25 February, 2024

Micromega Solo Duo 3.1 Pro

Click pics to enlarge. Right, in Station B, from Top: Micromega Duo CD3 Transport; Solo CDP; Philips CD771, Duo Pro DAC.

Letter from Hong Kong (24-9): More...More Days

Written in Shenzhen


In previous episodes I have used a variety of CDPs, mainly the usable ones without hiccups! I did try to operate my two best Micromega's, the Solo and Duo, but I had difficulties. Not surprisingly, since it had been ages since I had used them. After repeated attempts I was met with partial success.

More Micromega Overview In researching this article, I was really surprised that Micromega Offical Website now suddenly has some brief capsules on a few of its legacy products! Unfortunately, there are some glaring and inexcusable errors (see captions to bottom pics). Since one can never trust these sites for posting them forever, I took some screenshots of the more interesting ones and include them at the bottom with comments. But, if you are interested in more, I'd urge you to also read my own Overview (one of my best) as well as the Hungarian site linked above. For the latter, use a translator - I assure you it'll be worth your while. It even includes a page on the super rare pre-Micromega LEEDH. In the early 90's you can occasionally see some of the LEEDHs in HK second hand shops. Not now.

The earliest LEEDH and Micromega's (like the small Duo DAC) were still 16-bit. Our Hungarian friend did not seem too enthusiastic about this era, but I have heard people say the 16-bit stuff were good and I tend to believe them as I once had a Micromega modified Philips 16-bit CDP (I don't remember the name, but I don't think it's the 3 mentioned in the website) that sounded very good to me. Nonetheless, Micromega really shone in the Bitstream era. The Solo, Duo and Trio represent Micromega's best efforts and the company's most resplendent period. If we count the period before this (model CDF1) some of these were in production for around a decade, about the lifespan of Bitstream. The Solo evolved from the slanted front to non-slanted (just like Duo). The Duo first had a smaller matching DAC, then came the matched size, stackable Duo Pro (like Trio minus one). Earlier Duo Transports, indeed all Micromega transports, also had the mechanism towards the left, not centered like mine. The Trio had always been similar cosmetically. All three lines evolved as Philips evolved with their Laser Heads, so one will find all kinds of lasers, from CDM3 (as in my Solo) to CDM9/9Pro (as in my Duo CD3).

I'm sure these machines underwent revisions from time to time, but they were all good. Later ones had the ACCUTRANS electronics, but I'm not sure what that is (perhaps something to do with jitter reduction, as Micromega was a pioneer in this, starting with the Trio). Finally, a word on the Weight/Puck. There have been several types, The somewhat flexible round disc for my Solo is made from what looks like plasticized Kevlar (no doubt for its damping properties). The one for my Duo is acrylic. There had also been a Mark Levinson Clamp (ML and Micromega were in business early on). 

Solo Mine is an earlier version with slanted front, likely an H. It sports a CDM3 swing arm. I was able to operate it some months ago but then the next time it wouldn't even turn on (no display). The next time I had it powered on for quite a while and the display came back on eventually. And then it would not read and spun awkwardly. I then noticed that the disc had almost no clearance from the chassis, maybe even scratching - I think the suspension has aged but I have yet to open it up to see what could be done. What I did was using my fingers to slightly wiggle (a little pulling too) the center of the mechanism, and it worked! As for now I've played many discs without any issues.

Sound? Just great. This is in Station B with the Ruark Crusader II. In comparison to the Philips AK601 (and CD771 when it works), sound is significantly more refined and smoother. In the past, sometimes in comparison with other gear I'd find the Solo a little too ripe, but not really with my SET amps in this station now. It also throws a gratifyingly huge soundstage, much deeper than the cheap Philips players, is astonishingly well layered and has first-rate image specificity. And of course, with Micromega, sound is always very musical, with good rhythm and pace...

Then...an event...read on...

Pic lifted from the Chinese internet. Note the high grade parts of the Duo Pro, including WBT RCA connectors.

Duo CD3 + Duo Pro There had been many generations of the Duo Transport. Some interesting aspects of the design can be found in the manual (Duo CD3.1 Manual). This "cheaper" CD3 sports a CDM9. It came back to life relatively quickly and plays discs perfectly. However, not so the Duo Pro DAC. Even before, it'd only work sometimes. Part of it is for sure contact problem. The front display are sometimes messed up. E.g., pressing the Phase Reversal would mess up the Bit Rate indicators (blinking 44.1, 48 etc) and issue forth some digital noise. Usually the DAC would indicate the correct 44.1 and locked status but no music would pour forth.

I did succeed in getting music through one time! And it was swell. The Duo is more detailed than the Solo and tonally a little less rich, though just as musical.  Right now the DAC refuses to make sound. Maybe I shall open it up and do some cleaning. Or maybe next round I shall revive my Duo BS, the smaller, cheaper and less detailed DAC (if I can find it). I'm thinking of reviving my Micro series products too.

With the Solo, there is a fascinating turn that involves other gear...but it'll be in a following article...

From the CDF1 on, Micromega had maintained the same (robust) chassis. In the center, the first separate chassis DAC is 16-bit and is rarely seen now and coveted more than the later Duo BS. However, most have been heavily modified.
A ridiculous error by the current Micromega team. The CONCEPT series look completely different
The error continues to this L capsule. The Minium can be dismissed.

I have all 3 of these My components!
as well as the MyAmp and CD-10

5 comments:

  1. Micromega was really a very special French company producing some very musical pieces. I wonder if their CD drive are still reliable if I were to get a second hand unit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The risk is always there. The older Philips CDMs likely will work fine if tested fine. The Stage series CDM12 much riskier. And the even newer ones (Sony and Sanyo) also have hiccups.

      Delete
  2. As always, I also own some of what you have, but you take it to the extreme! I just have a MM Duo BS which I love; always so musical-sounding, if too forgiving, at times. I have it on 24/7 hooked up to a Rega Io driving KEF Reference 102 (with Kube 102). That system never gets touched. I wanted to get the transport with the Perspex lid before but reliability issues kept me away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say that the Duo/io/102/Kube is the TV system, on all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two definitely has aroused my interest in acquiring some vintage MM.
      I still remember vividly one of the best sound system that I had heard consisting the MM Trio, Ensemble amp combo and their Pa1 Reference playing CD produced by TBM!
      Intoxicating!

      Delete