27 February, 2024

RCA PB23 Sun Radio CR10 Sony CDP CDS 3000 Sound Sales

Click pics to enlarge. Kites hovering above a Shenzhen Park 莲花山公园. A fine fine day, just like my time at Taimonsing!

Letter from Hong Kong (24-10): DHT PP Amps Parade!

Written in Shenzhen

Last Friday, before I attended an alumni dinner, I re-visited Taimonsing, our RCA guru (first visit here). It was an even more astonishing experience, with the singular theme of DHT PP amps only!

L, from top, Douk E6 (not used), Music First TVC (only selector used), Chinese 天晓 TDA 1540 DAC, Sony DVD as Transport; R, Sony CDP-3000/CDS-3000.

This time the setups were simpler. We only listened to the large PG105 Horn System (see link above). The 3 DHT PP amps all had their own preamp gain stage and so only their own volume knobs were used. No preamp added. We heard the 2 CD sources pictured above, both routed through the selector of the Music First TVC (transformer bypassed).

The custom 天晓 DAC uses 2x TDA-1540, and is very well specified. As Taimonsing mentioned, its sound is more modern, certainly more than my Magnavox or even my Revox 225. In fact, it did not seem to have too much of the flavor that I associate with this chip. The built is excellent, fully worth its humble price of RMB 2k. Then came the venerable and iconic Sony CDP/CDS 3000, an early 16-bit of Sony's own design, contemporaneous with the even more iconic Philips LHH-2000 (but much lower in second-hand price). I have always been a fan of early Sony CDPs and I love this machine, its industrial design and crisp sound all appeal to me. The Control Unit can support 2 players. For more info, read this Fabulous French Site.


Sun Radio CR-10 6B4 PP amp First up was this little known amp (above pic). All Peerless transformers!

The Double Plated Octal based Direct-Heated 6B4G is an interesting tube. Basically, its a 6A3 with a different base, and can be viewed as a double plate 2A3 with 6V Filament. It's also said to be the American answer to the PX4. Considering its pedigree, compared to the 2A3 it's a very cheap tube, undervalued.

Sound was very good, highly organic, with little to fault. Last visit we heard the RCA 2A3 PP (sporting single plates) and I think that has a little more sheen (as single plate should vs double plate), but partnering stuff was very different. DIY lore has it that 6B4G is not as good as 2A3 but judging from what I heard that seems like, well, just lore...A highly worthwhile amp!

Click to enlarge. R: the astonishing RCA PB-23 45 PP Amp.

RCA PB-23 45 PP Booster Amp

My Oh My!!!!! Holy Molly!

This belongs in an Industrial Building, as it'll never get pass your wife! Any wife or, for that matter, any sane man. But this beast of beasts is a beauty among beauties! Very early vintage, and extremely rare.

This is a 45 PP amp, with 80 as rectifier. In front is a 56 tube. As readers know, 45 is one of my fav tubes (here all precious globes). The globe 80 is not cheap either. Mind you, 80 is evolved from the venerable WE 274A and is a fabulous rectifier. As I write, I'm listening to a later humble ST (but engraved) Tungsol 80 on my humble BRZ-50 amp, and it's still lovely!

Sound of this beast? Out of this world! The live quality is just astonishing. As with the best (and rare) gear, one feels the dialogue between musicians - it's like tossing musical phrases back and forth. One saying is one is kept at the edge of the seat - yes, here for sure. I also say the best stuff makes you anticipate what comes next 有期代感 - yes, here for sure. Also, as in WE gear or tubes, there's a scintillating quality 撩撩吓. There's another more common and much smaller RCA 45 PP (the Model 245) which I've heard, but it's not in the same league as this beast.

This RCA amp is actually a Booster Amp for the RCA 845 PP amp (still in restoration)!!!!! Wow! This is like WE Booster amp for 212. But, somehow, I think this amp will stand tall and the 845 may fall short. To this date, with my preferences and a highly efficient horn system, I cannot say that I've heard a high-powered DHT transmission tube beat a flea powered DHT tube. I'm a firm believer that the lower the power the better. There's a good reason why the Japanese rate the 0.5/1.5 watt (SE/PP) WE205D as their Dream Tube 梦幻之球 (yes, I've heard it in our friend Eric's WE46). And I'm a fan too of the much more humble 0.7 watt (SE) 71A! But, unlike many others, I actually like to be proven wrong, at least in audio!

Sound Sales 12/14 I was really impressed with this PX4 PP last time. This time, the setup may have been different and, perhaps, the aforementioned RCA PB23 was just so much to my taste that it seemed to have paled a little. Yes, the marvelous rhythm was still there, but I missed the sheer fleshiness, nigh, carnality, of the RCA. Perhaps, like the host says, it's a case of 虾饺 vs 烧卖, in English Apples vs Oranges. But...I'm a carnal person...

Turntable Galore As if all that was not enough, the host showcased his TT's behind the horns. Unlike last time's parade of 16" Transcription TT's, these were all classic home use legends. Details are shown in the pics below. For sound, let me say, for classical replay, this time it's even more to my taste. The Shostakovich 13th (Haitink, Decca) was totally spread out and marvelous!

Thoughts
  • I cannot isolate the amp from the marvelous horn system, so in a way I can best compare whole systems. These are insanely intricate systems. For me, this visit's ostensibly simpler system sounds even better than last time's more vintage-oriented preamp-amp oriented systems. This place is a treasure trove! Every time shall be a different finding, I'm sure...
  • RCA PB-23 45 PP Amp I rate this amp as one of the best DHT PP amps I've heard. And that includes the formidable WE46 (205D, our friend Eric's system here), WE86 (300B) I heard at 白马王子 and Humphrey's place, etc...and, including my Brooks 2A3 PP, and my favorite WE133, PP 349A (an exception to my world view, as it's a tetrode) .In fact, in terms of the rare titillating quality 撩撩吓, I rate it among the very top! I somehow think it surpasses the WE's. But, let's not forget, this is with the RCA horns!
  • Sun Radio CR10 6B4 PP This is a very even-tempered amp. Somehow, its qualities are enduring. This time, I'd rate it as even better than the UK Sound Sales! This is likely the best bargain entry to the DHT PP world!
  • Resisong 1:1 Transformer You may have noticed its presence in may pics here. Yes, we tested it here, extensively (to great effect), but the report shall appear in the next post.
El-cheapo Chinese Selector Switchboard and
 Chinese replica EAR 88PB (834P not used)
Thorens TD124 Mk I SMG 212 Koetsu Black
Lenco L75 Slate Plinth Decca International Mk 5, and
Thomas Schick Supex AS-900
Sound Sales 12/14

No comments:

Post a Comment