12 December, 2020

Western Electric 126 20A 124

Click all pics to enlarge. Above, a beautiful street photo of Eric.

Workshop Visit: Eric L encounters Western Electric 

It's not everyday that one can witness the sound of a vintage Western Electric Amplifier.

I went with my old classmate Dr. Lo to his friend Ray's Workshop for a listen. Ray was the designer of Monarchy Audio back in its hey days. when his Pure Class A Amps and DAC's were winning a lot of followers and accolades [Ed: see Footnote 1]. The W.E. amp had been sent to his workshop for a major overhaul and was ready for a brief hearing! I would not want to miss this opportunity of course.

 
It is said in the old days cinemas employed up to 20 of these units, and there were more than 20000 units produced, which, after dumping and attrition, are now probably all in the hands of avid collectors. This W.E setup is a rare duo mono setup [Ed: see Footnote 2]. On each shelf, the top is the phono section, middle part is volume control and preamp and bottom part is the amplifier. Some of the caps and resistors have been replaced and the volume knobs repaired. All the tubes were housed behind the shelf as you can see in the photos. Push-pull mode with 24wpc.

Setup was hooked up to Rayaudio CDP and Monarchy Audio Bookshelf speaker . We were set to play Teresa Tang's lately released CD with historic recordings that have been discovered recently. The sound was extremely seductive and one was drawn into the music completely; as Ray described it, it was like being doped. The richness, lushness; and the satiny voice was well presented yet not overly sweetened. All not mindful of today's HIFI standards; not chasing the wide and deep soundstage nor pinpoint focus - it's the musicality that shines, as expected. We then changed to his modified LS3/5A, and the sound became clearer and imaging improved but yet we missed the magic of the richness and layered bass.
 

 
Then we switched over to Ray's new DIY 300B monoblock - sound was definitely more modern yet still immensely musical and more analytical at the same time. Microdynamics of violin passages were well presented with excitement on the rise and fall of the bow. Teresa's voice was more focused albeit less magical than WE - it's no slouch at all. I prefer this amp to W.E. as a better all rounder.
 
 

There's no point in criticising the sound of W.E. though - one should admire the virtues and forget about the shortcomings - the music was extremely sexy and seductive indeed. Had a wonderful and memorable time even though it's a brief session only!

Editor's Footnotes: [1] HK based MonarchyAudio made some good products. I am not exactly a fan of its DACs, which I have experience with, but I do vouch for its anti-jitter (re-clocking) device DIP (I still have a Mk I), which to me sounds better than its affordable rivals at the time, Sonic Frontier's Ultra-jitterbug or Audio Alchemy's DTI; [2] Thanks to our friend icefox, the rack has been identified as, from top down, 126 amplifier; 126 control; 126 power supply, 20A, 124 power amplifiers.

15 comments:

  1. That's a fun post. And great pictures! Fun!

    One thing I'd appreciate hearing about is your (or anyone's) thoughts about the current crop of Chinese tubes - especially 300B tubes. The more I've researched the greater my sense of respect for these tube manufacturers. However, I don't have any experience. And now there are so many options a person could spend $$$ and many months comparing them. LinLai? Shuguang? Various versions of Shuguangs as compared to TJ Full music... The list is amazing and daunting. I'm contentedly using JJ 300Bs but the reviews on the internet vary in their assessment of these tubes.
    Best regards, travel safe. Keep sharing. It's appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although this blog carries an ancient log of my 300B journey, perhaps I need to write a new one. HOWEVER, I don't have ANY current crop tubes. My many pairs all date from way back, around the time of the 2 enjoythemusic articles 20 years ago. If you read those, you will see Rochlin and Loesch differ GREATLY on the JJ 300B, so that serves as a reminder that it is personal and system dependent.

      That said, my advice is:

      1. Forget about boutique variants. Or that exact replica BS. Forget about psvane, Sophia etc etc, they are just marketing. Even the cheapest tubes use the SAME replica parts mostly. The more expensive, the more you should shy away. I'd NEVER buy tubes like "WE",Takatsuki, Elrog etc. I'd NEVER even buy the aforementioned psvane, Sophia etc. Some of these tubes cost the price of an amplifier, so I'd explore other tubes (like 2A3, 45 etc if your loudspeakers are efficient) rather than find out what is "best" (there is no such thing).

      2. Tianjin is another can of worm. I still have an original 300B and a 2.5V variant. Unlike many reviewers, I don't like their doctored and overly warm sound. Not recommended.

      3. I'd go for the most basic Shuguang and Russian tubes, one pair each to see the difference. Break-in is HIGHLY important, especially for the leaner Russian tubes. ALSO, do long run-in's initially so as to weed out early failures (not uncommon). That said, all mine are going strong. Once they reach steady state, they last a long time.

      I just may expand on this and write an article...

      Delete
    2. Thanks Markus!
      I'm not a tube expert by all means. However, my friend highly recommends me the Linlai tubes from Changsa Qiansheng Electric Light Source Co. Ltd. Maybe you can do some study of their products.

      Delete
    3. Interesting. Linlai is basically psvane. I shall talk to u later.

      Delete
    4. doctorjohn i've be very grateful if you could expand with an article on the current crop 300b tubes. Being a relatively young audiophile (charting a course through audio heaven/purgatory/hell with your blog as guide), I was born in the wrong decade acquire reasonably priced nos tubes (not to mention aged sheng puer and genuine yixing).

      Delete
    5. My position remains the same, and I don't have access to modern variants, but I know much of it is hot water. I'd just say get a pair of basic of Shuguang and Russian and live with it.

      Delete
  2. 300b tubes never again, for me the best tubes are the cheapest Russian 6P15P-EV, i only use a decware zen amp, for me the best amp there is !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly an amp that I'd not mind hearing myself, and perhaps compare to the Almarro A205A. The 6P15P, being kinda EL84, is easy to drive. I like the tube recitification. Reasonable price.

      Delete
    2. I don't know much about tube amps. When I was into headphones before recently moving on to speakers, I picked up a Decware Mini Torii Mk2. Anyone here have any comments on how it might pair with Klipsch La Scala?

      Delete
    3. I am pretty sure it'd work

      Delete
  3. Hello sir, i had both but the decware is alot better then the almarro, even if you put the almarro in triode, the decware is better. Verry special amplifier but you have to wait for 5 or 6 months if you order one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks very promising indeed! Any view of this Doctor?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, seems a good deal. 2 wpc is good for me but not for a lot of people.

      Delete
  4. The new Monarchy amps look beautiful and I suppose sound better still. But the appeal of WE stuff is unique. It's interesting that it was called "Western" electric and now it's probably all or mostly in Asia. The WE legacy crossed the Pacific at some point. They should be very rare now. Also, from your description, it's easy to imagine some might like the WE sound better, I mean it could become a matter of personal preference to some extent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray said he has improved the circuit design, but I only heaed his 300B mono, so can't tell. I'm sure it has improved!

      WE has its magic n limitations, so it's very personal, provided you are
      1) rich enough to afford one,
      2) able to locate one which is so rare
      3) know a few who can revamp n overhaul it as usually they are almost certain not in good shape

      I do admire and respect those who are willing to take a plunge fot it
      Cheers

      Delete