18 December, 2022

Elekit TU-875 Aiyima A08 Pro

Letter from Hong Kong (22-14): ELO finds his Preamp, Elekit TU-875

Who would be interested in a review of a long-discontinued preamp which was sold mostly as a kit? But I think the point is, sometimes you need to look high and low for the right equation and missing link to complete your journey of searching for the perfect system. Therefore, I'm always open to new "old" ideas to improve my overall setup. While my icOn4 passive AVC preamp is very good, I somehow feel it does not have synergy with the Aiyima A08 Pro. Like I said before, this time I'm looking for a tube amp to smooth the edges of A08 Pro. Of the four preamps in consideration, TU-875 is the cheapest of the four (remaining three are the Nagra PLP, Shindo Claret and Lab12 Pre). So, if it works out, I would have picked up a sonic bargain!

"Can I get both Fish and Bear's Paw at the same time?" Let's go find out!!!

Elekit TU-875 Prelude - Benchmarking its Performance
Apart from listening to live performances, home and shop visits are also very important experiences that HiFi and music lovers must gain in order to gauge how your system stands among other great setups! See my latest visit report.

So, I have been to some home visits and showrooms with really great sound, and that is excellent to benchmark the system that I have at home. Otherwise, I will be non-objectively indulging myself and bluffing on how good the sound quality of my own setup is, like a frog at the bottom of the well LOL.

After a few weeks of listening and continuous tweaking, the sound of my TU-875 had improved leaps and bounds. When I first hooked it up, the sound already instantly gained some smoothness and analytical power. However, there was still a layer of haze masking the music. I suspected that the Gotham GAC4 may be the culprit (and it would soon be replaced by the "Studer" interconnects; see below; I had my fingers crossed that it could clear out the mist).

However, before the cable arrived, several things, though small tweaks, that I have implemented over the last few weeks proved highly effective and had unexpectedly huge impact in improving the overall sound quality!
  • 1) I hooked up the Subwoofer!! I had thought I had hooked it up with my 47 lab flimsy cable, but IT WAS NOT!!! I immediately replaced it with my Grimm TPR and voila, the image solidified, haze lifted and noise floor was lowered too, with addition of an extra layer of refinement along the way (which is exactly what the addition of subwoofer will offer).
  • 2) I hooked up my DIY ground box with similar magnitude of improvement! (P.S. I took my ground box to my friend CW's place to try out and the results was positive. Overall music involvement and PRAT had improved markedly. CW ended up later adding a KOJO Crystal ground box that also resulted in marked sound improvement. I just wonder how my DIY will fare with his KOJO~)
  • 3) I pulled out the 2 tubes for the phono circuit as recommended by DJ, then I turned up the volume and immediately I thought there's difference but was not really sure what that was - another Snake oil? After turning on the unit cold with only one tube plugged in for the line stage, sound did not change much and I mumbled to myself whether I should tell DJ that there's no change at all. However, after half an hour, the sound seemed to have transformed. Voices became more pronounced, emotionally involving and different shades of singing was beautifully portrayed in front of me. Imaging was now more nailed to the center as well.
  • 4) I replaced all I.C. to "Studer" IC, which I'll talk about later.
  • 5) enter the Luna power cable along with the Studer cable. It was hooked up to the 220/110V transformer powering the TU-875.
Preview/TBA:
  • 6) To use a better 220V SMPS to replace the stock unit (TBA)
  • 7) Upgrade my Luna Gris speaker cable to Orange, a step up from Gris (TBA)
  • 8) A network switch with a proper LPS (TBA but initial experience is rather mixed)
  • 9) UMI transformer signal isolation device (will directly compare it with Rayaudio's) (TBA)
Overall Sound of Elekit BEFORE including one extra pair of Studer cable into the mix
How would I describe the sound of this little unit? Sound is very refined and smooth. Instruments has body and shimmer; bass is good but has slightly less slam compared with using BT on Aiyima A08 Pro standalone. It has great analytical power, yet not cool and sterile. It's musical, with microdynamics which paints a colourful picture of instruments; in particular, vocals have lots of decay and attenuation. It's not lean at all, yet not bloated, just the right perfect body instead of needle-like imaging. Soundstage is very open, natural and extended to both sides to the wall as well as to ceiling. Music is slightly set backward compare with A08 pro standalone.

Timbre is accurate, better than A08 Pro standalone.

Strings are delicate with nice portrayal of hairpin turns. Acoustic Guitar plucking is solid, with good body, quickness, tenacity and roundness, as well as attack. Bass guitar with attack, authority and sufficient body that is life size. Drums are quick, decisive, with good timing and body, bass slam and PRAT is tad behind A08 Pro alone but still very respectable.

Vocal is where this preamp really excels. It is top notch, capable of capturing all the shadings, techniques and tonal colours delivered by the singer. I am not talking about the breathing or swallowing of saliva (which are just by-products), rather the singer's skills and emotions that is being conveyed to the listener. The rise and fall of singer's voice is parabolic instead of straight-line; starts and stops and change of tone and speed are far more pronounced, such that the whole thing is more emotionally involved. You can actually hear the performers directly sing deep into your heart. Some apparently sing less emotionally or more technically than the others, and it is easier to pick this up with TU-875. I always use this analogy: great equipment will give you Celine Dion's voice while lesser equipment will give you a bar singer's or an ailing Celine's performance. With due respect, some bar singers are still very good, but it's still just not Celine Dion at her best! just found out about the sad news of her "Stiff person disease". Just wish she can overcome it and keep singing for us and for herself!

During the course of replay, you feel the ebb and flow of it, and there's also a synergy among the musicians as if they are playing for and against each other and trying to feed off the energy from each other. That makes you want to keep listening without fatigue as you hear unity in performance.

I have been comparing the music playback through Bluetooth from A08 Pro to A08 Pro /TU-875/ WEA. I must say nowadays music reproduction quality from Bluetooth has improved leaps and bounds and it is not trailing too far behind WiFi streaming! Without intensive and careful auditioning between the two, I could, and I swear that I can live happily with the standalone A08 Pro playing BT music from my LGTV as well as BT from my laptop playing Tidal music - and this is after intensely comparing both options.

Enter the extra pair of Studer IC
Alas, I finally received the Studer IC. I ordered a total of 7m in bulk, and that converts to 3 pairs of 1m IC, 2 pair of 0.25m pairs IC (for use with Rayaudio's signal Tx isolation). I had already been using a pair of Studer IC between my WEA and TU-875. The extra pair was used between TU-875 and A-08 Pro.

The sound has literally further transformed and has reached another whole new level, no shxt!!! At the same time Kwong has also made a pair of the Studer IC for himself and hooked it between his Audionet ART CDP and Amp and has experienced the same Audio Nirvana (slightly LOL?)

What has actually happened? As soon as I hooked up the cable, I was immediately drawn into the music. The wholeness, coherence and sheer musicality just forced me into the world of the musicians, and that makes you forget to analyse the virtues of the cable. "This is MUSIC", the cable is trying to tell me - enjoy and stop criticising.

When I finally came back to Earth, I started to analyse what has happened (I'm a damn engineer anyway). First of all, this cable completely trounced my GAC4 in every way.

It's smooth, organic, musical; notes seem to connect seamlessly as a whole; body fleshes up without being bloated, and with finesse. You pick up the subtle changes from fff to ff to f, or ppp to pp to p; treble notes seem to sustain in the air and feel ethereal. Harmonics is so rich and in abundance; extension on both ends is great; bass has plumpness, and pluckiness; especially with double bass, the sappiness, speed and transients are there and approaching that of the A08 Pro standalone performance. Sound is exciting, yet not even a bit fatiguing when playing music at a respectable level; engaging and involving with PRAT with no signs of digital glare and edges! Imaging and detail retrieval are top class; you can pick up so many instrumental details even at ppp that was never heard before.

Addition of the Luna Gris power cord has further improved everything, though not as dramatic as the Studer.

Up to this point, I really think I am very close to getting both fish and bear's paw...

Sparkler Audio S503 CDP vs WEA
Well, there was one more thing I could try. I wanted to see how my Sparkler Audio CDP will fare through my Elekit with my newly acquired Luna Gris Cable and Studer cables.

Unfortunately, with all the better cables and Elekit TU-875, WEA still sounds much better than the Sparkler S503. With due respect, S503 ia a very nice CD player already. But I think it's about time to consider converting all my CDs into NAS... Been talking to Dom Tu of iAngel, who carries Innous/Plixir/47 Lab/Sparkler Audio in HK; he is trying to get me a old Zen Mini MkII streamer/CD ripper to try out~

Two modes of listening : A-08 Pro vs A-08 Pro/TU-875
Now, the PRAT of A08 Pro/TU-875 is 80% of the A08 Pro standalone. The A08 Pro standalone provides the extra slam and fun that is so thrilling and exciting to listen. So, if I ever want that last bit of slam and fun, I will switch to Bluetooth mode and play music through my TV or Tidal and Youtube through my Laptop!

When I want ultimate hifi mode, I would stick with the combo instead of A08 Pro standalone. I ended up listening with the A08 Pro/TU-875 combo 90% of the time!

I can now play both music that requires huge dynamic, slam and directness as well as music that is more delicate and demanding of delicate emotions with the A08 Pro/TU-875 combo!

For readers with a budget, you can play Tidal through Bluetooth from standalone A08 Pro and it is of really respectable quality. But if you want ultimate music Nirvana, acquire the A08 Pro/TU-875 combo! It's still dirt cheap anyway. (Editor: this is not practical for most people, as the Elekit TU-875 is likely only available in Japan second hand. HK readers are more fortunate in that they can use third party companies to bid/buy from Japan)

Final Thoughts
Ultimately, A08 Pro/TU875 is the definite winner in terms of sheer musicality, genuine vocal portrayal and deep emotional involvement (as with details, soundstaging, background darkness and quickness). But, that said, I can still easily live with with A08 Pro alone should I not have come across the TU-875 ! A08 Pro does have a slight edge of PRAT and slam in music, plus a bit of coarseness and edge to music which I think is FUN sometimes.

But I do treasure highly the finesse, refinement and musical involvement that A08 Pro/TU875 provides. There is no listening fatigue, and with this combo and I can listen for hours and not get tired of the lovely music it can produce.

The miniscule combo of Elekit TU-875/ Aiyima A08 Pro / Wattson Emerson Analog, all roughly palm-size, with total weight of less than 5 lbs, pumps out volume and quality of music that is unheard of in my years of experience! Cost wise, the amp/pre costs at $450USD and represents a colossal bargain in today HiFi world that demands thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars for a decent system.

How does my current system stand against the sounds of previous home and shop visits? I can comfortably say that it does not shy away from any of these systems at all. In my early days when I started the HiFi journey, I always felt depressed and lacked motivation to hear my system at home after showroom visits that sounded so spectacular. But not with my current setup, which can stand up against these multi-thousand dollar setups comfortably without feeling inferior in terms of music performance!

Currently, I feel that any further improvement will be icing on the cake instead of a complete upgrade. Having said that, I always welcome surprises but, for now, I will revert to my most treasured and ultimate mode, that is, music enjoying mode!

Of course, I still having high expectations from the Luna Orange, UMI unit, dedicated PS and Bonn N8 network switch that can impact to my current setup! Stay tuned!!

Music used for assessing the system
Numerous Youtube videos from Blue Note Tokyo, Bob James and Tiny Desk Concerts etc

Tidal Music
Far too good - John Smith - uncanny voice with foot tapping solo guitar. Great lyrics.
Rainbow - Kacey Musgraves - uplifting. Hope and positivity through her voice, lyrics and songs.
Blue Orchids - Bill Charlap - amazing attack on piano notes and soothing jazz tunes.
Two Lonely People - Susana Wong - duo sing with one heart; not a usual fan of hers but this one is exception.
Welchester Lady - Bob James - as usual so tuneful and fun.
So What (Live) - Michel Petrucciani - High energy and piano attacks that shockingly knocks on my head!
Where Breathing Starts - Tord Gustavsen - slow ballad that emotionally feels like gently adrift on a slow boat.
The Sky - Allan Taylor - great effect, soundstage; crisp guitar and uncanny voice.
My Favorite Things - Youn Sun Nah - amazing and realistic voice with single, cymbal-like percussion instrument.
When I think of Angels - Eivor - such touching and genuine voice that caresses your heart
One Wish (Trio Version) - Hiroshima - slow version which is preferred to original one; and the Koto plucking is so realistic and beautiful!
My Foolish Heart/ Spain - Chick Corea Trio - scintillating performance. They play together as one, with fire and passion (both A-08 Pro/TU-875 and A-08 Pro standalone options are good)
Bali Run - Fourplay - A-08 Pro standalone has slight edge, but with TU-875, you hear more details.
Bei Shan Wang Hai Li Bu Kai (Live) - Kay Tse - Guitars, sax and drums and dreamy vocals - highly recommended.
Elephant on Ice Skates - Brian Bromberg - showcasing the tenacity of the lightning-fast bass guitar, which has great body!
Volver, volver - Buika -showcasing the dynamic range of her vocals; so much emotions!
Paris - Cy Leo - World champion harmonica artist has such everchanging shades and tones to get you emotionally involved. A must.
The ship is at the Landing - Krut Reiersrud - Twanging of guitars is so fun to hear (both versions are worth listening)

26 comments:

  1. what type of Studer IC that you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tbh, I cannot authenticate this cable as it is purchased from Taobao, hence I use double quote in naming it, lol
      However, for dirt cheap price, the performance is extraordinary!
      I'll try to get you link if you are a regular in Taobao

      Delete
    2. Please help to share the Studer IC taobao links :)

      Delete
    3. 【闲鱼】https://m.tb.cn/h.UQHgCUW?tk=HKITd4Rsy3n CZ0001 「快来捡漏【瑞士士丢打信号线,近新,纯进口硬货,外观不出众性能却牛逼,附】」
      点击链接直接打开

      Delete
    4. Let me know your impression if you ever gets it!

      Delete
  2. Isn’t it strange the “tube” Ayima Preamp wasn’t your choice but the Elekit Instead ? I can only say it’s only variable is “impedance synergy “ May I have thre audacity to recommend this killer piece of a power cord that will have you going through all your music collection again:SG$ 39.49 50% Off | 15cores Nordost Valhalla OFC Copper 7N Silver Plated EU Power Cable power cord with Carbon fiber power plug Hifi Mains cord
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLzIhz0

    Try on your Elekit 1st.
    PS: I’m sure you will change all your cords. If you think like I did the Stirling Beydas was a breadth of fresh air with one of history’s best c/p value. Wait till you hear what this cord can do— SL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a legitimate question. Why not Aiyima tube pre? Answer is I intend to use the T08pro as my main amplifier and would like to max out the performance of it. If you recall I wrote that I want to explore preamp like those of Nagra PLP and Shindo's!
    Second, I just can't stand the look of the combo. Like an incense stick up in an incense urn....😑

    My only experience with Nordost is their Red Dawn IC but it was compared down immediately by my dubious "Studer" IC. As for power cord, I'm using Luna cable Gris with good result. But I would also take a look at the Nordost that you recommended, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are typos where T08 Pro is supposed to read A08 Pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, thanks for pointing out. Duly edited.

      Delete
  5. I have followed your 1212 list, buy all 史特靈 LS3/5A; 24”stands; 4S10F :)
    now is searching the tube-pre, would Elekit TU-8500 be the upgrade choice of TU-875 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you MUST tell us if you are happy!???? For my taste, TU-875 is better than the 8500 but it's not easy to get one unless you go to Yahoo Japan. The 8500 is very decent but I think the 875 has the extra magic.

      Delete
    2. Hi Luca, a few years back I also look at 8500 but didn't wanna ruin the unit with my zip diy knowhow... But glad I obtain the TU875!

      Delete
    3. Already listened for weeks, this combo is amazing.
      LS 3/5A is warm & with emotional sounding. &After setting up all stuff, 3/5A become more colorful, there is a punchier bass and a meatier midrange. It is worth for getting this combo.

      Now searching the Elekit pre-tube & R2R DAC, to see if LS 3/5A would be more meatier.

      Delete
    4. Sorry for late reply. There are now so many DAC choices with R2R which worth looking into. Brands like Gustard, DENAFRIPS, HOLO, Soekris. But one thing though, some brands may fall onto to the softer side to gain the "naturalness". But overall, they are interesting enough to get one for trial!
      As for choice of preamp, I'm sure Dr J has his take on Elekit preamp mp and I had taken his words and obtained the TU875!
      But there are many in the Chinese Market to choose!
      Also Rayaudio has a prototype tube preamp which is of superb sound quality as quoted by my friend Kwong!

      Delete
  6. any suggestion of the RCA for tube amp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very broad question which will draw a thousand opinions and answers. For me, I have been happy with my dubious yet highly competent "Studer" cables acquired from China Market which works extremely well for my setup. I'm sure Dr. John will have his own preference to suggest you!

      Delete
    2. Not sure I understand the question at all. The process of determining what interconnect to use between preamp and amp is the same whether the pre is tube or solid state. By ears.

      Delete
  7. I have been running my TU-875 on and off since May 2023. It has proved to be capable and competes with my other classic preamps such as Audible Illusions M2d. I am not a believer of riddling around with wires but am ready to use my soldering guns when the need arises.

    TU-875 is in itself a class of its own as it has a capable MC stage running opamps, excellent MM stage running opamps and two 12AU7 valves, and can be changed for different stronger amplification rates by replacing a couple of resistors per the user’s manual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Doctor John and E Lo, I want to thank you both for sharing with us your feedback and advice as you continue your audio journey. Following this article, I decided to buy an Elekit TU-875 to use in my stereo system here in the United States. It was tough because I had to use a third party buying service to get access to Yahoo Auctions Japan but I got it, it arrived yesterday. I wanted to ask you just a couple of questions. One is regarding the power supply, the Japanese power supply is for 100V and puts out 7V at 2A. I already bought a Linear power supply with the right 110V input, but I wonder if you did use the Japanese power supply (rated for 100V) in the United States which is 110v. And the second question is related to tubes, which tubes would you recommend to get the most of the tube sound of the tu-875 without losing soundstage and/or muddying the sound. I am planning to use the Tu-875 with my Apollon Stereo NCx500 Class D amplifier. I am currently using it with the Aiyima T7 with a WE396A tube. It will be very interesting to compare the sound with the Elekit in place! Thanks for your effort and your time, Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) The stock Wall Wart is so small one assumes it to be an SMPS. VK (original NA distributor) told me that it works as is in NA (I never tried it as in NYC I have a dedicated 100V Line) but ELO in HK, which is 220V, tried and saw smoke. So I'd be a worried. This could be that most SMPS wall warts we use to power up various devices have low current draw, but the Elekit draws quite a bit; 2) Most PS of yore would tolerate 10 percent variation in input voltage but Stateside I think 110V is passed down as the voltage but the reality is much higher. In NYC, we have 125V! And that would be a 25 percent deviation from 100V.
      2) I want to clarify your LPS. It has 110V input and I presume can put out 7V DC. The last hurdle concerns the DC Plug, which is NOT the most common size (this according to ELO, I bought for him a bunch of adaptors and he said they don't fit). If you have a caliper, measure the external and internal diameters of the plug. Another way is to use a VARIAC, which is useful anyway for those of us into vintage gear.
      3) If the Elekit comes with stock tubes (JAN) they are pretty good already. I certainly would not sub modern day tubes. Old-stock 12AU7 etc will be an improvement. But solve your PS problem first.
      4) Last, a reminder, with tube preamp driving sand amps, ALWAYS first turn on the preamp and let it warm up for at least 1 minute before turning on the amp - this is to avoid the DC offset of the tube preamp at turn on.
      5) Come back and report when your problems are solved or if you need extra help.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind and detailed reply Doctor John. I appreciate it.

      I agree with not even trying the 100v stock Wall Wart power supply here in Virginia.

      Today, I will receive a power supply that has 110V input and puts out 7 volts and 2.5 amperes. The original Wall Wart for the TU-875 says 2A, but 2.5A is ok since the preamp will only pull the amperes it needs.

      And yes, I need to make sure I get the adapter right. I think that the one in the Wall Wart is a 3.5mm (external diameter of the plug) x 1.35mm (internal diameter). I will get an adaptor tonight that may work as a bridge between the 5.5mm x 2.1mm (very common) of my new LPS to the Elekit.

      I will report back on all of this and the sound very soon. Thanks also for the advice about waiting 1 minute after turning on the tube preamp, it is very helpful.

      Delete
    3. Would be glad to hear from you once everything is in place. I particular, we'd like to confirm that 5.5/1.35 is indeed the correct plug for the Elekit. Thx.

      Delete
    4. Hi Doctor John, 

      Last night, I had my first listening session with the Elekit TU-875.

      First, I would like to say that the right DC connector is 4.8mm (external diameter) by 1.7 (internal diameter). I tried many DC connectors and this is the only one that worked. The Elekit worked great with that DC connector and with my new Teradak 7 volts 2.5 Amperes power supply.

      The Elekit had the Jan Philips 5963 stock tubes. I listened to my favorite tracks, the ones that allow me to understand the sonic flavors in detail for 3 hours and I could confidently say that the Elekit is superior than the Aiyima T7.

      I will be able to elaborate further as I listen to it more. But, I noticed some evident improvements.

      The Elekit presents a wider soundstage, a bit wider than the Aiyima. The Elekit presents a soundstage that has lots of depth, much more depth than the Aiyima. And this last detail increases the perception of having the musicians in the room with you. Also, the Elekit is more transparent and presents instruments with a more accurate tone.

      In short, the Elekit presents a more holographic experience with a very deep soundstage and placing the musicians with much better separation in space.

      So, there is no doubt that the Elekit is a much better preamplifier. And this is considering that the Aiyima T7 was using the W396A tube, which many consider one of the best of its kind. 

      I noticed some issues with the Elekit, which I attribute them all solely to the Philips Jan 5963 tube. I noticed that the high frequencies were a bit cut or recessed, The midrange did not have a liquid, warm image and so the center image for the voice was not better than with the Aiyima with the W396A tube. Also, the bass of the Elekit was a bit tight and cut off in the lowest frequencies. 

      Since for now, I plan to use the Elekit only as a line preamplifier, I will experiment first by changing just the center tube, which I think is the one affecting the line duties in the Elekit. The other two tubes on the side are the ones for the phono stage I believe. So, I have ordered 1 RCA Blackplate, 1 Amperex Bugle Boy, and 1 1960s Mullard. I will experiment and report back on the improvements. 

      All in all, I am very happy with the Elekit. I can discern, even with some shortcomings due to the tubes, that it the Elekit is in a different league than the Aiyima T7.

      Delete
    5. What a delight! I'm so glad your persistent efforts paid off. Wow, just to think of it, a bidding agent, shipping to US shores, an LPS and a bank of DC connectors to find the right one. I must applaud you!

      I'm even more glad that FINALLY the correct DC connector size is revealed! MANY thanks! Indeed the 4.8*1.7 is quite oddball! I shall update info in this blog (my original article)

      What you heard with the GE JAN 5693 is a very accurate description of it! While it's superior to any current Russian and Chinese tubes other old-stock u7s, such as the ones that you ordered, shall beat it. Yes, that front tube is the line stage.

      Take your time to get back!

      Delete
  9. Doctor John, happy to share my experiences, and show my appreciation to the amazing work you and your colleagues have done in this blog. I will surely be back in 2 weeks or so when all these tubes arrive and I can test them properly. I will try to take detailed notes.

    ReplyDelete