice!


LOCAL CHEAP EATS

I can't begin to tell you how good this Roast Pork is, and
the Free Soup is Chock Full of Ingredients (18 RMB)
Wonderful Roast Chicken with Succulent Meat and Crispy Skin.
Delicious Soup and Pickled Radish, and Bottled Pepsi! (18+2 RMB)
Braised Fish with Spicy Brown Sauce (18 RMB)
Pork and Chives Dumpling with hard-to find real Hand-Made Dough (15 RMB),
topped with a small self-served Assorted Cold Dish (3 RMB).
Authentic Cantonese Style Wonton Noodle (13 RMB)
Wonderful Fujian Style Wonton, 2 Flavors (7 RMB)
Guangxi Buddy Ho Fun 老友粉 (15 RMB)
Vegetarian Buffet! (30 RMB)
Beef Brisket Noodle and Iced Milk Tea (34 RMB in more expensive Cha Chan Teng)

5 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 08, 2024

    Yummy 😋

    Sang

    ReplyDelete
  2. DJ, Can you help me source the Kinnie or Sarone with 120v AC power input? I am not sure how to contact these sellers from the west. I am very interested in getting into bespoke bluetooth playback

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook does not work?

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately there is an error, it says not all buyers can contact this seller

      Delete
    3. I'm contacting him. I've his phone and if you have whatsapp you can reach him too. I'm asking for his email. I'll email you when I have all the info.

      Delete