01 February, 2024

Sarone Bluetooth Player Canterbury HE EAR 509 Rey Audio

Click pics to enlarge. Right, book spotted at WSS. In English it would be Money cannot buy thoughts. I just reserved a copy from the HK Public Library, where it is still freely available (not sure for how long). Surprisingly, the Shenzhen Library has a lone reference copy not available for borrowing (but can be read in house).

Letter from Hong Kong (24-3): The Longest Days, Part I
What goes around comes around?

Written in Shenzhen

Part II. Jan 29th, Part I, at Taimonsing's, RCA vintage
Part III, Jan 29th, Part II, chez moi, SET amps

All of a sudden, I had a few days to myself. I contacted the resourceful icefox (aka my taskmaster) and he arranged a couple of day's worth of events (many thanks). This starts the chronicle.

January 28th, Chaiwan 
I arrived in Yuen Long around mid-morning and ran some errands. I returned some old HiFi News and, as I had some spare time, sat and read the January issue of the HiFi News from cover to cover. Really enjoyed the thorough review (not yet online) of the newly re-issued Musical Fidelity A1, which our Ray Salamat had reported on (here). It's also one of my favorite integrated amps (here).

icefox was so thoughtful as to have arranged a ride to faraway Chaiwan. So I met them at Tsuen Wan West MTR at 1 pm. The driver was Taimonsing, whom I had met once 20 years ago. He's a fascinating character, and you shall hear a lot more about him in Part II of this series.
Tannoy Canterbuy driven by EAR 509 monoblocks. ANUK Jinro and MC2 not heard. 

Tannoy Canterbury HE, EAR 509, Sarone Bluetooth Player
First we hit the den of WSS, surely familiar to many regular readers (should you want to read more about his older setups, just search WSS). Preamp was ANUK M8.

Story: When I left HK for NYC in 2018, we moved my Canterbury HE to my friend trazom's place. I had much earlier sold the Spendor SP-100 to him and he still enjoys it. During my stay in NYC, WSS moved to his current den, which is much larger than his old one that I had reported on several times. The Tannoy then went to him. I had actually visited him in this den towards the end of 2020, just before I went to China.

On this occasion, finally I got to hear the fabled Sarone Bluetooth Player, designed by WE guru Yip 西電葉. Basically, supposedly it cuts down functions performed by the Bluetooth chip to the minimum and the output circuit had been greatly tweaked, with many WE parts used. It is not cheap but many Golden Ears (like our own icefox) swear by it. Many have foregone CAS and CDPs in favor of it. Believe it or not! For my whole stay, source was icefox's iPhone playing Tidal Lossless. I must say its performance was excellent, and none of us missed the ANUK digitals. Incidentally, our own ELO had reported his experience at a Mongkok shop (here)!

Sound was very good indeed. Much better than in 2020, when it sounded a little overdamped (dead). Credit must also go to the EAR 509 monoblocks, which I had also sold to him. Incidentally, at my old place, it had sounded very good with the Tannoy's. My friend Thomas (moniker tubediyer) always said that was the best he had hear my Tannoy's. WSS had it serviced and it put out a flawless performance, tube neutrality at its best. It's fitting that trazom was also present to hear these gear at a larger place than his.
Rey Audio Loudspeakers. In front of the Left speaker is a Thomas Mayer Phonostage. Center left is the Connoisseur Phonoamp (I think Lyra). On the 2 stands in front is the 4-piece JC Verdier Phonoamp. Crazy!
On its own stand the Thomas Mayer Compactron Phono.

Rey Audio, Turntable and Phonoamp Galore!
Then we hit on old friend wher (moniker wadia). Read about my 2009 visit (his old place, where he now lives), which also tells you something about Chaiwan the locale for audio. This new place is actually a little smaller but has golden ratio, and it surely sounds better!

I won't try to list the 13 or 14 TTs, many with two arms, nor the plethora of phonoamps (you name it, it's there). Preamp was an old Studer Mixing Console. Otherwise it's FM Acoustics Electronic Crossover to Klein and Hummel amp and old FM professional amp.

wher was generous with his 威水, aka Scotch. Thanks man! I stayed for a long time. I was very glad that I met again Lawrence (moniker mda) who had actually sold me the EAR 509. Small world, huh? He's one of the many HK emigrants of recent times, who now lives in Nottingham.

Just because I was enjoying wher's whisky so much, I missed one of the scheduled stops, but I have some pics here:
Winston's R2R and Pro Stuff (Grundig Loudspeakers)

Then we all went to a delicious dinner. I just post the menu here, but pics shall appear in another article. Many thanks again to icefox for arranging things!
Enjoying HiFi News report on A1
Sarone at bottom of middle rack. Roksan TT and digitals not heard.
One channel of the JV Verdier Phonoamp, PS below.
Connoisseur Phono
Thomas Mayer Phono
Studer Mixing Console
The very rare Fi Phono amp
icefox refers to this kind of food as 麻甩佬 food
Winston's R2R

6 comments:

  1. Hi Doc, a little late for that but all my best for you and yours in 2024 from these shores ! Thanks for this amazing saga and discoveries... When one thinks he has seen it all... Right on the topic, whats your take on monoblocks RCA LMI - 32216A ?
    I have an opportunity for a professionally serviced pair . Thanks for your feedback , Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late and I shall contact my friend for his opinion. The high powered KT66 amps are very different animals from the lower powered stuff we talked about (except for the 805). There are many worthwhile KT66 amps, starting with the lowest powered Quad 2 to Heath W5M, and the RCA and Radiocraftsman. Many of them. It's hard to make a categorical statement. What are your preamp and loudspeakers now?

      Delete
    2. Haha, my friend replied much more expediently that I expected! This is what he said: This is a UK RCA, and it's roughly equivalent to brands like Beam Echo, Radford etc . These are pretty good amps for things like the LS3/5A, but we think they are not the last words in everything. So it depends on where you are in your trajectory and your expectations.

      Delete
    3. Hi and thanks to you and your friends for your fast answers. Well, always been a fan of Quad IIs, had a few pairs along my way but finally never held on to them, sold for supposed more xciting gear. They actually played beautifully on my A5 Vott (Altec 416-8B, JBL2440/pavillon Arai250, JBL2404H + custom x-overs by Werner Yagush.) Due to their absence of feedback, they played much better than Mc/Westrex A116 that i thought would be abfab. I now run the Vott with a pair of modded (by Haden Boardman) Heathkit EL84 monoblocks, my very first pair of tube amps 20 years ago ! and i'm actually very happy with that. My office system is EAR acute 2+ Wright sound company WPA 3.5 2A3 monoblocks, on 1958 Tannoy Canterbury corners (LSU/HF12L). about the RCA, It's more about the opportunity of quite rare amps so your kind answers let me think i could be happy without them. Have a great weekend, phil

      Delete
    4. Wow, what a list! Nice stuff! I think at your level and with your loudspeakers you should stay with low powered amps. I always think if one is not a rocker low powered (like your EL84) amps sound better.

      Delete
    5. Thanks Doc. Well, the 2A3 sound pretty good on the Tannoy, indeed; Keep on grovin'

      Delete