17 December, 2020

Pro-ject RPM 1.3 Audio-Technica CN-5625 Musical Fidelity A1s Sony Discman

Click pics to enlarge.
 
Letter from Hong Kong (17): Eric L on his Latest Office Setup

Since last reported, my office setup has undergone some major upgrade; only the Naim SBL remains (and is still a keeper). My friend Dr. Lo lent me his MF A1s (modded) [Ed: see Footnote 1] and it replaced my Gold Note Amp (which is still a nice little amp). The MF has a richness, and layered bass, which serve up a very cushioned foundation - rare qualities at this price point.

While I'm still using the Taobao Bluetooth H-10U, I need to thank doctorjohn (DJ) for providing me with the Pro-ject RPM 1.3 Turntable [Ed: see Footnote 2]. Initially, I was half serious on going back to analog (I sold my Linn LP12 eons ago), but I asked him for advice on a cheap one with decent sound. He immediately said he's got a perfect one for me! I also asked my friend Dr. Lo to lend me a phono unit made by Ray, the same nice guy who fixed the Antique W.E. Amp (refer to my previous Blog post). The phono will be compared against the MF's.

With the help of Kwong, who picked up the TT from DJ in Yuen Long, it was delivered to my office in Kwun Tong, Kudos~ Having said that, I still haven't met up with DJ in person despite having chatted numerous times over the phone, LOL!!

I hooked up the TT immediately to the phono input of MF. There was an annoying loud hum coming out of the left channel. After much time debugging, the culprit turned out to be the female RCA output socket. After a quick fix, the party began. According to DJ, the cheapo Audio-Technica CN-5625 conical cartridge really shines with this TT, much more so than the much more expensive Clearaudio Concept MM he had tried out before [Ed: see Footnote 3]. DJ gave me a box of old LPs and I played a few of them to see if they are still in playing condition. Al Stewart's Year of the Cat and Santa Esmeralda's Please don't let me be misunderstood played superbly: great bass sounding analog, with good enough clarity in the highs and fleshy midrange!! Rimsky's Scheherazade was also a surprise treat, with enough suspense to keep me interested. Pet Shop Boys (another fav of mine in my younger days) What have I Done to Deserve It also played with rhythm and beat! However, Some nice LPs like Roberta Black 's, were too dirty to play; shame... But I was already very happy! Is it the best sound I have had? Perhaps not, but it was very listenable and, most importantly, it alleviated the analog complex I had been harboring over the years! [Ed: see Footnote 4]

Also tried to hook up to a Sony Discman with satisfactory result and will look for a proper CD setup in the future, but no hurry. Perhaps would visit shop to buy a few new LP and an LP cleaner kit!

Though not often in my office these days, I am happy to spend even limited time to reminisce on my good ole analog days!

Eventually bought a huge bottle of record cleaner liquid from Mobile Fidelity and a brush, waiting for spare time to do a major cleaning! 

I also bought a brand new LP by Master, Audiophile Female Voice which includes Kari Bremmes, Chie Ayado, Radka Toneff and Inger Marie!!! And the sound coming out was clean and crisp with a lot of clarify and musical!! The system really shines and I'm more than satisfied with it! 

 ***

Footnotes: [1] The original MF A1 was designed by Tim de Paravicini, who I just learned had just passed away due to cancer. Perhaps I shall write a RIP. The A1's many derivatives sound quite similar and are great products, top in my books (treated in detail here, incidentally one of the most-read articles of this blog). BTW, its phono is excellent, as one shall expect (I wager Ray'sDIY  phonoamp won't outclass it entirely); [2] This cheap (cheaper in HK than in the West) turntable had been reviewed previously here. The reason I got it was (a) to see how far a cheap TT can go and (b) its fundamental design is very sound - outboard motor and a tonearm whose comprehensive adjustability even shames many much higher priced TTs. The chassis resembles a boomerang to some but Mickey Mouse to me, so I call it the MM TT. After setting it up for Eric, I listened to a few LPs and could not stop. Sound was pretty good, and involving; [3] When I moved in 2018, I packed it into its original box. This time I opened it and found the stylus of the Clearaudio Concept MM (a modified AT-95) was trashed. Just as well, as it was not at all a good sounding cartridge at all. It was carried over from my Clearaudio Concept turntable. As I don't have too many cartridges here, I installed the AT CN5625, a workhorse conical cartridge. I believe conical cartridges to be especially suitable for pop rock. Surely, it sounded much better than the Concept MM (from memory); [4] many years ago, long before the resurgence of vinyl, I used to roam HK's Apliu Street for used LPs. Jazz, even classical, were not cheap, but pop records begged for customers (then only audio people would use vinyl). I often bought pop records for HKD 10 (like the dollar records in the US). Some, like Beck, would command a lot more in western markets. Apliu Street  records often were quite dirty and years of storage in humid HK means they grow moldy. A lot of washing ahead for Eric!





 

5 comments:

  1. Nice pictures and very useful information here. I didn't know the Clearaudio Concept is a modified Audio Technica AT-95. It's interesting that the Concept is so well received and regarded as a leader in its category. Maybe there's a great potential for upgrading just by upgrading the cart.
    Congrats to Eric L. for the many developments. This office setup is an audio journey in itself. This is also something audiophile circles don't take sufficiently into account: the importance of the environment, I think if we want to reconcile audio and life, the system should be site specific, thought and assembled for the room and not the other way round. I call this principle the primacy of architecture, and I think it is overlooked too frequently.
    And I can't imagine how can one not like the RPM1.3. Simple and round in all its parts, it is a beauty, at least in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look carefully at the photo of Ray's workshop, behind the WEs, in the middle is a Ferrari Red RPM 1.3, striking! Of course, that one has been modified by Ray.

      Delete
    2. Site specific is the key word that you have nailed it. Room is small, placement is limited for sure. So one must work around the limitations while planning.

      Office setup never come to my mind not until I bumped into the NAIM SBL spk the rest is history.

      Office setup allows me to explore many options that I have not had the chance previously. Turntable, old classic integrated amp, even SET tube amps...

      As of now, there's still some issues to iron out, but that's the fun part of it!

      Cheers

      Delete
    3. Yes, I see it! Above the TV in the back.

      Delete
    4. I agree with the fun part. Also, working with constraints enhances creativity, contrary with what many people think. Most important is ergonomics. If you want to actually make the system a part of your life and not only an engineering achievement, it's the user experience that counts most. And that is where the Bluetooth, for instance, comes in handy. That is not to deny the appeal of specially designed listening chambers like those explored by Jean Hiraga in his 1970's travels to Japan, at the homes of daring DIYers. To each their own! And to every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. We can have different environments where we listen and different times when we have different purposes. I view the audiophile "lifestyle", if there is such a thing, as optimizing each environment for best experience within its proper limits. Perception of proper limits is the key to audiophile intelligence, in my view.

      Delete